XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Land Rover diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Still waiting on the delivery, may be a few more weeks lol

Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 PM

I FINALLY got my package from uobd.net today! Almost a month later but I'm still happy.

They included both V1.34 and V1.38 along with the Mongoose cable which was labeled "Mongoose" instead of "MANGoose" like I've seen, it also has a Drew Tech sticker and serial number; They wanted the clone to look legit I guess.

I was too excited to wait so I tossed V134 on my PC today, but I'll be installing and testing V138 with my 2004 tomorrow and posting my results.

Thus far everything is working but when I went to calibrate the suspension it gave me an error communicating with the ECU / Supension Control which scares me lol...

The following users liked this post:
brakeboost (11-16-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

If you haven't done so already check the supplied software for any virus/trojans as this seems common in the patch files provided with a clone mangoose. If you have issues pm me.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Any chance of that "How To" you mentioned earlier?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by hafren
If you haven't done so already check the supplied software for any virus/trojans as this seems common in the patch files provided with a clone mangoose. If you have issues pm me.

All mine came clean thankfully But that was the first thing I did haha.

BrakeBoost I can definitely do that, I've just been swamped with work. I'll try and get to it tonight.

Do you have Windows 7 and plan to use a Virtual Machine, or an older XP Laptop?

Final Note: Thus far I can't get V138 to work with my 04 XJ8, but I'm using a different laptop and my Windows 7 64-bit running a 32-bit XP SP2 VM doesn't want to take the Mongoose drivers. I'll keep you posted if I get it working.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Nice color on your XJ8 . I managed to get the mongoose driver to work in v138. This worked for me

Install both mongoose and mongoosepro x86 msi files

1. connect mongoose in vmware xp window
2. Select driver from extracted J2534_MongooseProJLR_v1.1.12.msi
3. disconnect mongoose
4. insert mongoose again go to device manager and select driver update and select J2534_MongooseProJLR_v1.1.12.msi

Hope this helps

brakeboost (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Nice color on your XJ8 . I managed to get the mongoose driver to work in v138. This worked for me

Install both mongoose and mongoosepro x86 msi files

1. connect mongoose in vmware xp window
2. Select driver from extracted J2534_MongooseProJLR_v1.1.12.msi
3. disconnect mongoose
4. insert mongoose again go to device manager and select driver update and select J2534_MongooseProJLR_v1.1.12.msi

Hope this helps

Thank you! I get so many questions/comments about the color, people think it's black at night, blue in the shade, and freak out when they see its green in sunlight haha. (Just noticed you have the same color, nice!)

I'll give that a shot when I get home; It's odd becase in my VM the driver appears to install just fine, but I don't get the "Drew Tech Mongoose cable ready" pop-up like I do on my XP laptop and v138 doesn't seem to communicate with the car.

I tried looking for a 64-bit driver to install on the base laptop but there are no 64-bit drivers available for the JLR from the DrewTech website.

I'm sure I'll get it figured out when I'm not so pressed for time

Last edited by Revonok; 11-17-2014 at 03:09 PM.
brakeboost (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Revonok
All mine came clean thankfully But that was the first thing I did haha.

BrakeBoost I can definitely do that, I've just been swamped with work. I'll try and get to it tonight.

Do you have Windows 7 and plan to use a Virtual Machine, or an older XP Laptop?

Final Note: Thus far I can't get V138 to work with my 04 XJ8, but I'm using a different laptop and my Windows 7 64-bit running a 32-bit XP SP2 VM doesn't want to take the Mongoose drivers. I'll keep you posted if I get it working.
I see our seller is pushing V139 now on his website. I have Windows XP, pack3 I( think thats a 32-bit). Its an old laptop. I disabled the internet in anticipation; been in the land of Mac for a long time now. Things that spring to mind since I'm not a computer guy: is it a compressed file which I need to unzip (i.e. get software to do it). HAFREN informed me about virus possibility on the patch file, and what not to do. (I will probably get help for that). A functional SDD would make many jobs a lot easier. Putting the EPB in service mode during a brake job for instance. Hoping you have the keys to the chocolate factory. Thanks

Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by brakeboost
I see our seller is pushing V139 now on his website. I have Windows XP, pack3 I( think thats a 32-bit). Its an old laptop. I disabled the internet in anticipation; been in the land of Mac for a long time now. Things that spring to mind since I'm not a computer guy: is it a compressed file which I need to unzip (i.e. get software to do it). HAFREN informed me about virus possibility on the patch file, and what not to do. (I will probably get help for that). A functional SDD would make many jobs a lot easier. Putting the EPB in service mode during a brake job for instance. Hoping you have the keys to the chocolate factory. Thanks

Awesome! I'll get a write up going for you tonight then, I was going to yesterday but wanted to wait until I knew for sure what you were working with.

The CD's I recieved were 99% Executables (.EXE) but the patch was a .RAR file, so just to be ready you should go to http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar52b4.exe and download that just to be ready. While you're at it, go ahead and get http://www.drewtech.com/downloads/Mo...ro_JLR_x86.msi as well.

Also, do you already have the Cable/Software or are you just getting ready to order it?

(I'm hoping direct link posting isn't against any forum rules but please let me know if it is.)

Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Revonok
Awesome! I'll get a write up going for you tonight then, I was going to yesterday but wanted to wait until I knew for sure what you were working with.

The CD's I recieved were 99% Executables (.EXE) but the patch was a .RAR file, so just to be ready you should go to http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar52b4.exe and download that just to be ready. While you're at it, go ahead and get http://www.drewtech.com/downloads/Mo...ro_JLR_x86.msi as well.

Also, do you already have the Cable/Software or are you just getting ready to order it?

(I'm hoping direct link posting isn't against any forum rules but please let me know if it is.)
I will go ahead and order it now you and HAFREN have cracked the code, and get the additional software you suggested. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Revonok (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM

I'm not sure if Revonok got his kit from the same supplier as me; mine was from obd2.net. It is a great deal at ~$50. My kit came with 3 dvd's and the software was v138 :-

SDD_DVD138.02.exe
SDD_DVD138_FULL.exe
SPA_DVD138_V2.exe
VDF_J_DVD138_V5.exe
VDF_L_DVD138_V5.exe

Also JLRPatch_EN.EXE which had a virus so be careful as I mentioned in the pm.

There is an excellent post on the UK jag forum site that details the SDD installation process. Take a look. It is for v134 but still applies to v138/139

Mongoose V134 install

Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM

I'm not sure if Revonok got his kit from the same supplier as me; mine was from obd2.net. It is a great deal at ~$50. My kit came with 3 dvd's and the software was v138 :-

SDD_DVD138.02.exe
SDD_DVD138_FULL.exe
SPA_DVD138_V2.exe
VDF_J_DVD138_V5.exe
VDF_L_DVD138_V5.exe

Also JLRPatch_EN.EXE which had a virus so be careful as I mentioned in the pm.

There is an excellent post on the UK jag forum site that details the SDD installation process. Take a look. It is for v134 but still applies to v138/139

Mongoose V134 install

Mine was also from uobd.net, and just as you said it came with 3 DVD's (6 actually, but they gave me V134 and V138) and that post is great! I guess I don't need to write one up as someones beat me to it haha.

brakeboost (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Looks pretty comprehensive.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by brakeboost
Looks pretty comprehensive.

He goes into very good detail, though alot of the torrenting and virtualization may be a bit overwhelming if you're not confident with computers. Luckily you're on XP so you can jump right to the install portion, and he even provides links to clean (Virus free) patches and the entire v134 SDD download.

If anything confuses you or you run into any snags definitely let me know here or via PM and I'll help you out! I spend all day troubleshooting computer issues anyway so it would be great to apply that to something productive and Jaguar related

brakeboost (11-22-2014)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have loaded SDD JLRV138 and a mongoose Pro JLR on a dell 32bit lap top. The 138 program is loaded and seems to boot up fine. The MongoosePro Driver has been installed and the VCM has also been changed so that it knows I am using a MongoosePRo JLR.

The SDD tells me at the bottom right the MongoosePro JLR is not connected. The MongoosePro JLR flashes green when installed into the usb port but the SSD still says it is not connected. It makes no difference if i have it connected to the car or not.

I not a computer wizard either, any ideas as to what I need to do.

Thank you, Woodford Jag

Old 01-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Woodford,

If the installation package you are using installed JLR SDD in a virtual machine (VM), then you have to be running the VM when you install the Mongoose drivers so the drivers will be installed in the operating system (OS) that runs on the VM. If your Mongoose drivers are installed on your computer's main OS, the VM won't be able to see it. Try reinstalling the Mongoose drivers while you have the SDD program running. I hope your problem is that simple.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodford Jag
I have loaded SDD JLRV138 and a mongoose Pro JLR on a dell 32bit lap top. The 138 program is loaded and seems to boot up fine. The MongoosePro Driver has been installed and the VCM has also been changed so that it knows I am using a MongoosePRo JLR.

The SDD tells me at the bottom right the MongoosePro JLR is not connected. The MongoosePro JLR flashes green when installed into the usb port but the SSD still says it is not connected. It makes no difference if i have it connected to the car or not.

I not a computer wizard either, any ideas as to what I need to do.

Thank you, Woodford Jag

Before we get to far into the weeds can you answer one question or try one additional easy experiment?

Have you tried connecting anything else to the USB port while the virtual machine is running? If so did the computer respond by telling you it was loading the appropriate drivers or otherwise recognize what you attach?

If it did then there's a problem with your SDD install. If the computer does NOT recognize the other equipment the there's a problem with your computer's ability to recognize what's being plugged in to the USB port

Let's get an answer for that question before we throw work arounds for problems that may not exist.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Before we get to far into the weeds can you answer one question or try one additional easy experiment? [snip]

Let's get an answer for that question before we throw work arounds for problems that may not exist.

Hi RDMinor,

Woodford mentioned that the Mongoose cable green light illuminates when he plugs it into his USB port, so at the very least it's getting the proper 5V. You may be right that his computer has a problem with the USB port or drivers, but he didn't mention any prior trouble.

The reason I suggested the problem may be that the Mongoose drivers were not installed while operating in the VM is that this actually happened to me and and also to bookman, a fellow X350 owner, so I'd hardly characterize the suggestion as "too far into the weeds" or a "workaround for problems that may not exist." It was a suggestion based on real-world experience with the identical symptom being experienced by Woodford.

Your suggestion is certainly worthwhile, but reinstalling the Mongoose drivers while operating in the VM is nearly as simple and fast, and since doing so resolved the same issue for me and bookman, what harm will it do Woodford to just try it?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-17-2015 at 01:17 AM.
AD2014 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Don I wasn't trying to say you or anyone else was in the weeds yet as your suggestion is one that needs following up. You and I both have seen too many posts that go wandering all, over the place without taking, what for me at least, is a step by step approach to zeroing in on the problem under discussion.

Woodford Jag states that he isn't computer savvy so it occurred to me that he should first see if his computer is working as it should before everyone leaps to conclusions that skip that first important step. As I said in my post "If it did (recognize other connections to the USB) then there's a problem with your SDD install." That would lead to your suggestion that the drivers for the Mongoose hadn't been loaded.

Incidentally, even if the drivers hadn't been loaded a properly configured USB port should have popped up and said it was searching for them anyway and reported back if it couldn't find them.

Any way I apologize if I have appeared to step on your suggestion as it is a valid one and will probably come into play sooner rather than later.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from reading codes with the Mongoose is there a list of things that can be programmed or changed via programming? Just wondering what all can be done besides ride height.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Land Rover diagnostic tool