XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to Remove Rear Parking Brake Caliper from XJR to remove rear Tie Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Remove Rear Parking Brake Caliper from XJR to remove rear Tie Rod?

I need to remove the rear parking caliper from a 2004 XJR as I am trying to replace the rear tie rods. In order to remove the tie rod I need to move the rear parking brake caliper out of the way. I have undone the two blots that hold it in place and the actuator cable The caliper moves a few mm in either direction but won't move when I try and pull it from the disc. Help

Old 09-23-2017, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If they're the right 2 bolts "all" you need to do is ease the pads over the lip you probably have on the disc.

The bigger the lip the less this is possible and you'll have to grind the lip off.

To do that you need to rotate the disc, which means the hub on which it's mounted. That'll mean putting the car in N briefly (it'll moan).

Do not leave the key in the ignition or you risk a flat battery BUT BE SURE TO HOLD THE EPB PADDLE DOWN as you remove the key.

(This is on the basis your car is essentially the same as mine as regards this - which I think it is if you've a separate EPB caliper.)

Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If they're the right 2 bolts "all" you need to do is ease the pads over the lip you probably have on the disc.

The bigger the lip the less this is possible and you'll have to grind the lip off.

To do that you need to rotate the disc, which means the hub on which it's mounted. That'll mean putting the car in N briefly (it'll moan).

Do not leave the key in the ignition or you risk a flat battery BUT BE SURE TO HOLD THE EPB PADDLE DOWN as you remove the key.

(This is on the basis your car is essentially the same as mine as regards this - which I think it is if you've a separate EPB caliper.)
Thank you! I undid the two bolts and that's when it would not come off and I logged in here not wanting to break something. I did what I read elsewhere on this forum.....I undid the two bolts that hold the brake caliper together, just a little bit, and then slid the caliper off. Now thinking about it I see your right about the lip being what was holding it in place even after unbolted. Thank you for the advice!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You're welcome - and any fix is good!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Thumbs up

Very true!

Originally Posted by JagV8
You're welcome - and any fix is good!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts

Hi,
I recently changed my rear parking shoes and found they were the source of an annoying metallic rattle. You may not need to change the hand brake cables as there's a tension adjusting nut where the single hand brake cable splits into the two cables (one for LHS and one for RHS).
I do have a question - what is the best product to coat the cables to extend their lift?