XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Exhaust Noise - Gurgling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Noise - Gurgling Sound

I have had this 2005 XJ8L for about 2 years, recently (winter time) I've noticed a pronounces "Gurgling" sound coming from the left exhaust pipe, only. I'm not losing any antifreeze or oil, and I did have an issue this winter where the car wouldn't start (I think it was a frozen line at -20.) The car starts fine, idles fine, and revs well.

Any thoughts out there?

p.s. I' m a seasoned DIY mechanic and this vehicle has had all the regular maintenance and required fluid changes.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Default Me too!

My 04 XJ8 is doing the same thing, but from both tips. I'm losing no coolant or oil, but in cold weather condensate-like vapor emits from both tips also. Have you been able to figure this out?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Default Gurgling cause and effect solved ?

With short commutes, and particularly in cold weather, I believe condensated water builds up inside the exhaust system in such an amount as to create the gurgling sound. Mine began doing it last week, and yesterday I had the opportunity to drive approx 50 miles. I drove in a "spirited" fashion, accelerating hard where space allowed. Reaching my destination 25 miles away, I got out and listened to both tips. One had gone totally silent of gurgle, the other only slightly audible. After returning home, both tips were quiet. Gas mileage will suffer, but an occasional hot run appears to be the answer.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Italian Tune up!

Ahh yes, the old "Italian Tune Up" Sorry if that sounds politically INcorrect - its actually a compliment of sorts and its about cars, not people, si I truly hope I have not offended anyone. A True Italian Tune Up, AFAIK is running the engine up to redline and keeping it there for several minutes. It takes steady nerves (and knowing that your engine is mechanically sound and has clean oil) to hold a car at redline, in some cases sitting in the driveway. Theres no better way to burn off carbon build up, at least no way thats quite as soul stirring as to hear that small 4.2 liter V8 in full song! Whether this is actually "necessary" is point if debate, in fact there is a Wikipedia page devoted to the subject:

Italian tuneup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But seriously? I am betting you could get a very similar benefit from a few WOT runs perhaps 1-2 times a month, getting the carbon off and getting that moisture evaporated from the exhaust. It's true that numerous short trips in clod weather do not allow the condensation to burn off, additionally the engine spends a larger percentage of time running rich so I notice I get more black residue on the exhaust tips under these conditions. Like the little old lady use to say in the V6 Camry commercial: "When that happens I just PUNCH IT!"

The following users liked this post:
gmanhorse (01-02-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 07:07 AM

My turned out to be water in the gas. After about 6 to 8 weeks of regular driving the gurgle went away. Since gas tanks are stored in the ground, some water does seep in, but this was more than just seeping.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Maybe try some sea foam to eliminate any water/ethanol issues which maybe sat in the bottom of your fuel tank and the foot to floor Italian tune up once or so a month.

The following users liked this post:
gmanhorse (01-03-2015)