XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Location of the air suspension height sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Location of the air suspension height sensor

Does anyone knows where the high sensor is located for the air suspension of an XJ8 2004?
I need to replace the front air shocks and I am worry about that. I have been reading other posts and watched the installation video from Arnott in YouTube and they do not mention anything about it. Also the removal and installation looks to easy and I think there is more about it that meets the eye.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

What do you mean "high sensor"? On the 2004 you might have one on each side. It attaches to the lower suspension arm and has an arm that attaches to a fixed point to read height. You'll see it when removing the wheel. If you only have one sensor it will be on the driver's side near the brakes toward the vehicle cabin side. I'm a little fuzzy on exact location since I removed it when I installed coilovers on my car.

The lower strut bolt tends to stick, but that's the only real issue I'm familiar with when swapping parts.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by rf69
Does anyone knows where the high sensor is located for the air suspension of an XJ8 2004?
I need to replace the front air shocks and I am worry about that. I have been reading other posts and watched the installation video from Arnott in YouTube and they do not mention anything about it. Also the removal and installation looks to easy and I think there is more about it that meets the eye.
Thanks
Hi rf69,

The best resource I know of is the Air Suspension & ECATS section of the Dealer Training Manual, which you can download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

The ride height sensors are mounted on the suspension control arms and are described and illustrated in the manual. The manual states that there are four height sensors, which was correct for early X350s, but if the VIN of your '04 is G26872 or higher, you will only have three height sensors, one at each rear corner and one at the front left corner.

I have done the Arnott conversion on two X350s and did not have to fiddle with the height sensors at all.

Replacing the front air springs/shocks is straightforward if you follow both the Arnott printed instructions and their YouTube video. Note that the female narrator of the video repeatedly refers to "nuts" as "bolts," but otherwise the instructions are correct. One thing to know is that the air spring/shock units are heavy, so be prepared to handle them when you disconnect the last top nut or lower bolt.

If your car has had certain software updates performed, you will need Arnott's Electronic Bypass Module (EBM) to prevent the Air Suspension Control Module from causing suspension and CATS warning lamps to illuminate on the instrument cluster.

There is plenty of information in this forum on replacing the stock suspension components with Arnott's.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-18-2016 at 01:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (11-25-2016), jamwilbat (11-20-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Torrid
What do you mean "high sensor"? On the 2004 you might have one on each side. It attaches to the lower suspension arm and has an arm that attaches to a fixed point to read height. You'll see it when removing the wheel. If you only have one sensor it will be on the driver's side near the brakes toward the vehicle cabin side. I'm a little fuzzy on exact location since I removed it when I installed coilovers on my car.

The lower strut bolt tends to stick, but that's the only real issue I'm familiar with when swapping parts.
Yes, you are right it is the ride height sensor and thanks for the information, very helpful 😎👍

Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi rf69,

The best resource I know of is the Air Suspension & ECATS section of the Dealer Training Manual, which you can download here:

The ride height sensors are mounted on the suspension control arms and are described and illustrated in the manual. The manual states that there are four height sensors, which was correct for early X350s, but if the VIN of your '04 is G26872 or higher, you will only have three height sensors, one at each rear corner and one at the front left corner.

I have done the Arnott conversion on two X350s and did not have to fiddle with the height sensors at all.

Replacing the front air springs/shocks is straightforward if you follow both the Arnott printed instructions and their YouTube video. Note that the female narrator of the video repeatedly refers to "nuts" as "bolts," but otherwise the instructions are correct. One thing to know is that the air spring/shock units are heavy, so be prepared to handle them when you disconnect the last top nut or lower bolt.

If your car has had certain software updates performed, you will need Arnott's Electronic Bypass Module (EBM) to prevent the Air Suspension Control Module from causing suspension and CATS warning lamps to illuminate on the instrument cluster.

There is plenty of information in this forum on replacing the stock suspension components with Arnott's.

Cheers,

Don
Thank you very much Don, very good information I really appreciate it ����
The ride height sensor is what I needed to know about more.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Hi rf69,

Cheers,

Don
Thanks again for the info very good, one more question, what is the best way to access the air suspension control module? It is behind the passenger seat and I cannot get it down it's kind of stuck

Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The EARLY X350 had a ride height sensor on EACH lower control arm (4 total).

The later cars did not have 4.

bob

Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

The ride height sensors are mounted on the suspension control arms and are described and illustrated in the manual.
Originally Posted by motorcarman
The EARLY X350 had a ride height sensor on EACH lower control arm (4 total).

Erm ... actually the rear height sensors are connected to the upper suspension arms, not the lower

Last edited by Don B; 11-18-2016 at 01:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
Don B (11-18-2016), motorcarman (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
Erm ... actually the rear height sensors are connected to the upper suspension arms, not the lower

Good Catch

Petz (07-17-2023)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat

Since the OP's inquiry was specifically about the location of the front height sensors, Bob's answer was correct, as usual.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (11-25-2016)