XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought a 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Check engine light on - Codes below....

OK, I got the 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio today and did all the DMV stuff and there is ‘really’ only one thing wrong with it... <grin>

Check Engine Light is ON - I went to AutoZone to have the codes read, in which, I included the codes below...Any ideas on how I should proceeded to fix this????

There are, I think, minor things i read about in lots and lots of reviews on this car like:

1) Engine or exhaust is a bit loud when accelerating while driving, but sounds cools, like the older muscle car I grow up with in the early 70’s.

2) And more than normal road noise while driving around - Maybe because the the 20” rims. It has brand new Michelin Pilot Sport tires (34 psi front and 36 psi rear)?

3) Auto Streering Wheel/Seat control freaks out sometimes - Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t work and when off, it sometimes does the auto thing???

I been driving this car around all day today and I just love this car !!!

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio...-5c633226-ac57-45f4-a164-b8545349c5f1.jpeg  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Looks like an O2 sensor problem on bank 2. Possibly a leak in the intake system as well.

If it is loud accelerating, like a muscle car, then is the exhaust stock, modified, or even damaged somewhere.

The stock exhaust is very quiet on these cars.

The following users liked this post:
Aleather (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Looks like an O2 sensor problem on bank 2. Possibly a leak in the intake system as well.

If it is loud accelerating, like a muscle car, then is the exhaust stock, modified, or even damaged somewhere.

The stock exhaust is very quiet on these cars.
So, maybe changing out the O2 sensor on bank 2 might reduces some of these codes? How do I reset the codes, disconnect the battery?

While the car is in Nutural and I give it gas, it’s very very quite, but give it gas while driving, the engine is a bit louder. It’s not bad sounding, but it’s louder than I thought a car in this class would sound.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Congrats on the buy. You got a rare, exceptional exclusive car. The paint is to die for. Hope you keep up the detailing of your beauty.

Most likely you have a vacuum leak. A smoke down test should isolate it if there is a leak.

The electrical DTCs are likely from a bad battery.

In any case, an experienced Jag mechanic can resolve these issues. One question. Why did you buy it with the engine lite/DTC issue without the Dealer fixing it? He knew about it and just cleared the codes before you test drove it. Get him to fix all that stuff.

Good Luck from an 06 SV8 Owner....

Aleather (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mberman
Congrats on the buy. You got a rare, exceptional exclusive car. The paint is to die for. Hope you keep up the detailing of your beauty.

Most likely you have a vacuum leak. A smoke down test should isolate it if there is a leak.

The electrical DTCs are likely from a bad battery.

In any case, an experienced Jag mechanic can resolve these issues. One question. Why did you buy it with the engine lite/DTC issue without the Dealer fixing it? He knew about it and just cleared the codes before you test drove it. Get him to fix all that stuff.

Good Luck from an 06 SV8 Owner....
I bought the car on eBay with only about 20 minutes left on the bid. I did ask the owner/dealer about the car and he said all is good. I will tell him (Dealer in Kentucky) about the check engine light. But the only jaguar dealer near Cape Cod Mass is about two hours away and I don’t know if there are any good jaguar shops on the Cape I know of. <grin>. I use to work on cars way back and just replaced the timing tension and guides on my 1998 XK8 Jaguar myself. Just need to know what to do...<grin>

Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 PM

Cars today are mostly about DTCs. If you plug and play with parts until you get lucky before you empty your bank account, you should consider a good mechanic. The jag issues are very predictable and any real jag mechanic can repair on the first go around.
You can always get the Jag workshop manuals and approach the DIY repairs and consume hours and hours of your time. These car are sophisticated to maintain. That's the reason you were able to purchase a $115k car for such a ridiculous price.
Spend the money and have a jag mechanic go thru your car and fix what needs to be fixed. When everything is in spec these cars are a joy to drive.
You may have to do your mega drive to the nearest jag mechanic. It will be worth it if you did not purchase a pile of deferred maintenance.

Last edited by mberman; 10-24-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Aleather (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aleather
So, maybe changing out the O2 sensor on bank 2 might reduces some of these codes? How do I reset the codes, disconnect the battery?
Some people swap sensors from right to left and see if the fault transfers over just to make sure it is the O2 sensor(s).

If the fault does not transfer then it is something else like a leak.

I good ODB ll reader will clear these codes once the fault is cleared.

Aleather (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Some people swap sensors from right to left and see if the fault transfers over just to make sure it is the O2 sensor(s).

If the fault does not transfer then it is something else like a leak.

I good ODB ll reader will clear these codes once the fault is cleared.
+1 on this. O2 sensors are reading a problem somewhere else and are not typically the problem itself. Swapping them is a quick and free way to confirm they're operating as they should. If the code changes bank, you have a defective sensor, if not, you likely have leak and a smoke test is warranted.

Clearing codes is a whole thing and requires tools. If you are DIY on the shade tree mechanic side, opt for a Foxwell 510 unit. If you nothing about cars other than changing spark plugs, oil and air filters and tires, find a good independent mechanic, preferably who specializes in Jaguars.

Aleather (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Sean W, I wish I read this before I went to AutoZone and bought the “Innova 3160g” Scan Tool. Anyways, I erased the codes with this scan tool and engine lite went out and it didn’t come back on until I restarted the engine on the third cycle. I then turned engine off, than to the On position (engine still off) and read the new codes and below are the new codes. I don’t know the difference between Stored Codes and Pending Codes and why is the MIL DTC (Code P2099) on a line by it’s self?

02 sensors are not much money, so maybe I will buy and replace it, and do the smoke test if that doesn’t work - What do u think? Do u know of a video/anything that shows me where the Bank 2 02 Sensor is? And a video/anything on how to do the smoke test?

Last year my Mercedes Benz engine lite came on and I run to AutoZone and got the Codes and it was two codes saying something about the 02 Sensor on Bank 2, so I bought that sensor and borrowed the tool from AutoZone, and after repaced, the check engine lite never came back On again and still is Off. But on the Mercedes I didn’t get a code like 2099, so maybe it’s not the 02 Sensor, but a vacuum leak???

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio...-4d18b4d8-8b48-49c1-b7ae-91bfd209d492.jpg  

Last edited by Aleather; 10-25-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 10-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cation-107034/

Aleather have a look at the above.

However 46,000 miles is rather early for your O2 sensors to be failing. Still possible so if it were me I would swap the sensors over and if the fault does not transfer over then its probably a leak.

Last edited by jackra_1; 10-25-2017 at 08:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Aleather (10-25-2017), Sean W (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Jackra_1, Thanks for that link, very cool!!! I looked up the P2099 code and it says the most common cause is the ‘mass airflow sensor. Other causes are:
1)mass airflow sensor’s circuitry
2)air inlet tubing connect to intake manifold could have vacuum leak
3)02 sensor
4)fruity fuel pressure regulator
5)manifold absolute sensor
6)powertrain control module

And if the engine don’t show symptoms and runs good, it’s most likely the 02 sensor.

OK, My XJ engine sounds really good, with no perforance or shaking issues, misfiring or any issue, the car runs really well....Do you know a link that shows me where the mass airflow sensor is and all the other causes - sensors/modules/regulars are? If it’s easy to swap out the two 02 sensors, that’s what I will do first!!! I guess, I’m still trying to avoid taking my car to the Jaguar Dealer. <grin>

Last edited by Aleather; 10-25-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

If you look at the air filter housing and follow the inlet pipe to the left you will see an electrical connector attached to the MAF sensor going in to the pipe from the rear.

If the issue is not the O2 sensor I am leaning strongly towards a leak somewhere.

However, having said that, a leak in a "common" part of the inlet would cause problems on both banks I would think.

I had a problem after I installed new O2 sensors, all 4, and it turned out that I had not torqued one of the sensors in snugly enough. So my code fault was on that side only just as yours is.

You need to fix this as too rich a fuel mixture could harm the catalytic converter over a period of time.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Aleather (10-25-2017), Sean W (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

I'm still with Jack. Swap the 02 sensors first and see if the codes change but yes it could be a bad sensor and it looks like you have a intake leak.

P0051 - 02 sensor circuit failure.

P0151 - HO2S sensing circuit - short to ground, short to power, high resistance.

P2099 - Check integrity and correct installation of air intake system.
likely and air intake leak - smoke test lots of video on how on YouTube.

Aleather (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks guys!!! I fixed allot of problems myself on my 1998 XK8 (and it only has 35,000 miles on it) by going to this forum first!!! I think I can do this and I just love this 2006 XJ8L car - What do they call the external paint, Black Cherry - It is to die for :-)

Old 10-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed. The black cherry is special.

Be extremely careful putting her up on Jack Stands. A lot of threads available for advice on lift points and stand points so I won't delve into it here. I was never comfortable laying under mine. I ended up buying a lift.

Please keep us apprised.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 AM

For online workshop manuals try the subscription service:

alldata.com

it's worth it.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Agreed. The black cherry is special.

Be extremely careful putting her up on Jack Stands. A lot of threads available for advice on lift points and stand points so I won't delve into it here. I was never comfortable laying under mine. I ended up buying a lift.

Please keep us apprised.
+1 on the black cherry.

Scissor lift on my wish list when I get to MA.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:29 AM

Mberman, Thanks for the link to ‘alldata’! I am leaning towards bringing the car to a jaguar deal in the future, maybe, just for price of mind. Even tho it is a major trip to get there, I never never have good luck with repair shops in the past. <grin> I did read lots of reviews on this car after I bought it, because I only had less than twenty minutes to decide and the only complaints were, no back up camera, above normal road noise (maybe from tires?) and above normal engine sound while accelerating. This is a very very cool car to drive around in!!!!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mberman
For online workshop manuals try the subscription service:

alldata.com

it's worth it.
Or this. it's free or rather asks for a donation.

I used these in conjunction with a repair manual (CD) off eBay for $14

Electrical is covered on this link. Click the training guides sub link and there is a word of info there for your vehicle as well. OEM documentation.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Scissor lift on my wish list when I get to MA.
I went with this lift (MR6K-38) as the scissor lift gets in the way of exhaust and trans access. It covers 99% of what anyone needs. I use a mechanic pad to lay on as creepers are overrated. It fits the XJ LWB just fine.

Here she is about 18" up on the lift.

Super V8 on the lift

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Aleather (10-26-2017), jackra_1 (10-26-2017)