XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Filter Replacement

Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air Filter Replacement

We just bought an '06 VDP and, due to its high miles, want to replace all the filters, specifically, the Air and Fuel filters.

My questions are:

1) How difficult is it to replace the Fuel Filter in a pressurized delivery system? Do you have to reset any computer modules? Or is it a simple swap out?

and

2) Are there any drawbacks (other than cost) to installing a K&N Air Filter on these cars? I've heard rumors that the oily element can cause issues with Air Mass sensors and I certainly don't want to buy new problems.

BTW, I'm new here and did do a search but was surprised to find no results. My apologies if this was covered before and I missed it.
Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't see any reason a K&N panel filter would cause any issue? I kept with the stock filter. Any improvement the K&N would have is nominal at very best.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my stock airfilter on my 04 XJR with a K&N no problems, I also replaced my own fuel filter with a bosch , pretty easy location is under driver's seat were your left foot would rest on the floor. Under the car remove 3-4 small plastic screw pins and fold back the plastic until you can reach fuel filter. 1st i would depressurize the system then disconnect the battery.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with a K&N panel filter as well....no problems at all. I did get a slight (1.5-2) mpg increase. I have used them in every car I have ever owned and never had an issue. Just be careful when you clean and re-oil it not to apply too much oil.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Don't forget the cabin air filter. Helps keep the interior smelling like new.

On my 05 VDP it is passenger side under the hood along firewall.

http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i...b=F&pn=CF10561

Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies.

It sure seems like the K&N is a favorite of many here although a Euro Auto repair shop, I've used before, suggested to stay away from them due to a likely-hood of the Mass Air sensor getting contaminated with oil residue? Sounds tome that the potential of better mileage and

Sounds like the fuel filter is a fairly simple replacement. I was wondering, since the fuel system is pressurized, how do you de-pressurize it? Need and special equipment?

I did replace the cabin air filter - now THAT was simple! The box looks like a neat place to put in an air freshener or perhaps keep a couple of beers cold!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Mann and also Mahle (available online) make very good filters.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Just replace it with another NAPA filter. Made by Wix anyway.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Please don't fall for the K&N marketing bull****, or similar types of filters. K&N "filter" is a misnomer, because it does not filter well at all. It will let in much more dirt without any measurable improvement over a paper type filter. If you need performance, get a larger cone filter with as fine filtering as a paper type, but make an enclosure to prevent it from being a hot air intake.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

video
of an old K&N air filter, clogged yet still full of holes.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

There are a ton of misconceptions about K&N air filters. As with all performance products there is an element Madison Avenue hype associated with it. There air filters DO let more air pass through by using a specialized high grade filtering material that ha larger openings then does it's competition. The down side is that because of that they also let in potentially more debris which over time to harm and engine, specially if the owner is lazy about oil changes. To offset this problem their filters are lightly coated with oil to better attract and capture this micron sized bits of crap. Still you don't get the filtering effect that you'd get with a much less porous filtering medium. That's the trade-off folks, just as it is in an extremely more apparent way when you employ velocity stacks which max -out the air flow but have zero filtering ability.

The upside however is that K&N filters can be cleaned (not pressure cleaned and not soap and water cleaned, with a cleanser that removes the old oil (and the trapped debris with it) leaving behind a nice clean filter element ready for a light re-oiling and several thousands more miles then a standard filter. That's why they essentially give you a lifetime guarantee. Having used them periodically over the last 30+/- years, including my current '04 XJ8 I can say that they are effective and worth the money if like your car you maintain them properly. Don't clean them every 8-10,000 miles and they'll probably be crap when and if you do. That's not there fault, it's yours.

There are no magic elixirs in a box, bag, or bottle that are going to transform anyone's street car into a 427 Cobra Daytona, but the judicious application of time proven and relatively inexpensive technologies will squeeze additional levels of overall performance at minimal cost.

By the way, my engine hasn't be negatively impacted by the use of a K&N nor would I expect it to as the various onboard computers are there specifically to alter the fuel mixture on the basis of load, temperature, throttle position, AND air volume and velocity otherwise the air/fuel mixtures would be highly erratic depending upon filter condition as a normal filter became progressively less capable of admitting the proper amount of air...whatever that may be. One side note that I haven't had time to fully investigate is the fact that subsequent to my installing the K&N my low speed acceleration was smoother and the 1st to 2nd upshift under HARD acceleration was faster and more positive. This could be due to my transmission finally adapting to my driving style, but who knows.

The following users liked this post:
sfsleepwalker (11-14-2014)