XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Land Rover diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Incidentally, even if the drivers hadn't been loaded a properly configured USB port should have popped up and said it was searching for them anyway and reported back if it couldn't find them.
Hi RDMinor,

I'm not sure if it works that way in a Virtual Machine. On the two laptops on which I've installed SDD in Win XP Pro 32-bit VMs, when you initiate the VM, you have to manually "Attach" any USB devices. If the Win XP doesn't recognize a USB device, it shows up in the USB menu as available but unidentified. I haven't had the VM automatically come up with the typical USB driver search/installation window even when I had the Mongoose drivers installed in the main OS but not the VM OS. Maybe one of our PC experts can shed light on this.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-17-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bruadair
Aside from reading codes with the Mongoose is there a list of things that can be programmed or changed via programming? Just wondering what all can be done besides ride height.

Hi Bruadair,

With SDD you can perform most of the functions available to Jaguar dealer service technicians, such as reflashing modules, programming the operation of dealer-programmable items like the Electronic Park Brake, Folding Mirrors, Daytime Running Lamps, etc. In addition to reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes, SDD helps diagnose the underlying cause of the code based on the symptoms you enter. It also shows whether a code is pending, intermittent, or permanent, which can be helpful in identifying spurious codes.

The SDD Training Manual probably doesn't list all the functions available, but it will give you a good idea of SDD's capabilities. You can download the manual here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6...l+02_02_12.pdf

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Bruadair (01-17-2015), jackra_1 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don B,

I uninstalled the SDD and reinstalled it Then added the MongoosePro with the SDD running. The MongoosePro was now flashing green with a red light. Then I connected it to the car and looked as is if it connecting and reading the car. Noticed a Lock at the top left of the screen. I then shut the system down and tried to restart. The SSD is now asking to be logged in. AARRRGGGG!!!!

Any reccomendations on what I should do next?

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Woodford Jag
Don B,

I uninstalled the SDD and reinstalled it Then added the MongoosePro with the SDD running. The MongoosePro was now flashing green with a red light. Then I connected it to the car and looked as is if it connecting and reading the car. Noticed a Lock at the top left of the screen. I then shut the system down and tried to restart. The SSD is now asking to be logged in.

Hi Woodford,

It sounds like you're getting close. Try restarting your computer, then before you start SDD, change the date of your computer to August 1, 2012 and disconnect your WiFi or any other Internet connection. Then try starting SDD and let us know what happens. August 1, 2012 works with my V134 - not sure if that date will work with V138 but try it and let us know. It's critical that your computer not be connected to the Internet when you start SDD or it will try to log on and update itself and foul everything up. With V134, when I allowed the computer clock to creep up to November, 2012, the SDD functionality was disabled because "The software has not been updated in too long," or something like that. Changing the clock back to August 1, 2012 restored functionality.

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-19-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you Don,

The date was set back before the SDD install to June 2011, I just tried August 1, 2012 with no luck. The wireless has been turned off the whole time.

Woodford Jag

Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Hi Woodford,

I don't know about your setup, but on mine, where I'm running SDD in a Windows XP Pro 32-bit virtual machine (VM) on a Windows 7 laptop, when I'm starting the VM, a window pops up asking for my username and password. Since I didn't setup those credentials, I just click the X to exit from that window and the VM boots.

Once the VM is running, I have to go to the USB menu, which on my system is at the top edge of the screen. There are choices for ACTION, USB, TOOLS and Ctrl+Alt+Del. I click on USB and a menu drops down with any USB devices that are connected to my laptop. In this case, the Mongoose is one of the options and I select ATTACH so the VM can see it. The word ATTACH changes to RELEASE. In the lower right of the screen a message appears temporarily to say "The Mongoose cable is attached and ready for use," or something to that effect.

I hope this may provide some clues. I really do think you're very close!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

The PDF that came with my SDD set up had a username and password in it JUST IN CASE that happened. I am at work and can't recall them, but check the PDFs that came with as it might be in there... If not, I will look when I get home and msg you with the info I have in there. GL!

Rags

Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

This has proved to be an interesting thread. I too recently bought a SDD/IDS disc and Mongoose cable. Even though it is on an XP laptop it is still running on a VM.

It too took me ages to set it up and get it going. One tip, you may already be aware of, is that at the foot of the VM you may see and icon that when you click it it finds and loads up your Mongoose cable.

My problem at the moment is reading the session files. Every time I do it it comes back with an error and I am unable to open anything.

Ohh well will keep plodding on.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi RDMinor,

I'm not sure if it works that way in a Virtual Machine. On the two laptops on which I've installed SDD in Win XP Pro 32-bit VMs, when you initiate the VM, you have to manually "Attach" any USB devices. If the Win XP doesn't recognize a USB device, it shows up in the USB menu as available but unidentified. I haven't had the VM automatically come up with the typical USB driver search/installation window even when I had the Mongoose drivers installed in the main OS but not the VM OS. Maybe one of our PC experts can shed light on this.

Thanks,

Don

Yesterday was the first opportunity I had to use my Brit Diag. software again (v130) and I installed the Mongoose cable while the laptop was still booting into Win 7 Pro. When I then entered the VM it still showed the cable as being connected but for the heck of it I pulled it out heard the tone signifying removal and then replaced it and again heard the tone signifying attachment and the VM recognized the cable once again. Aside from the possibility of the Win 7 Pro version being somehow different I don't know why it wouldn't work that way for every install.

Anyway I then used the IDS section of the software to successfully re-program my original key and transponder as well as the two new keys with transponders I had cut in England for my '99 XK8. In '99 they were still tied to IDS and NOT SDD.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

My SDD Software works, or appears to, on my 2003 XKR. The only problem so far I am having with it is that although it records the sessions I cannot read them when I try to open the files. I get an error message and when I click on "details" I get a box of what looks like a long script with Java mentioned lots of times.

I can load a script and continue working with it. I can open xml files on the VM machine. But I cannot open the Session file to see what work has been done. Errors etc

Can anyone tell me please what I am doing wrong? With a way of fixing this?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 AM
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

I finally got my SDD working yesterday. It wouldn't go on Vista 32-bit, so I had to get XP. But then it still gave me an error when trying to identify vehicle, but "Joyce" at UOBD2 in China actually provided the fix needed to make it work! When I got to work yesterday, I couldn't resist plugging it in out in the parking lot. Got lost in time, and everybody inside was worried maybe I'd had heart attack because the car was running and the lights on. LOL

Old 01-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
My SDD Software works, or appears to, on my 2003 XKR. The only problem so far I am having with it is that although it records the sessions I cannot read them when I try to open the files. I get an error message and when I click on "details" I get a box of what looks like a long script with Java mentioned lots of times.

I can load a script and continue working with it. I can open xml files on the VM machine. But I cannot open the Session file to see what work has been done. Errors etc

Can anyone tell me please what I am doing wrong? With a way of fixing this?

Thanks
I think you're trying to use SDD in a way it doesn't work. After starting a session (enter VIN either manually or read from the car) SDD reads DTC's from the car. You then can choose to do diagnostics, service etc. If you want to end the session you choose end session.

The next time you want to use SDD again you enter the VIN again just as you would start a new session. At a certain point you see in the right top screen some icons including one called sessions. If you click this you see a list of previous sessions and you can load one you want to resume. In such a session all the previous gathered DTC's are still there and the session remembers what you did.

You can't manual open sessions because their binary coded. Hope this helps.

Guus

Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xag
After starting a session (enter VIN either manually or read from the car) SDD reads DTC's from the car. You then can choose to do diagnostics, service etc.

Hi Guus,

Which version of SDD are you using? I have V131.03 and V134 and neither of those versions seems to automatically read DTCs and make them available for review. After the program starts and shows icons for all the modules, it does indicate modules with stored DTCs, but I haven't figured out how to read the DTCs without first running a Diagnostic session and entering at least one symptom, then clicking on Recommendations and going down to one of the options to scan the DTCs, either ones related to the symptoms I've entered or all DTCs including unrelated ones. Is there a shortcut to reading the DTCs that I haven't discovered?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-30-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Xag

Hi Don, the SDD reads the DTC codes as part of the first scan of your car, it's not something you have to do manually. After that select a symptom and the software tries to match the symptoms to the relevant DTC's. You can also reread the DTC's from the diagnose or service menu.

Matching isn't great though. I usually go for the topmost "network" symptom and have a look myself under not related DTC's. The advantage is you get to see al the modules straight away instead of the "relevant" ones decided by the software.

Guus
PS I've got the 1.31 too.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Xag
Hi Don, the SDD reads the DTC codes as part of the first scan of your car, it's not something you have to do manually. After that select a symptom and the software tries to match the symptoms to the relevant DTC's. You can also reread the DTC's from the diagnose or service menu.

Thanks Guus,

I just wanted to clarify that we do have to select a symptom before we can view any stored DTCs. I was hoping you knew of a shortcut. On both of my versions, after the initial startup scan the two available tabs are Session and Recommendations. The options under that Recommendations tab do not include reading, clearing or re-reading the DTCs. To get those options, I have to enter a Diagnosis or Service Functions session. Under one of those sessions, the options under Recommendations will then include reading, clearing or re-reading the DTCs.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-31-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:07 AM
Xag

Don, mine's just like yours.

I like to reuse sessions because it has the advantage not having to go through the car specifications again. On a new session I always have to choose if the car has voice, what kind of telephone and later in another screen if it's an armored version or not.

This way I avoid that and start straight in te running diagnose session and just have to reread the current DTC's from the car if I want too. Also keeps the data logger files in the same session, which I like.

Guus

Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Xag;1151454I like to reuse sessions because it has the advantage not having to go through the car specifications again. On a new session I always have to choose if the car has voice, what kind of telephone and later in another screen if it's an armored version or not.

This way I avoid that and start straight in te running diagnose session and just have to reread the current DTC's from the car if I want too. Also keeps the data logger files in the same session, which I like.[/QUOTE]

Guus,

Those are very good tips that I've discovered too, and was reminded of recently when, on a whim, I started a new session. I had to go through that long delay of answering those questions and waiting for SDD to run a full system scan of every single module. I won't be doing that again without a very good reason!

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xag
I think you're trying to use SDD in a way it doesn't work. After starting a session (enter VIN either manually or read from the car) SDD reads DTC's from the car. You then can choose to do diagnostics, service etc. If you want to end the session you choose end session.

The next time you want to use SDD again you enter the VIN again just as you would start a new session. At a certain point you see in the right top screen some icons including one called sessions. If you click this you see a list of previous sessions and you can load one you want to resume. In such a session all the previous gathered DTC's are still there and the session remembers what you did.

You can't manual open sessions because their binary coded. Hope this helps.

Guus
Thank you for trying to help but I do not think you quite understand what I am trying to do, unless of course I have got it wrong.

If after you have done all the work you want to do and you click top right where it says "sessions" you are presented, in v130 anyway, with three options. 1. Export. 2. Brief details. 3. Full details. I can export no problem. But when I click to look at either brief or full details all I get is an error screen.

I have sort of given up on V130 now because of various problems. So I have downloaded and installed V139. I want to use JLRPatch_EN.EXE but I cannot find it anywhere now that works.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or has a usable username and password?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 AM
Xag

Okay I see what you mean with the 3 options. I've had both V130 and now use 1.31 and on both the options have the following meaning.

1 Reload previous session (not export)
2 Sort summary of the session
3 Long summary of the session

Your problem seems to be with the summaries and since these simply work on my 1.31 I don't have any advise what's wrong with yours. These summaries are about the installed system and some basic data from the vehicle the summary is for, it's not a summary of the things SDD has recorded from your car or the things you changed/did.

I do use the reload function but never look at the summaries.

Guus

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xag
Okay I see what you mean with the 3 options. I've had both V130 and now use 1.31 and on both the options have the following meaning.

1 Reload previous session (not export)
2 Sort summary of the session
3 Long summary of the session

Your problem seems to be with the summaries and since these simply work on my 1.31 I don't have any advise what's wrong with yours. These summaries are about the installed system and some basic data from the vehicle the summary is for, it's not a summary of the things SDD has recorded from your car or the things you changed/did.

I do use the reload function but never look at the summaries.

Guus
Yes, you have got it. There are other things wrong in my version of V130 too. So much so I downloaded the V139. I cannot get passed the sign in so I am now downloading V138 with the patch enclosed. It has been downloading now for 24 hours, nearly there One day I will get it to work.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Land Rover diagnostic tool