XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jlr ids sdd

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jlr ids sdd

04 XJ8 Long Island NY
Hello and please help
I am new to the forum and Jaguar. I have replaced my air compressor and can not get the car tp pump up. Compressor stops after 30 to 40 seconds and nothing.. From what I have read The suspension has to be reset so I bought a Foxwells OBD 2 unit claiming to be able to do all sorts of things. Bottom line it doesn't do anything except read and clear codes. Every time I try something it just says function not supported.. Very frustrating.. I read on the forum that the JLR IDS SDD is the best way to go when it comes to long term maintenance and repair. I purchased a new Lenovo think pad AMD Quad core A12-9720P processor 2.7GHz, *GB DDR4, 1TB HDD that runs windows 10. Also purchased a program on Ebay to down load but the instructions have no vocals and clearly go so fast there is no way to keep up without laborious stop and go. I have also read that this item is potentially dangerous to damaging parts of the cars computer system.. Have I wasted time and money? Am I better off returning the computer and putting the money towards a $1200 dollar unit that comes programmed with hardware.. I'm not exactly in a position to just poney up that kind of cash for that right now though so I'm hoping I can make this work with some sage advise and help.. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts

Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi special effects,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

Jaguar Symptom Driven Diagnostics is obviously a powerful program, given that it is what Jaguar dealership service departments used to diagnose malfunctions and program your X350 when it was still being serviced by the dealer. SDD has the capability to reprogram Electronic Control Units, and also the capability to ruin them, so it must be used with caution and full awareness of the risks associated with its use. The learning curve is fairly steep.

Due to the unknown legality of the package you purchased, and differences in installation procedures, the seller is your best source of information for installing your package.

For the experiences of our members who have learned to use SDD, click on the Search button above, choose the Advanced Search option in the dropdown menu, and then search SDD.

You can download an instruction manual for the basic use of SDD here:

IDS SDD JLR Technical Training

Regarding your air suspension, what were the symptoms that prompted you to replace the compressor?

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Don and thank you for your input
when I first obtained the car it drove like a dream.. Floated down the road like an old Caddy but handles like a sports car... was mad at myself that I haven't owned one for ten years already.. Anyway I started getting suspension fault codes but no noticeable difference in ride quality and they would clear themselves overnight. Then the car started going into firm and not being as comfortable. the car then started to go too high in the front and topping the struts giving a very uncomfortable ride. I would have to manually let air out of the front struts to try to level the car off.. then the car started to drop the rear struts all the way down. I checked all the struts manually by disconnecting the air hoses at the block in the trunk and putting in about 120 pounds of air... No leaks could be detected. so I felt I was in the clear with the struts for now.. I read that the system not having the correct pressure in the correct amount of time caused all sorts of symptoms. I tested the compressor best I could and it definitely didn't impress me. I figured a new one was in order and it definitely performs much better.. I now have a situation where the block will not let air into the tank. I did a hard reset and while it was resetting it opened up the valve temporarily and let just a little bit of air in. I was suspecting the block was bad but since it opened up upon reset it leads me to believe that the system needs to be reset from within with some real software.. Again I'm not an educated Jaguar tech but feel I'm on the right track. Please ad your impressions here.. thanks again.. Peter

Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I have used a cheap Windows 7 laptop to run JLR SDD version 13 something forget the exact version,, and a genuine Mangoose cable, to set my ride height after
having rear raised off the ground to replace lots of "stuff".
When lowered the rear was way too high. Ran the appropriate software to get everything correct.

Took a while as the procedure is tedious but it worked.

Had a proper battery support system running the whole time as this is very important as things go wrong in a heartbeat if you lose adequate power during a long procedure.
Accessing fault codes here may be helpful.
Having said all of that I suspect that IF I had driven the car a bit it may well have reset automatically. Someone may well correct my suspicion.

Another observation I would make is that you need to be sure there is not a mechanical issue of some sort preventing the air suspension from working properly before trying to run air ride height adjustment software.

Last edited by jackra_1; 04-14-2019 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Try:

Check all height sensors for damage,looseness,or damaged wiring.

Break a joint near ballast tank and completely depressurise system.

Remake joint.

Perform hard reset (touch battery leads together).

Check transducer for continuity.

Run engine and run car if body does not rise.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-14-2019)