XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How do parking aid sensors come out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Default How do parking aid sensors come out?

Can someone describe how this is done? Do the sensors twist? Are there tabs to lift or press? Does the whole thing come out, or just the inner part? I see replacements for sale, but just looking at them, I don't get much of a clue as to how they are held or mounted. Any help appreciated.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just the center part comes out.

There are two long opposing tabs that come up the sides of the sensor with "clip edges" that clip over the inward facing end of the sensor.

I found that you have to lever both these tabs quite a bit away from the sensor before they come out.

I pressed on the outer bumper side while levering those tabs and the sensor pops out.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Do you mean these little tabs next to the arrows? Looks like there might be four of them around the diameter of the sensor body. What do you pry them with? Small screwdriver? Sharp pick?

Attached Thumbnails How do parking aid sensors come out?-sensor-detail.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
Do you mean these little tabs next to the arrows? Looks like there might be four of them around the diameter of the sensor body. What do you pry them with? Small screwdriver? Sharp pick?
No not those. That whole sensor comes out in one piece.

The tabs I am talking about go up the whole length of that sensor and are what the sensor fits into.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

If for some reason the center doesn't come out as intended, some epoxy will do the trick.

Thanks-
Mag

Attached Thumbnails How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo812.jpg   How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo876.jpg   How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo613.jpg   How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo293.jpg   How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo295.jpg  

How do parking aid sensors come out?-photo159.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 PM

Mag -
Someone in one of these threads had said that you could get access to the outer sensors via the opening left when you remove the tail light. Judging from your last picture, I don't see how that would be possible.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Those tabs I was referencing are easily seen in MAG's 1st picture.

They are right by his thumb and forefinger.

You do not have to lever the whole shebang out just the sensor and then no need for glue at all.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Mag -
Someone in one of these threads had said that you could get access to the outer sensors via the opening left when you remove the tail light. Judging from your last picture, I don't see how that would be possible.
Yes I looked at the taillight option.

Bumper seemed easier to remove for me but feel free to do as you like.

If you can purchase a 'complete' sensor (with the attachment 'tang'), you may be able to 'rehearse' the release motion and get it down.

I couldn't figure it out, so that's what I had to do.

Once I had the complete assembly in hand, it was no big deal to twist/release the sensor.

Apologies, its been so long, I don't recall the movements at this time...

Thanks
Mag

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Mag -
You need to take that side of the bumper off no matter what. Removing the tail light gives you even better access though.

Tail light removal is optional, bumper removal on one side is not.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 06-XJR
You need to take that side of the bumper off no matter what. Removing the tail light gives you even better access though.

Tail light removal is optional, bumper removal on one side is not.

I did my right rear corner sensor through the tail light opening without removing the bumper cover. you can't see it but you can feel it. Do not twist the sensor. It comes straight out once you pry up the tabs on the holder that is glued to the inside of the bumper cover. I think the tabs were on the top and bottom of the holder, but not totally certain.

Attached Thumbnails How do parking aid sensors come out?-rr-parking-aid-sensor-may2017-3-.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
I did my right rear corner sensor through the tail light opening without removing the bumper cover. you can't see it but you can feel it. Do not twist the sensor. It comes straight out once you pry up the tabs on the holder that is glued to the inside of the bumper cover. I think the tabs were on the top and bottom of the holder, but not totally certain.
Mind. Blown. Good to know!!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Look at my post #7.