XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front headlights 2005 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front headlights 2005 Vanden Plas

Both lights each side hazing over with condensation on the inside. Any suggestions please.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:16 PM

I've had some fun and games with the headlights on my 2005 VDP and still get condensation in both driver's side lights. But starting from scratch, have you checked that the bulbs are seated properly and the spring wires are holding them in tight? That was the problem with one of mine. There are no plastic covers over the backs of the bulbs, so the design seems prone to letting moisture get in there. After washing it I try to run it with the high beams on to heat up the lights and drive out the moisture.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You can buy kits to remove the cloudyness from the lenses. Depending on how bad they are they may just need a polish or, if like mine, you may need to sand then and then polish.

I also had this and it was the seal on the large cover held in place by the metal clip. When I rains water runs down the li on the inner wing and straight onto the headlight, if that seal isn't good water gets in.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

A couple of suggestions from my experience:

1. Remove the plastic back cover from the affected light and place a heating pad on the lenses of the headlight. I did this overnight and the light enclosure was fully dry by morning.
2. Check that all of the lamp mounts are fully seated. One of my HID lamps had the clip loose and so the lamp was out of position creating a gap and also causing a very poor light pattern.
3. The seal around the plastic back cover shrinks and gets distorted with age. I found some very thick "vacuum grease" and ran a generous bead around the seal area of the cover. I suppose any stiff grease that is temperature stable would work. This was 3 months ago and both headlights have stayed dry.
4. Polishing headlights works great and is very satisfying but will not do anything for your water leak.

Best Regards
Jeff

Old 07-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Jeff - Thanks for your post - some idiot along the way decided not to put the plastic covers back on over the backs of the headlights - all four of them! So I figured there weren't any until I saw your post. SG Barratt had them so they are on the way! Once those are on I shouldn't get condensation in the lights just from giving her a bath!

Unfortunately Barratt doesn't have the underbody panels - probably the same moron cut out a section of the left side panel to get to the fuel filter, but then didn't change the filter.... The hole lets road debris get up on top of that panel so some day I'll have to cut and screw in a patch.

Paul

Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The underbody splash panels are available from
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/UK but one of them is no longer available. There was a guy on ebay selling both for £300 I may have his contact details if you want them.

Those headlamp covers are available on eBay for about £4 each. I am surprised it was just condensation and not full of water.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDredd
The underbody splash panels are available from
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/UK but one of them is no longer available. There was a guy on ebay selling both for £300 I may have his contact details if you want them.

Those headlamp covers are available on eBay for about £4 each. I am surprised it was just condensation and not full of water.
Thanks Joe - Thanks to a super helpful forum member I may have a line on the underbody panels here in the States. Unfortunately the back headlight covers I ordered from SNG Barratt now have to ship from the UK but at least (so far) they seem to be coming. I should have though of eBay though - when my tire store didn't get a wheel center cap back in properly and it fell out somewhere, I found an excellent replacement on eBay. Thanks for the reminder to check there!