XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How do i reprogramme a key remote fob for an XJR 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well... after replacing battery programing went like knife into the butter but...
3 days latter something happened and my keyless stopped working
and now no matter what I do, I can't make remote to work even with fresh battery.

After:
Pushing any transmitter button (there is NO chirp from sounder, and the PATS LED doesn't flash once).

After about 30 seconds I can see single flash and hear sound immediately followed by 2 flashes
and short chirps from sounder meaning there is some error in programing.

Any ideas what's the problem?

Last edited by jagxjr; 11-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Key Transmitters –Manual Programming
File download.if interested.
I also recommend buying a cheap 7 Function Multimeter at Harbor Freight. So you can test instead of guess what your battery is doing? Beware! Cheap replacement batteries, I had them fail in two weeks.
Clean battery and contacts with alcohol and cotton swab.
Oil and acidity from your hands effects circuitry.
I hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Key Transmitters.pdf (77.2 KB, 859 views)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by georgekale
Beware! Cheap replacement batteries, I had them fail in two weeks.
LOL, I hope Duracell is not one of them

OK, the problem starts after step #4
No sound, nothing is happen after pushing one of the buttons and as I said
"After about 30 seconds I can see single flash and hear sound immediately
followed by 2 flashes and short chirps from sounder meaning there is some
error in programing."

My question is: why there is no sound immediately after Step #4?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds like a defective fob to me.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagxjr
LOL, I hope Duracell is not one of them

OK, the problem starts after step #4
No sound, nothing is happen after pushing one of the buttons and as I said
"After about 30 seconds I can see single flash and hear sound immediately
followed by 2 flashes and short chirps from sounder meaning there is some
error in programing."

My question is: why there is no sound immediately after Step #4?
this might help. i just shared this in another forum here, means this topic has been discussed a lot.. my friend was missing some steps on programming his fob for his car, he posted here Programming Jaguar key fob and found out that he kept closing the driver's door.. it's working now.. you might want to check it as well and see if you were doing it correctly.. cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (12-12-2023)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 x-type, 3.0 and I am buying two used key fobs from Ebay without the key and would like to program them before buying an uncut key. I do have one working key and key fob. I am afraid of losing the program of my working one and ending up with three nonworking fobs. Can I assume that the key itself will be un affected by this fob programming attempt?
Thanks for any help on this!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Jumping jiminy

I am thinking exactly like kiknazz.
Afraid I will disable my one good one and then what... Dead car in the driveway?
Somebody said to try this out in the dealership parking lot...in case all fails...
I suppose that would work. Then you could pay them megabucks to get you going again.
Anybody know for sure the answer?

Last edited by N9921x; 11-29-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM

The fob for locking/unlocking and the key transponder for the immobiliser are totally separate entities for the X350, you cannot harm the key's operation of the ignition by following the fob programming procedure.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Keys...

So I would still need the dealership to " provide " me with the transponder key part... $150 for a spare key or else 300 plus for the whole deal.
Royal PIA.
I am thinking will just live with the single key fob I have and just get the spare regular key and plan to not lose the real key.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Well, you might be able to source a blank key/transponder from somewhere other than a dealer but you'll probably still need a dealer to program the car to accept it. Unless you can find someone else with dealer level software.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds stupid but when I did mine, I had the fob in my hand and the key in the ignition. I got all of the lights and beeps but when I was done the fob still didn't work.

The fix...

PULL THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION

I couldn't use the fob until I took out the key I felt stupid...for a second...

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no go

I followed the procedure outlined above and was unable to get any sound or LED flash.I went through the process several times without success. I also, before I begin, put a new battery in the fob. open for suggestions.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Rausch
I followed the procedure outlined above and was unable to get any sound or LED flash.I went through the process several times without success. I also, before I begin, put a new battery in the fob. open for suggestions.
Make sure you installed the battery the correct way in the FOB.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by N9921x
I am thinking exactly like kiknazz.
Afraid I will disable my one good one and then what... Dead car in the driveway?
Somebody said to try this out in the dealership parking lot...in case all fails...
I suppose that would work. Then you could pay them megabucks to get you going again.
Anybody know for sure the answer?

I was able to set the replacement FOB with the guide here, but the immobilizer in mine has been reset by me (inadvertently) so I have two key FOBs now, but neither will start the 04 XJR...

Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Received 252 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi ragman1171, to refresh others, I have a word document article attached to my thread on how to program your key Fob, both upper and lower portions in the "XJ8 How To quicklinks" section. The link is below and the programming procedures is at the end of the word document. It lets people know that time is critical in programming the key fobs and lets you know how many seconds you have.

However, for your particular situation. In order to program the upper portion of the key Fob that has the transponder chip you need two working fobs to program additional fobs. Since somehow you have unprogrammed the transponder chip in both of your fobs you will need to use SDD software to get them reprogrammed once again. By the way, how did you erase the programming from the transponder chip?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...now-faq-87749/

The following 2 users liked this post by lcmjaguar:
Don B (08-12-2014), ragman1171 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM

In shirt, I did it with the SDD. I was trying to program another key as I only got one from the dealer... I ordered one from my Jag dealer set to my VIN that will be here in a few days. I need to then tow my Jag to the dealer so they can program both if my VIN assigned transponders and FOBs...

Bad Ragman!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM

Ragman1171, all is not lost since you have SDD. Since your transponders got erased you now just need to go through the SDD to program your key fobs as a "new" trasponders. The transponder chips themselves are not VIN car specific but rather the transponder chip the jaguar XJ8 (X350 and X358), S-Type and X-Type uses is the same type chip from 2001 to 2009 model years. Programing the transponder chip to the car makes it specific to your car, which can be errased and reprogrammed to your car or another car. Transponders can be errased and reprogrammed unlimited times.

In SDD go back into the "Service Functions" menu. It is at the bottom of the screen. There you will see the option to
"Security - Program additional transponders" and
"Security - Program new keyfob transmitters" and
"Security - Progam new transponders"

Go through the menu of "Security - Progam new transponders" and follow the directions. You must have all your key fobs in your hand including the one you ordered and the valet key ready when you do this step.

And/or you can use the "Security - Program new keyfob transmitters" menu to program the lower key fab portion, and if I remmber correct, this menu will also program the transponders at the same time.

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 08-12-2014 at 10:18 PM.
ragman1171 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Ragman1171, with SDD you can reprogram the one key fob you have now and then later when you have the new key from the Dealer that you purchased you can reperform the procedure to reprogram all your keys. This way you will have one working key right away to use.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
Ragman1171, all is not lost since you have SDD. Since your transponders got erased you now just need to go through the SDD to program your key fobs as a "new" trasponders. The transponder chips themselves are not VIN car specific but rather the transponder chip the jaguar XJ8 (X350 and X358), S-Type and X-Type uses is the same type chip from 2001 to 2009 model years. Programing the transponder chip to the car makes it specific to your car, which can be errased and reprogrammed to your car or another car. Transponders can be errased and reprogrammed unlimited times.

In SDD go back into the "Service Functions" menu. It is at the bottom of the screen. There you will see the option to
"Security - Program additional transponders" and
"Security - Program new keyfob transmitters" and
"Security - Progam new transponders"

Go through the menu of "Security - Progam new transponders" and follow the directions. You must have all your key fobs in your hand including the one you ordered and the valet key ready when you do this step.

And/or you can use the "Security - Program new keyfob transmitters" menu to program the lower key fab portion, and if I remmber correct, this menu will also program the transponders at the same time.
Thanks. One issue I'n having is how this started. I only have one key/FOB that came with the car. Apparently, the previous owner didn't turn in the other or lost them or who knows, but when I bought her, there was only one. The software wants me to have two. I have another that I bought from eBay with a blank key, but I cannot program the transponder in it as I cannot turn the ignition on with it. The reason this is an issue is that the SDD software says I need at least TWO keys. So, I have to wait until the new one comes in from Jag to try this. I kinda thought that'd be the case anyway.

Meanwhile, my key FOBs are not functioning properly. I went through the SDD software and the manual steps, with the high beam stalk, and it will not lock/unlock the car. If I push the lock button twice, it'll close the mirrors as it used to, but the doors won't lock. The trunk will open when pushed as well. But, when I push the lock/unlock buttons, it gives the little "beep beep" from the rear of the car. I don't know what else to do now as I think I've just gotten too deep and may just let Jag set it up and then keep my fingers off of the reprogramming...

Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 AM

You can't make anything worse using SDD only better and this will be a good way to learn SDD. I think you origionally went into the SDD menu of "Security - Program additional transponders". This menu will ask for your "origional" 2 keys that came with the car to first confrim them to than allow you to program "additional" keyfobs. For your situation since you only have one key fob you don't want to use this menu. Use the other menu options I mentioned before.

Any key you buy will not work with you car until you program it with SDD. The "Beep Beep" can occur if all doors are not fully closed when trying the lock/unlock fob button (in the door locking mechanism there is a switch that lets the car know the doors are closed.)

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 08-13-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: How do i reprogramme a key remote fob for an XJR 2005?