XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

experiences with the Mercedes E-class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts
Default experiences with the Mercedes E-class?

This is the kind of question one would post on the Mercedes E-Class forum, but I'm curious to know if any x350 owners have experience with/impressions of the w212 E Class, specifically the E350.

I went to test drive an E350 coupe yesterday. Not sure if I'm sold on it, or if I even want to get rid of the XJ yet. Hard to tell from a short test drive if I could live with the car. Clearly these are 2 different class of cars (the XJ would compete with the S-Class), but it may be time for something smaller. I have the biggest XJ that Jaguar made, and yet 98% of the time I'm driving it by myself.

My friend that went with me (rode in the back) said that it was a much harsher ride, more like his modified Mustang than my Jag. I didn't get such a distinct impression from the driver's seat, though it's certainly a sportier car. I don't know I can deal with the low driving position, and difficult entry/exit.

Clearly also a step down in terms of material quality (not real leather, lots of hard plastics inside), but it was okay for its price point. Was surprised that the 3.5 V6 is so noisy when outside the car... made ticking noises at idle that we would consider abnormal on the AJ engine. but we are talking about a simpler car with a normal coil spring suspension, no active shocks, and not a lot of "new" technology and gizmos to break down.

Anyone here have any feedback from longer-term ownership?

-Michael

Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Wife had one for about 5 months if I recall. We couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Yes the M-Tex is MB version of vinyl and its crap.

She bought the car as pre certified. I noticed the wood was faded. There was a recall on her model but the dealer and MB USA wouldn't budge. I had to fight with MB USA to get them to replace the wood as part of their certification includes wood inspection and pass.

On to the main reasons she pitched it. There was a faulty ignition and when traveling down to her mothers funeral, in a snowstorm, exited the freeway and when the vehicle dropped to under 5 mph, the car put itself into park and died. Slid right through an intersection. This continued on the trip down and needless to say, this was extremely dangerous but worse, not unheard of in Benz World.

Next safety issue was a constant drift to the right. I thought it was an alignment issues but it was the tires (brand new).

Then, without hitting any pot holes or hard bumps, one wheel went out of true and tire wouldn't hold air.

3 safety issues in 5 months?

The seats are very uncomfortable for long distances, or they were for me at least.

This was a 2010 model with under 10k miles. I think Chrysler owned MB at the time.

I've owned the 04 S-Class and it was a joy. Still couldn't hold a candle to my 05 Super V8 but was still a great car.

I've since moved into the XK150. As you say though, too low to get in and out of for you.

My wife drives the Cadillac SRX. Much easier to get in and out of. I also became a fan of the Ford Focus believe it or not. Was one of the most comfortable mid size, daily driver and would take it in a heartbeat over an E-Class.

Best of luck in your search. I would avoid high end mid size cars. They are full of spend problems, doesn't matter the brand. They are the "Starter Home" of luxury cars.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-27-2016 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mhamilton (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Thank you Sean, great information!

I had also heard about the seats being uncomfortable on the MB forum. I didn't get to sit in it long enough to decide that. The silly "turn signal switch for a gear selector" was something that stood out to me as a determent as well. Completely not tactile.

But surprisingly, that is my one big complaint about the Jaguar rotary gear switch. I had an XF as a loaner when my XJ was in. I found the interior materials to be as good as the XJ, the S/C V6 was about on par with the 4.2 V8 (minus some torque). But I hated the gimmicky power dash vents, and that gear knob drove me crazy for the day I had it. What was ever wrong with a regular stick? No, now I have to stop, look down at the console for a knob, then look to see what gear it's indicating. Backing into a parking space became a 2 minute ordeal.

There are really very few new(er) cars out there I'd consider these days. Not much grabs my attention. The Tesla S was nice, but I found the rear suspension to be rather clunky. I don't know... maybe I should keep the XJ as a weekend car, and just get a Chevy for commuting.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Surely Chrysler never owned MB?

Hmmmmm Just Googled it.

It's technically incorrect it is described as a "merger of equals" but

the effect is probably the same.

Last edited by meirion1; 04-27-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I forgot about the turn signal shifter! Yikes, I think I may have downshifted a couple times instead of turning right

Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I rented a 2015 E350 in September of last year and drove it for 5 days while on a trip. Overall I liked the car. I appreciated that it did have some tech features that my 08 XJ doesn't have and I liked the solid feel that it had on the road.

BUT, the problem with the E-Class (and the 5-series also) is that it's EVERYWHERE. When driving around Atlanta I don't think that I can go 5 minutes without seeing 5 of them. I do enjoy the slight exclusivity of the beautifully styled Jaguar XJ (both X358 and X351)

The other problem with the E-Class is that it doesn't feel as luxurious as the XJ that I have. It feels more sport than luxury. The leather isn't as supple (if it was even leather). The wood iss unimpressive (what little it had). And the "all-business" styling of the controls are just blah.

So for me, it's XJ all the way. And when I do decide to get another car, it will be the X351.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

The E-Class is no where near the in the same class. You would need to go to the S-class to even get near the level of a X350/358. There is no way to comare the two. Even with the S-class, you won't get the exclusitivity or the looks from others compared to the XJ. The XJ says "luxury", The Merc just says "cold stark cash".