XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

factory DAB, DAB+, SDARS/Sirius, IBOC retrofit for all X350

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this U-tube video of help? I think there are few more similar U-tube ones too.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jagit
Hey Gents,

I have acquired what I thought were the difficult pieces to install sirius. I have the gateway, the sirius module, the D2b cable and the MOST cable. What I cannot seem to find is the connections to the gateway and sirius modules. I looked behind the rear seat, and I found an empty antenna lead and power connection but they are at the c-pillar at the top of the door. The sirius module is mounted in the center of the car. Can anyone tell me if there was a wiring extension used? Also, in reviewing the wiring diagram for the car a connection is mentioned for the gateway power. When I first acquired the car, she who must be obeyed, called sirius and provided the VIN, sirius stated the receiver was still in use. I have inferred that the unit was moved to another vehicle.

So the question is where are the leads and connectors for the gateway and sirius module. I think the ones I found behind the seat can be extended with the correct connections. That leaves the gateway. I found the connector pictured below. What I cannot figure out is what is the device it is connected to? There are no other potential connections.

Does someone with a factory installation have pictures for the gateway and the connections they can share? TIA

Greg

Hi Greg,
I don't have a factory install but installed mine, albeit with a DAB module so the in car module aerial plug will be slightly different.
There is no factory pre wiring so you'll have to run the wiring yourself. However there isn't too much to it if you follow the wiring diagram.

Do you have the in dash head unit for SDARS?

I've attached a couple of pictures below of the factory locations of the modules, hopefully this helps?

Gateway module in bracket without wiring

Gateway module wired in with power, MOST and D2B in descending order from the top of the module.

DAB module installed behind rear seatback. With power, MOST, and aerial plug in order from L-R.

Picture from 2008 model guide showing SDARS module installed

The following users liked this post:
Partick the Cat (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon,

Thank you for the pictures. It seems there are a lot of different installation. I am trying to figure out where to get the plug for the gateway module. I can get an extension for the antenna and the power for the SDARS/DAB modules is easy. I have both ends of that connection. I have yet to see a connection. I have the catalog on order from SNG. I am hoping the catalog will have the plug. As I mentioned, the car originally had Sirius, I just want to re-install. I was reading the electrical diagrams for the car (I know, I need help), it seems that there is a different connection layout depending on what was installed. The gateway is standard but the location varies for IBOC/SDARS/DAB. I have asked a couple of breakers to keep an eye out for the wiring for an XJ with satellite. They come up regularly but the breakers never seem to give the wiring a second thought.

Greg

Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Greg.

Cameron attempted this before me for his car and looked for a plug for the gateway but couldn’t locate it. So he and I have both used the inside pins of spare mulitplugs, covered with heatshrink and pressed over the pins of the gateway. It works and it’s the only “ non factory “ part of the install.

The module whether, dab, sdars or iboc is located behind the rear seat back.

Its strange that someone would remove the Sdars installation. I know that there was a dealer fit sdars module which replaced the ashtray and was fitted with an aerial intercept. That might have been previously fitted?
Does your head unit say; Band, CD, CDC?

Hope you get it working, but if there’s anything else I can do just shout.
Simon.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Just reporting that I have now got this up and running in a Jaguar-S- type, 2006! Had a few hiccups along the way, mainly to with power and wiring, but finally used the auxillary power supply provided in the S-type boot. I will links this into the S-Type discussion boards.

Cambo (10-20-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Would I be right in thinking that the MOST connectors (ie for the fibre optics between the Gateway and the DAB module) are the same as the ones advertised as fitting Mercedes/Audi/BMW/VW ?

Old 11-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Don't know if it really answers your question, but the one I used were:
Dension compat Fiber optic Most Line cable male plug to male plug extender cable | eBay

Partick the Cat (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@Patric, yes the connectors are the same.

However if you are trying an IBOC module it takes MOST+4 connector. This is the MOST 2 fiber optic lines and 4 electrical lines. It is a standard connector, just different.

Partick the Cat (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks both.

IBOC ? Nope, I'm in the UK so it's DAB (not even DAB+).

I sourced a DAB module last December, and a gateway module a few weeks ago from NJ-US.

I thought I'd found a gateway on the interweb in Birmingham UK a few weeks before but that one didn't turn up

I'm now in the process of gathering the connection bits.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 11-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 AM
Angry Spoke too soon!

Originally Posted by Neville Punchard
Just reporting that I have now got this up and running in a Jaguar-S- type, 2006! Had a few hiccups along the way, mainly to with power and wiring, but finally used the auxillary power supply provided in the S-type boot. I will links this into the S-Type discussion boards.
Sorry, I may have spoken too quickly! I have all the units installed and recognised by the head unit, so I get the DAB menus. etc. I have installed a Land Rover Discovery 4 DAB Module ( CPLA-14F720-BL).
The only thing left is an aerial and I (naively) thought that this would be simple, - but it is not! I have tried just connecting various aerial without an amplifier- but not a squeak! I have tried a Land Rover Friedlander 2 Aerial Amplifier ( 6H5218C847CA), that required an external power connection, but no luck.
From the wiring diagram it looks like the DAB aerial does not have any external power in the XF and the XJ? I think that I only need Band III reception in the UK, which is normally through the rear window screen? This is the FAKRA lead from the DAB unit that is close to the edge of the box? Checking, this, there seems to give a power output on the lead, but less than 12v, too? But the other FAKRA output has no power output.
Any idea on what to try next?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Are you sure the 6H52-18C847-CA amplifier is the correct amplifier for the DAB band (ie Band 3) ? Could it be for FM/AM ?

On the X350 there is already a separate FM/AM amplifier with inputs from the FM and AM sections of the rear window and outputs to the audio unit, ... and it requires a separate 12v supply.

The Fakra coax socket with the dc voltage on it ('phantom supply' seems to be the description) is the Band 3 input. The other Fakra socket is the L-band input, which is not used in the UK.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 11-09-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I could never get the land rover amplifier to pick up a signal, in the end I got an aftermarket powered antenna and put it on the back window

The phantom power coming out of the DAB receiver is not quite 12V, officially is supposed to be 7.8V, but it powered a 12V antenna ok on my case.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 AM

I used it because this guy sems to have been seling one as part of unused DAB upgrade landrover kit
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - [Sold] Genuine Land Rover DAB KIT for Discovery4 MY10-15
I think it probably is an FM one though.
I'll try an aftermarket one- which one did you use please?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
You can buy a power adaptor with the green plug for the DAB module as a spare part from JLR, p/n LR032814 or C2D22599
I got myself a DAB tuner, 6H52-19C032-A(H) [production date Oct 2011, allegedly ex-2012 R.Rover Sport] about a year ago, and having recently got a Gateway module I went to Jag for some bits including a C2D22599 connector. The only problem is that that connector doesn't fit the tuner ! It actually appears to be identical to the socket on the tuner, except it's on the end of two wires (ie a 'flying socket' in old parlance)

The other (Ford ?) number on the connector bag is CX23-14B540 if that means anything to anyone.

I may go to the LR agent next week and see if they'll get an LR032814 for me '*on spec', but they may not seeing they have to order everything in from a central warehouse these days.

Ideas anyone ?

[*UK jargon = speculative]

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 11-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Do you mean the green power lead? Try RS supplies, (part no. 7275765) for 53 pence. IL-AG5-4S-S3C1 | JAE IL-AG5 Series, 4 Row 4 Way Cable Mount Socket Housing | JAE & bag of 50 pins £1.45 (part no. 690-9887) - IL-AG5-C1-7500 | JAE IL-AG5 Series Contact for use with Automotive Connector | JAE . Hope this helps!

Partick the Cat (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

The power lead, yes, but I rather assumed it was the black plug, not the green one, that's meant to plug into the DAB unit.

But either way, neither plug fits. However the black plug looks exactly like power 'socket' on the DAB unit, (ie they each have two pins inside).

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 11-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:28 PM

Because you've bought an older DAB receiver, they had a different power connector to the newer ones, the adaptor cable is meant for if you're replacing an older module with a newer one.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Ah ... I see.

So do we know what the designation of the original, older, plug is ? Ie the one that goes into the adapter. Presumably that plug isn't present in a car without DAB (even a late one).

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 11-17-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 PM

It won't be there in a car that didn't have DAB from the factory. And as those older DAB modules aren't DAB+ compatible, I've never used one, sorry.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Alright then...

I'd fitted factory DAB+ digital radio to my Freelander2, and a half-dozen other cars now, but not the XJR. It was "too old" and the tech did not exist back in 2001 when the audio system in this car was first developed for the X-Type, same reason why there is no seamless integrated iPod connection, also using the orphaned D2B fiber-optic network doesn't make it any easier.

But...

The very last of the X350's in 2008/2009 did have a DAB digital radio option from the factory, also Sirius Satellite Radio or In-Band-On-Channel (IBOC) digital radio for the North American markets.

DAB is not the same as DAB+, and in Australia we use DAB+, an older DAB decoder cannot decode the DAB+ signal. Jaguar Land Rover added DAB+ support in 2013.

So i needed to put a 2013-era module into a 2004 vehicle...

Well, it works;

What I needed to do was get hold of a radio from a 2008/2009 UK or EU car, which has the software in it for DAB. Plus a few other things as well of course...

The problem is that the car is running the D2B fiber optic network, but the DAB/DAB+ modules are MOST network. Jaguar made a special gateway module for the 2008/2009 model to add a MOST module to the D2B network. This gateway is virtually impossible to find as it was only fitted to the X350 and X-Type in 2008/2009, and only if there was a factory install of DAB, Sirius or IBOC. I got one of these gateways from a wrecker in the UK a couple of years ago who didn't know what it was (or specifically, how rare it was) and i'd been sitting on it... there is no aftermarket D2B to MOST gateway, this is the only such device that exists.

I got a DAB+ decoder module from a wrecked 2014 Jag XF, and had to make up the wiring (which obviously wasn't there in my 2004-built car)

So you can see here the Gateway on the left, the DAB+ decoder on the right, plus the wiring and cabling for the power, antenna, etc..

The connector for the Gateway was impossible to find so I had to improvise using some pins from another connector, insulated with heatshrink, I crushed the pins a little to make a tight fit that won't pull out easily.

Next was to connect it all up into the car.

With that all in place, and the two fiber optic networks working (confirmed by red lights on the fibers) I still had no DAB on the screen, needed to get hold of the right radio unit. These had also proved very hard to find but I managed to get one from another wrecker in the UK, swapped it in and wow, I have DAB+

I still have to sort out an antenna. The 2008/2009 cars had a different rear window glass with the DAB antenna embedded into the glass itself. Obviously mine doesn't have this so to just test it out I used an antenna from a Jag XK sitting on the parcel shelf, this antenna is meant to be mounted in behind the plastic part of the rear bumper, which doesn't fit in the XJ.

It was just a temporary thing to see that all this actually worked, i've bought a universal active antenna off ebay so i'm waiting for it to turn up.

I'm pretty sure no-one else has done this retrofit before, and with the scarcity of the Gateway and the radio unit, very few others will either.

If you are in North America you have a choice between SDARS/Sirius, or In-Band-On-Channel (IBOC), there is no DAB over there.

The radio/cd player from the 2008/2009 models are different, there are two versions;

DAB (cars sold in UK, EU, Rest of World)
SDARS/IBOC (USA, CAN and MEX cars)

The units are not interchangeable, if you want DAB, you need a DAB radio, ditto for the SDARS/IBOC.

The way to spot one of these radios is that the AM/FM button is now marked BAND.

The Gateway module is the same regardless of if it's DAB, SDARS or IBOC.

You then need a SDARS or IBOC module, which can be taken from a later model Jag or Land Rover, like an XF, Evoque, LR2, whatever.

Then it's just the wiring and antenna. You can probably use an eBay-spec antenna for either...

This is not particularly cheap, or easy, but it's factory, some of us are into that sort of thing. The other options like an external unit mounted in the ashtray look like crap to me...

Any questions?
hi Cambo.
can you give part number for gateway module please

Quick Reply: factory DAB, DAB+, SDARS/Sirius, IBOC retrofit for all X350