XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hit bump and the dash lights went haywire

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Hit bump and the dash lights went haywire

Got a call from my wife tonight to say that coming home from a church meeting she hit a bump and all the dash warning lights came on and the message center said, Cruise control not available, transmission fault, no CD, and something else she couldn’t remember alternating with air suspension fault. She called from a gas station and I took the Disco down to see what had happened.

When I started it, the check engine light was on and the codes set were: (with the meanings as best I can find them).

P1797 CAN TCM/ECM Circuit Malfunction, (edit) neutral switch circuit malfunction (edit)
U0155 Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
U0104 Lost Communication With Distance Sensing and Cruise Control Module
U0415 Invalid Data Received From Anti - Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
P0504 Brake light circuit lack of voltage or out of range condition

Pending codes were:

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
U0121 Lost Communication With Electronic Brake Control Module
U0155 Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
U0104 Lost Communication With Distance Sensing and Cruise Control Module
U0415 Invalid Data Received From Anti - Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
P0504 Brake light circuit lack of voltage or out of range condition

I erased the codes with my UltraGage, turning off the check engine light, and drove home six miles at night without incident. No codes were set and no messages were displayed besides the usual "check pressure spare" (when I start the engine - no sensor in the spare) and “air suspension fault” (which I get half the time).

Apparently something was jarred loose, at least temporarily, So...ECM connection? Battery cable? VSS underneath? Any suggestions on what/where to check?

BTW, I found this list of Jaguar specific codes, but they are in no particular order and there is no search function.
http://www.datsc.com/tabid/123/Diagnostics/Jaguar/Default.aspx
You'd think Germans would be better organized.

Found a better list here: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/jaguar/

Last edited by philwarner; 11-25-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:18 PM

UpDate: Drove 30 miles to town and back with no CEL, no codes, and no messages except on the way home the usual Air Suspension Fault came on. My wife says the bump she hit last night was not unusually hard and there was nothing in the road that could have hit underneath. it's a mystery.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

This is usually a faulty pin on the ABS module but can also be on the IC

Check out teste TSB's
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Cluster.pdf

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Cluster.pdf

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
philwarner (11-25-2015), Sean W (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the pdfs. Looks like there are a number of connectors to check. My codes were not quite the same as the second TSB, but it is good info if it happens again, especially that warning that if you turn off the engine it may not restart. I'll read them more thoroughly tomorrow.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

If it were me, the first thing that I would do is to check/clean the battery terminals.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Default many faults and codes after battery disconnect

Originally Posted by Rickkk
If it were me, the first thing that I would do is to check/clean the battery terminals.
I did check the battery terminals yesterday and they were clean with no corrosion; the nut on the stud at the end of the ground cable was barely finger tight, but the one on the stud in the center was tight, so I don't know if the loose nut was a cause; I tightened both.

I also disconnected both cables and clamped then together for half an hour to "reset" the system as someone suggested doing if some things like the one-touch window up or down is not working. It didn't fix my passenger windows lack of one-touch and in fact seems to have removed the rear driver side one-touch, but when I restarted the engine the first time after reconnecting the battery it lit all the warning lights, the message window ran every fault it could think of (nine, I believe counting the check pressure spare tire which it always has), the CEL came on, it set 11 codes with 5 pending, the tachometer did not register, the idle surged between 600 and 1000 RPM, there was a miss in the engine, and it eventually died.

I restarted it and had pretty much the same thing and my UltraGage kept saying it was still scanning and when I shut it off and removed the key it gave a Parking Brake Fault in the message window with the key out.

Starting a third time and letting it run, the UG eventually finished scanning and found the gages again and I was able to record the codes and turn the CEL off again and the engine seemed to settle down to a 600 RPM idle, the tachometer was registering again, and the fault messages stopped.

The battery had registered 12.5 volts and 75% when I first connected the charger, and it had been fully charged to 13.1 volts before I reconnected it and started the engine. It is an ACDelco 49A and I didn't see a date code but on one side of the tag are the numbers 08030346 7/13 so I am guessing it might be July 2013.

Is it normal to have all these fault messages and codes after the battery has been disconnected?