XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Land Rover diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

After using the 1.30 version available online I decided to get a V1.31 on eBay, the non VMWARE version. Works well and doesn't need a password if I remember well. There are more options in the data logger of the newer version which is welcome.

Guus

Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used the Autel Maidas 708 scan tool ? I know it's on the upscale side and I still do some work on the side and really saves you money in the long run by fixing it right and solving the problems that other scan tools can't find.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I've the JLR SDD v138, but when I install it i get a CRC error on file VDF_L_DVD138_V5.EXE
Does anyone have the same error, or can anyone share the file?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Does ANYONE have a running SDD setup in the Raleigh NC area? I would like to enable Global Cosing, Dip passenger side mirror on reverse and explore a couple items. If not, since this thread is quite old, can anyone point me at a good source of Mongoose clone and advise what versions I should seek for an 07 X350 Vanden Plas? Really want to explore this...

Thanks for any help I can get!
​​​

Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Interested but ???

Originally Posted by jmeres
Free download JLR SDD V157:
Fully software: Index of /265935/idscentral
Driver and patch here.
works with JLR Mangoose cable.

JLR SDD V157 installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFPNKL4CsI

I'm interested in this but since I have an older version that I've been running for several years I'm in no hurry to experiment. Has anyone else installed this version and is there any advantage to it for a pair of older Jags? I have a '99 XK8 which requires the older IDS program and a 2004 XJ8 that probably doesn't have near the onboard functionality of the newer models.

My biggest gripe about the system is that in many, if not most cases, the specific code given can be caused by a laundry list of possibilities and you could spend a small fortune chasing all the potential leads.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
I'm interested in this but since I have an older version that I've been running for several years I'm in no hurry to experiment. Has anyone else installed this version and is there any advantage to it for a pair of older Jags? I have a '99 XK8 which requires the older IDS program and a 2004 XJ8 that probably doesn't have near the onboard functionality of the newer models.

My biggest gripe about the system is that in many, if not most cases, the specific code given can be caused by a laundry list of possibilities and you could spend a small fortune chasing all the potential leads.
Hi RD,

For your combination of Jags, the best package I have is SDD v130.3, which I purchased from a U.K.-based seller via eBay. This package came with an extra disc of calibration files, which gives it the ability to update modules such as the TCM, and equally helpful, it reverts to IDS when connected to an X100 or X308. I also sometimes use v134 when I just need to scan codes on an X105/200/350/358 because it's faster. I would assume v157 would be faster still, but what I don't know is whether it requires an active subscription to TOPix in order to function.

Regarding multiple possible causes of codes, that is true of all DTCs, even the generic OBDII Powertrain codes mandated by law. In more recent implementations, the manufacturer-specific DTCs do point more specifically to individual components, circuits or grounds, but the system in the X350 and its contemporaries narrows things down far better than the more primitive ones in the X300/100/308s.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (07-01-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi RD,
I don't know is whether it requires an active subscription to TOPix in order to function.
Unlike earlier SDD versions i.e. 147 and below this download does not include the VDF (vehicle data) files so I think it has to be used with a Topix subscription. While the blog post shows a user login I don't know if it will work or continue to work

Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 AM

Hey Don, have a 2013 XF I'd like to get some information on regarding a CEL. Do you have any information on what would be the best option for me? I have found SDD kits online for about $50 CAD, but not sure if those are legit. Please point me in the right direction if possible. Cheers.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013XF3.0
Hey Don, have a 2013 XF I'd like to get some information on regarding a CEL. Do you have any information on what would be the best option for me? I have found SDD kits online for about $50 CAD, but not sure if those are legit. Please point me in the right direction if possible. Cheers.
You have revived a thread which has had no activity in two years. There is more up-to-date information to be found in equivalent topic threads in our General Tech Help forum.

Jaguar SDD is still the dealer level tool but the Mongoose Pro cable from Drew Technologies is no longer available.

If you simply want to read Powertrain (Pxxxx) codes which illuminate the CEL, then SDD could be overkill. Most basic code readers will read these. Reference to the Workshoip Manual would give possible causes for relevant codes.

You mention 'SDD kits online for about $50 CAD'. These are definitely cracked software together with a cloned Mongoose. Nothing wrong with that for diagnostics but I'd be very cautious about programming with them. If you do go that route, make sure you get SDD v1.50 or later. Anything before that is unlikely to detect your 2013 model.

Graham

Last edited by Don B; 07-12-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Don B (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 02:04 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Hi 2013XF3.0,

Probably the most economical setup for reading Powertrain diagnostic trouble codes is an ELM327 OBDII adapter and an app for your phone.

If your phone is an Android, you need a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter and an app such as Torque Pro. I purchase the adapters on eBay for less than USD $10.00 each. I think the Torque Pro app runs around USD $5.00 from the Google Play store.

If your phone is an iPhone, you need a WiFi ELM327 adapter and an app such as DashCommand.

Dedicated hardware options include hand-held scanners from iCarsoft and Foxwell with software designed specifically for Jaguar/Land Rover vehicles. Search the forums for reviews.

I have several versions of SDD and I mostly use v131.03 and v134 for programming. But for diagnostics, I use my Autel MaxiSys Elite, which is an expensive high-end scan tool that can read all Jaguar DTCs and even do some programming, and it is MUCH faster than SDD. Autel offers less expensive non-bi-directional tools that can read all Jaguar codes, such as the MaxiCheck MX808, which I also own. This tool can read all the Powertrain (P-prefix), Body (B-prefix), Chassis (C-prefix) and Network (U-prefix) DTCs, but it's not cheap either, at nearly $400.00.

I'd start with an ELM327 and your phone and see if it meets your needs.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (07-25-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
You have revived a thread which has had no activity in two years. There is more up-to-date information to be found in equivalent topic threads in our General Tech Help forum.

Jaguar SDD is still the dealer level tool but the Mongoose Pro cable from Drew Technologies is no longer available.

If you simply want to read Powertrain (Pxxxx) codes which illuminate the CEL, then SDD could be overkill. Most basic code readers will read these. Reference to the Workshoip Manual would give possible causes for relevant codes.

You mention 'SDD kits online for about $50 CAD'. These are definitely cracked software together with a cloned Mongoose. Nothing wrong with that for diagnostics but I'd be very cautious about programming with them. If you do go that route, make sure you get SDD v1.50 or later. Anything before that is unlikely to detect your 2013 model.

Graham
Originally Posted by Don B
Hi 2013XF3.0,

Probably the most economical setup for reading Powertrain diagnostic trouble codes is an ELM327 OBDII adapter and an app for your phone.

If your phone is an Android, you need a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter and an app such as Torque Pro. I purchase the adapters on eBay for less than USD $10.00 each. I think the Torque Pro app runs around USD $5.00 from the Google Play store.

If your phone is an iPhone, you need a WiFi ELM327 adapter and an app such as DashCommand.

Dedicated hardware options include hand-held scanners from iCarsoft and Foxwell with software designed specifically for Jaguar/Land Rover vehicles. Search the forums for reviews.

I have several versions of SDD and I mostly use v131.03 and v134 for programming. But for diagnostics, I use my Autel MaxiSys Elite, which is an expensive high-end scan tool that can read all Jaguar DTCs and even do some programming, and it is MUCH faster than SDD. Autel offers less expensive non-bi-directional tools that can read all Jaguar codes, such as the MaxiCheck MX808, which I also own. This tool can read all the Powertrain (P-prefix), Body (B-prefix), Chassis (C-prefix) and Network (U-prefix) DTCs, but it's not cheap either, at nearly $400.00.

I'd start with an ELM327 and your phone and see if it meets your needs.

Cheers,

Don
Sorry for reviving the old thread, I've now gone through the entire general tech help thread regarding scan tools.

I'm going to go with the ELM327 and my phone for now then see what is what. I'm not really concerned with the programming side, just looking to have tools such as SDD that can let me know what is the most likely issue before I begin to throw parts at the vehicle.

I appreciate the input from both of you! Thank you so much.