XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

HELP! Suddenly extra key-fob won't start car!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default HELP! Suddenly extra key-fob won't start car!

I have had the car since November 2010, and I normally use my main key-fob on the car. However, I have an extra one that also worked. However, I have not used this since maybe November (the buttons were a little more worn than the one I use).

I loaned my Jag to my girlfriend today (big mistake, I know, right? ) and I gave her my spare key. The buttons unlock the doors, etc., but it does not start the car. All the lights just come on in the dash.

However, when I use my main key fob, it starts up like normal. What the heck happened? Do I need to reprogram the key, and how do I do it myself? I assume the remote itself is programmed because it unlocks all the doors!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,409 Posts
The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Is this for reprogramming the remote, or reprogramming the key? Or is it one and the same?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

The keys are cut to the cylinders just most keyed locks. This procedure is for reprogramming the fob to the car. The only thing that puzzles me is the fact that the remote controls the locks. Have you tried changing the remote battery to see if that makes any difference?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, I haven't tried changing the remote battery, but that is a definite possibility. It is puzzling to me that the battery could be "dead" but still be locking/unlocking the doors normally remotely.

In most cars that do not have a remote, there is still a chip in the key that does not require a battery.

I would rather not mess with it for now, because it sounds like that procedure you linked to actually can clear all of the key associations, so I wouldn't want to screw that up with my working key!

This is not that big of a deal, but if I ever have a situation where I need a second set of keys to the Jag, it will suck.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Alan,

Get both keys and sit in the car. Find the two black domes at the center of the fascia near the windscreen. Take the key that won't start the car and insert it. Watch the left side of the front dome and turn the key on. See what it does, light up solid or flash. [when you use the good key, it will stay on solid] If it flashes, the key is either not programmed to the security system, or the key housing has lost the transponder pellet. If you separate the remote from the key portion, on the side of the housing opposite the key blade, there should be a small white silicone capsule in a recess. That is the transponder. No pellet, no start.

After you check that out, tell me how many keys you have that WILL start the car.
[just to clarify, we are talking about the '06 XJ, right??]

Cheers,

amcdonal86 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

When I tried to start it earlier with the "bad" key, the dome just flashed.

I see the silicone thing in both keys.

I have, last time I checked, 2 keys that start the car. One key fob, one valet. The one that does not work is a key fob.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM

OK, try this. Get all keys in hand, [do all this as fast as you can] turn ign on with good fob key, ign on with valet key, ign on with bad key, finally ign on with either of the first two keys, key out.

Now see if they all work.

Cheers,

amcdonal86 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

When you say ignition on, do you mean start the engine?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
When you say ignition on, do you mean start the engine?
Sorry, I was on my way out the door, I should have been a little more clear. By ign on I mean position II, which is run. Position I is accessory.
I also said, as fast as you can; well, I mean quickly, but with enough time in the on position to register the key.

The idea is, two good keys, the one to program, then a second hit with a good key to tell it you are done.

My apologies for the hurry-up.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
amcdonal86 (06-09-2011), plums (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I will try it tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't know if it matters but the method in the workshop manual looks slightly different as it doesn't mention putting a good key back in at the end and tells you to wait for confirmation of the bad key to be reprogrammed:

Key programming using two programmed keys.

• Insert the first valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• Within ten seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• To program the third (additional) key, insert the key and turn to the run position within twenty seconds of removing the second key, allow the PATS LED to prove out for three seconds to confirm storage of the additional key, then turn to off and remove the key.

• This method can be used to store up to a maximum of 8 ignition keys.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
amcdonal86 (06-09-2011), plums (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Sorry, I was on my way out the door, I should have been a little more clear. By ign on I mean position II, which is run. Position I is accessory.
I also said, as fast as you can; well, I mean quickly, but with enough time in the on position to register the key.

The idea is, two good keys, the one to program, then a second hit with a good key to tell it you are done.

My apologies for the hurry-up.

Cheers,
Good to know. Always wondered if the valet key counted as one of the "good" keys. Hitting it with a good key as the last key for a "end" signal is also usually missing from the instructions for this procedure.

Now, here is an additional strategic move: do this while sitting in the service parking lot of a dealership in case everything goes wrong and you need to go to plan "B". If all goes well, you drive away. If it all goes south, go see the friendly service advisor.

Last edited by plums; 06-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
I don't know if it matters but the method in the workshop manual looks slightly different as it doesn't mention putting a good key back in at the end and tells you to wait for confirmation of the bad key to be reprogrammed:

Key programming using two programmed keys.

• Insert the first valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• Within ten seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid key and turn to the run position for a maximum of five seconds, then turn to off and remove the key.

• To program the third (additional) key, insert the key and turn to the run position within twenty seconds of removing the second key, allow the PATS LED to prove out for three seconds to confirm storage of the additional key, then turn to off and remove the key.

• This method can be used to store up to a maximum of 8 ignition keys.
Perfect. Can the second valid key be a valet key?

Now that I think about it, this is the first time I've used this key since I had the VALET key cut/programmed by the dealership. Since the only two keys they had with them were the master key and the new valet key, I bet they cleared this third key from the registry. Does this make sense?

I will try what you said.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Perfect. Can the second valid key be a valet key?

Now that I think about it, this is the first time I've used this key since I had the VALET key cut/programmed by the dealership. Since the only two keys they had with them were the master key and the new valet key, I bet they cleared this third key from the registry. Does this make sense?
xjrguy said "insert valet key" so ... probably.

And yes, the bad key became a bad key on the programming of the valet key because that is what Jaguar says will happen to non-present keys.

If the DIY does not work, you may have a case for having the dealer reprogram on a comeback because they really should have asked if all keys were present. However, if they asked and you went ahead ... then it is a paying job.

Last edited by plums; 06-09-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah. They better do it for free! It's a good, trustworthy (although expensive) dealership--Jaguar LandRover of Chantilly (Virginia).

Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

OK! The procedure above worked like a charm! Thanks so much everyone!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Glad, it worked for you

Old 11-26-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
OK, try this. Get all keys in hand, [do all this as fast as you can] turn ign on with good fob key, ign on with valet key, ign on with bad key, finally ign on with either of the first two keys, key out.

Now see if they all work.

Cheers,
I have to ask,not to be rude, has this ever worked for anyone? Ive tried it numerous times with no success. I have 2 OEM working keys but since I changed my battery my key with the Jag growler doesnt turn on the car. It turns everything else on, but wont get the car to start. what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Suddenly extra key-fob won't start car!