XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8

If I wanted to add the 2007 Vaden Plas (VDP) picnic tray tables to my regular 2007 XJ8, do I just need to find that specific 2007 year VDP seat backs for a switch out or could I select from other years as well such as 2006, 2008, or 2009 to accomplish this? Also, any ideas on where to start looking for the seat backs to purchase?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No clue as to how interchangeable they are, but I'm interested as my 04 VDP doesnt have trays but I'd like them.

As for where, ebay works, but coventry west would be faster than haunting ebay until you find something

Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the information, HhisIII. I have a couple of other projects I want to look into like replacing the center stack from the radio to the touch screen stack in addition to adding the rear entertainment system. I'm just in the pricing/availability phase as of now.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The trays come up on ebay, but if you card didn't have them originally, you would need more then just the tray - you'd need a new seat back as well to accommodate them, yes? I haven't seen seat backs on Ebay. My 2005 VDP has the trays already as it came with them.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rwh9056
If I wanted to add the 2007 Vaden Plas (VDP) picnic tray tables to my regular 2007 XJ8, do I just need to find that specific 2007 year VDP seat backs for a switch out or could I select from other years as well such as 2006, 2008, or 2009 to accomplish this? Also, any ideas on where to start looking for the seat backs to purchase?
Hi

I have a set ready to for on my car. Its a 2003 Super V8, and my tables\seat backs came from ebay. They look to be exactly the same shape. They were quite expensive - I paid around $450 for them! Unfortunately I think I may have been a bit done - looks like a couple of the locating tabs are missing at the top from the seat backs.

Here's a couple of pics. I've not yet had time to fit mine, although I understand its straight bolt on. I did try to remove the seatbacks but failed last time!!

Attached Thumbnails Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8-t2ec16rhjiye9qucoqgdbrm-o85iq60_57_zpsc2540820.jpg   Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8-t2ec16dhjiqe9quhufwbrm-oykhq60_57_zps31d48948.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks, BrentGardner, for the information. I suspected I'd have to purchase the entire "seat back". My next concern would be if the "seat backs" had to come from the exact same 2007 year model as my 2007 XJ8 or if the "seat backs" were interchangeable for the 2004 - 2009 model years. I know it's going to be challenge to not only find the seat backs I need for sale but also in the same color scheme.

From: BrentGardner - 834413; The trays come up on ebay, but if you card didn't have them originally, you would need more then just the tray - you'd need a new seat back as well to accommodate them, yes? I haven't seen seat backs on Ebay. My 2005 VDP has the trays already as it came with them.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

My Sovereign (= VDP ?) had them already fitted. Before I went to see it I had visions of the large fold-down tables that went the whole width of the front seat's backrest, the sort that luxury cars used to have years ago (well, decades to be honest), and when I saw the car I was rather taken aback by the small size of them (especially as someone had forked out £700 for them as an optional extra). My feeling is that they are a bit 'nominal'.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Thanks, Beavis, for the information. The pictures you included were very helpful. It does look as if the outer perimeter of the 2003 "seat back" looks similar to what the dimensions of my 2007 "seat back" would be. I'd find it hard to believe Jaguar changed the dimensions on the "seat backs" from year to year unless it was a major model change. And thank you for letting me know the price you paid. I was curious how much I'd be out for the parts. Personally, $450.00 is well worth the money for the "bling" effect it would impart.

If it's not too much trouble, as you install your trays, could you take a picture of what the tray portion looks like in the "down" position? The pictures I've seen in my research don't really convey well the color and texture of the tray top portion. It does not look like it is the wood texture effect as the back but more of a synthetic plastic looking material. If not, that's cool. You've been a tremendous help thus far. Good luck on your install.

From: Beavis - 834473; Hi, I have a set ready to for on my car. Its a 2003 Super V8, and my tables\seat backs came from ebay. They look to be exactly the same shape. They were quite expensive - I paid around $450 for them! Unfortunately I think I may have been a bit done - looks like a couple of the locating tabs are missing at the top from the seat backs.

Here's a couple of pics. I've not yet had time to fit mine, although I understand its straight bolt on. I did try to remove the seatbacks but failed last time!!

[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks, Partick the Cat, for the input. Yes, I agree, from the pictures I've seen of the "fold down tables" of the earlier Jaguars, the more current ones do not seem as sumptuous as the ones of bygone. Recently, I saw a tray on E-bay which looked like it had a gold banding in the wood grain. It also had a slot for a beverage, sort of a cup holder, if you will. Also, in the "drop down" mode, the table top is in the wood grain as well, unlike the 2007 tray table top I will be securing, which just looks like it's a plastic table top material.

I guess it is true as with most things these days, the "old world" charm is slowly slipping away in our modern world of technology. I feel pretty much the same way about my dream home, an old world 3 story Victorian gem with exquisite detail which is rare to find in today's craftsmanship. Sorry, I'll get down off my soap box now. Thanks, again, for the response.

From: Partick the Cat - 834829; My Sovereign (= VDP ?) had them already fitted. Before I went to see it I had visions of the large fold-down tables that went the whole width of the front seat's backrest, the sort that luxury cars used to have years ago (well, decades to be honest), and when I saw the car I was rather taken aback by the small size of them (especially as someone had forked out £700 for them as an optional extra). My feeling is that they are a bit 'nominal'.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

rwh - I can confirm that they are a sort of satin plastic finish on the other side of the trays - a shame, but like you I enjoy the bling of the large slab of veneer on the back of the seats. Exactly why I purchased them.

Unfortunately my car is off having some TLC for 3 weeks - (well actually a full sumptuous respray) otherwise I would have taken a photo for you.

Here's some information which may or may not confirm the situation. Taken from the Jag Parts Catalouge you'll see there is actually two different seat backs listed for the different model years. If this actually makes a difference I cant tell you.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8-pic2_zps09a578a1.jpg   Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8-pic1_zpsf802194e.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks, Beavis, for the diagram and the description. LOL, I will troll E-bay in an attempt to find the "seat backs" with the picnic trays. From the diagram, it looks rather straight forward to switch out the "seat backs" with relatively few screws. With that being said, I'll bribe my mechanic buddy to do it for me. I'm not really mechanically inclined.

From: Beavis; rwh - I can confirm that they are a sort of satin plastic finish on the other side of the trays - a shame, but like you I enjoy the bling of the large slab of veneer on the back of the seats. Exactly why I purchased them.

Unfortunately my car is off having some TLC for 3 weeks - (well actually a full sumptuous respray) otherwise I would have taken a photo for you.

Here's some information which may or may not confirm the situation. Taken from the Jag Parts Catalouge you'll see there is actually two different seat backs listed for the different model years. If this actually makes a difference I cant tell you.

[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

rhw - But at least the dreaded 'digital clock' has been kept at bay ('though I'm not sure about newer Tata-Jags XF etc) and X350s have clocks with hands ... first thing I noticed when I first test drove one.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Business Trays

Hi RWH9056,
I now own the business trays shown in this thread. I bought them from the member Beavis on e bay for my own XJ 358 but they wouldn't fit. I discovered they were for the XJ 350 version up to 2007.

My own car requires the same tray arrangement but needs the 2008 version of sub frame plus my seat backs are different. E mail me if you wish if you want to consider purchasing them. I have more photos if you wish to view. bentley675@hotmail.com

Regards
Steve

Old 08-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

So was it ever confirmed if x350 vdp seat backs would fit onto regular x350 seats?

Last edited by XJ8JR; 08-10-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
So was it ever confirmed if x350 can seat backs would fit onto regular x350 seats?
A seat back with a table will fit, but a table will not fit a non table seat back...

Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marque
A seat back with a table will fit, but a table will not fit a non table seat back...
So to confirm, if you remove the non-table seat back, it can be replaced with the vdp table seat back? Im a bit slow, so your wording is a bit unclear to me 😏

Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
So to confirm, if you remove the non-table seat back, it can be replaced with the vdp table seat back?
Correct.

The only problem is, finding the tables & seat back. I looked for closed to a yr, & finally went with a different color seat set & got them dyed. Those seats stayed online for about 9+ months before I finally grabbed them because I could not find ANYTHING else after looking all that time (everyday I might add)

Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marque
Correct.

The only problem is, finding the tables & seat back. I looked for closed to a yr, & finally went with a different color seat set & got them dyed. Those seats stayed online for about 9+ months before I finally grabbed them because I could not find ANYTHING else after looking all that time (everyday I might add)
So you've actually done it? They just bolt right on? May I ask how much you paid for them?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early XJ seat backs pre 2008

The new colour matched seat backs on the right from the US

New smaller sub frame on the right again from the US, note the colour matched leather that was part of the subframe

The tables Beavis posted pictures on in this thread ended up in my car less the black leather seat backs. The heart shaped tables were never altered by Jaguar but there was a few seat backs and sub frames over the years as the seat designs changed. My photos show the differences between two versions. I kept the tables but bought new subframes and seat backs from the US via Jaguar's world wide parts search division.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (08-11-2015)

Quick Reply: Looking to add 2007 VDP picnic trays to my XJ8