XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Key info

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Red face Key info

A question about keys;

Bought a new to me 07 VP last year, only one key, factory, no remote. Had an extra remote from the totaled S Type, that works well, programmed it with no issues. Question ordered a new key switch blade type, no remote from the dealer. Will the new key program the same as the remote, or do you turn the old key to position II twice, or just once, then put the new in turn it to position II, to program it in into the car???Need a bit of help to know just what to do, to have at least one extra key. After that i will be sure of how to do it for myself, as well as to show others. Have showed a few how their remotes were programmed, they were not happy how quick, as well as easy to do, having paid the dealer to program a new key they just bought from them

Old 02-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Red face

Can anyone answer my inquiry as to programming a new dealer cut key to my 07 VP?

Will programming an old remote with the new key attached, enable the new key to work?

Or is it necessary to put my only key into ignition turn it to position II, remove it, once, or twice? Then insert new key, turn to position II, wait, then the dash should all light up, enabling the new key

Old 02-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The key transponder will need to be configured to the car. A minimum of 2 keys will be required.

The procedure to configure another key without diagnostic computer assistance requires 2 keys ALREADY configured to the car.

Keyfob transmitters are completely separate, no correlation to the transponders.

bob

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Red face

Lists if only a single key is available, IT can still be done, reread things, i did, now, do you put old key in once, setting to position II or once, or twice, then the new key????? Old key will be reset, with the new key, to a new, different setting, then you have two, for when you get around to the third one.Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Guess no one knows;

Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

As I understand it you if you have only one key then you need to use a computer with SDD software to register a second key's transponder with the car.

Only if you have two or more keys (or rather, their transponders) already registered with the car can use the 'headlamp flasher' method to register a third, or more, key.

See 'Key fob / Remote' in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20085/

Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

When read the second time, I understood, and still read, the KEY part can be programmed to the car. But any other old keys, JUST like remotes, would then, not FUNCTION. Nice feature IF THAT IS, the way it works. THAT'S why two, which are what ALMOST ALL OWNERS, already have, are that way in the instructions. They just want another one (key), while keeping all the others programmed in. Don't yet have the new key in my hand yet, have paid for it already, so no big hurry to get it. Question is STILL; Would one insert the key into the ignition once, or twice, turning to position II, before inserting the new key????? Or am i reading the instructions wrong???? I have had no issues programming Jaguar remotes, some cheap knock offs are another story. I just want to have at least two keys, that work. I will drive the car to the dealer when i pick the key up. I just hate the idea of paying $80.00 to program the new key to the car.Want to cover my butt as much as i can is why i don't have it delivered.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

If you want to register a transponder & key fob set to the car by using the headlamp flashing method you need two keys each with a transponder that is already registered to the car (so that's two already registered transponders). That means you can only use that method to register a third (or more) key & transponder.

If you have only one key with its transponder programmed to the car, ie only one key fob which works, then the only way to register a second key/transponder fob is via the SDD/IDS

A second key which fits the ignition switch but with a transponder not yet registered in the car's system, is useless (for anything) until it's registered to the car using the SDD/IDS

Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Red face

Well tried and failed to program my new key with the only other key available to me. So picked up a used original remote, with an uncut blank into the jaguar key end, guaranteed to program when cut. Had an extra aftermarket uncut key with no remote laying around, so cut both, then programmed all three new as well as the original for just under $60, not too bad. Dealer wanted $80 after buying one of theirs, so as good as it gets, or not, its done. Can do it myself from now on. Found seven used Jaguar remotes, six with cut keys, for $60 delivered. Those key ends, can be reworked, with new blanks reinstalled into the factory key, glued shut, then cut, & programmed to fit your car, an affordable alternative to new. After programming three of the six to fit my keys without remotes, i'll still have a few for the shelf, or sell.Thanks to all you were right, had to pay to make it work.