XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Half-a-alpine

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half-a-alpine

I own the 2007 XJ-R .. Alpine logo on speakers in door( w/Nav.) But the speakers on the passenger side that have the Alpine logo don't work, and 1 sub woofer doesn't work, but the dash top speakers work and all door handle tweeters work.. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME BEFORE WE FIND OURSELVES (me and the jag) BEATING THE BLACK OFF EACH OTHER...LOL then Smile... PLEASE HELP..

Old 02-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Soldered connections on diaphrams can fail.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Heres another route if you decide to replace the OEM speakers. They cIn be found on EBay but I'm not sure how much I would trust an identical replacement not to fail the same way. Following the repair thread, bridging the failed wires doesn't always produce a reliable speaker- it worked on 2 of mine but a third continued to intermittently crap out. The issue is soldering wires in what I can only describe as "cramped quarters" Its not easy to get a solid connection to the braided wire that attaches to the cone. If you decide to use a different speaker, be very specific when replacing these. A few folks put in Polk's, Infinity, and other fairly good brands and were suprised to find them lacking. The key is sensitivity. While the Alpine drivers feel cheap, they weren't. The use of neodymium magnets makes them very lightweight and quite sensitive. I forget the EXACT spec of the Alpine drivers, but you will want a speaker with close to 100db sensitivity or more if you want it to match the Alpine's. I had reasonable success with these:

(2) Rockville RXM64 6.5" 300w 4 Ohm Mid-Range Drivers Car Speakers, Kevlar Cone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LP4FK5K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KX.CCbR362SRT

They have huge magnets, as most decent aftermarket speakers do, but compared to an Infiniti Kappa pair I had from another installation, they sound MUCH better in this application. Note that all aftermarket speakers will need adapter rings as Jaguar Alpine's have 3 mounting points on a custom plastic housing. You also need to make clearance for larger magnets. These adapters work superbly, but I did have to dremel a small amount of material to get the speaker frame to sit perfectly flush with the adapter.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK043

Anyway, just some options if you need to replace. I am so happy with the Rockvilles, I am considering replacing the remaining 2 Alpine speakers, before they fail! This 07 VDP had THREE door speakers out when I bought it. I couldn't understand why the "audiophile" cough cough stereo was so weak compared to my XJ8L until I realized this.

You can also find Subs on Ebay. Not sure I have seen one fail before.

The following users liked this post:
wwr (08-26-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 04:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How much dremel?

Hi!

I realize this thread is a full 6 months old, but I'd LOVE more info on your speaker install.
  • Am I understanding correctly that the Rockville speakers you installed were deeper than the stock speakers and that's why you needed the additional height of the mounting adapter in addition to the mounting hole locations?
  • In my research I found some Rockvilles that seemed to be slightly better (more expensive) than the ones you used, but they are even deeper. Would the depth issue keep me from using these?
  • How much dremeling did you have to do the adapters? The adapter website implies they wouldn't need any modifications.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Easy one!

Rockville does make a few styles, mine have the bullet centers, but the others I have seen should fit fine. I had at least another inch behind them. The adapters are brilliant. All you need to do is dremel the big hole in the top ring to give the speaker basket a little extra room for the big Rockville 6.5" baskets. They are made with two stacked rings. The top ring mounts the 4 hole speakers and the bottom has 3 to match the door, just like the original plastic surrounds did.

Note, the adapters are NOT primarily for additional depth. They are to accommodate 4 hole speaker mounting where the door only has 3 holes in a triangular arrangement. Rather than drill the door (dont do it. That's what the adapters are for) these have a ring to mount the speaker to, and another ring that's matched with pre-drilled tabs that fit the door perfectly. They have the added benefit of getting the speaker off the door by perhaps an inch, so they do add clearance, in addition to providing a 4 hole to 3 hole fix.

I used the cylindrical sanding disks that appear to have red oxide sandpaper, and mount on a rubber cylinder with a screw to bulge the rubber and hold the sandpaper cylinder. Just take off perhaps 1/16 of an inch off the inside of the top ring so the metal basket of the speaker sits flush. Ypu can just trim a bit, and test for until the speaker fits fully into the ring. This is because the speaker basket is a tiny bit too big to sit fully in the ring, and rocks a bit. You dont want to force it. The ring adapters are lightweight, and sturdy, but they are abs or some type of plastic, so you need to just make the inner circle a tiny bit larger, adding perhaps 1/3 inch diameter. I only had to go around once with the dremel, taking car to take an consistent amount of material off, as evenly as possible. Some speakers probably fit without modifications, but the Rockvilles have a heavy duty build and are probably as big a diameter speaker as will fit in the XJ.

One other tip. When you screw the speaker onto the plastic adapter rings, just snug the screw down. Do not try and put any torque on the screws as they are self tapping, and anything more than just snugging them in will strip the plastic and you will be hunting down bigger screws, lol! I learned on the first one I did. You could possibly put a small nut in between the pair of rings and bolt the speaker onto the rings with machine screws, but I think that's probably overkill. I find these sound better than a pair of Polks I tried; they are super efficient (100db at 1 meter @1 watt of power.) The original Alpine's weren't even that efficient, nor are most Polk Component sets, requiring more power to drive them, and no where near the presence of these Rockville speakers. Disproving the "you have to spend more to get more" working theory. These are well matched as replacements on the X350. I was hopeful, but not sure if these would deliver. I'm a musician and have a decent ear. I can assure you that they deliver.

Good luck with the replacement drivers.

Last edited by Blairware; 08-17-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Got it. Thank you for the great explanation!

I think what I'm going to do is get the same speakers you have, and maybe spend a few minutes looking at adapter rings to see if I can find one I don't have to modify. No reason to sand if I don't have to! Then again, a little extra clearance behind a speaker never hurt anyone, I suppose!