XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Moonroof cover/liner sag and rear power sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Moonroof cover/liner sag and rear power sunshade

I did a few searches looking for info here on this, without finding much. I've had the car home for a week now, and everything's been great, with the exception of the moonroof cover/liner and the power rear sunshade.

The moonroof cover was fine. I like to open and close the cover only, to let light into the cabin. Today, the liner material separated from the backing where it meets the rear of the moonroof cavity, for around 8 inches from the back forward. Have any of you attempted this repair yourselves? It looks as though the moonroof assy. would need to be dismantled. Is this true? I probably won't tackle the job, but might if it's not too complex. I just don't have the time. BUT, even if I don't tackle it, I want to know what the upholstery shop's going to do to give me an idea if they're trying to rake me or not.

On the power rear sunshade, when I depress the button, I can hear the motor actuate, but the shade never appears, indicating stripped gears, right? Anyone dealt with this repair before, at home/dealer/repair facility?

Other than those two issues, mechanically this car is in great shape. It's a surreal pleasure to drive in all respects. It BECKONS.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think upholstery shops would charge anywhere from $400 to $800 to tackle the entire headliner, including all A, B and C pillars and visor/sunroof covers.

Could be stripped gears, but sometimes the visor just gets stuck down when it hasn't been used in a while. If you pull up on it while someone pushes the button, it might work again.

The following users liked this post:
DeaconHull (08-28-2015)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM

thanks Alan. Keep in mind though that this is only the moonroof liner. the rest of the headliner is AOK.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think upholstery shops would charge anywhere from $400 to $800 to tackle the entire headliner, including all A, B and C pillars and visor/sunroof covers.

Could be stripped gears, but sometimes the visor just gets stuck down when it hasn't been used in a while. If you pull up on it while someone pushes the button, it might work again.
thanks for the sugg. on the sunshade. I will probably try your sugg. tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
thanks Alan. Keep in mind though that this is only the moonroof liner. the rest of the headliner is AOK.
Moonroof liner shoudl be pretty cheap, then. Maybe $100-200?

If your headliner isn't failing, it is only a matter of time.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Alan, I thought we all understood around here to NEVER speak out the possibility or likelihood of future mishap!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Who said anything about possibility? It's certain to fail!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM

But my car's DIFFERENT!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read on this forum that heat and inferior underlying material are the reasons for the headliner failure. Is this really the case? Mine has begun sagging and I'm ready to attempt a fix short of a re-do; can anyone suggest one with some degree of related success?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, this is the case. There is a layer of cheap foam that deteriorates and causes the fabric to detach.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Default Considering this job DIY

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to tackle this? It looks to me like one might have to pull down the entire headliner to expose enough of the moonroof cover to re-attach the liner. Any suggestions?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I had the same problem with my rear sunshade and the only problem with it was that it was stuck. It took the dealer five minutes to get it working again. The mechanic told me to use it at least once every month or it might get stuck again.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Westside upholstery in Houston does a lot with headliners, etc.
Maybe check with upholstery in your area. My headliner is sagging
and they told me arount $400 to $450

Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

BTW & FWIW You can maximise headliner life buy avoiding speeds over 10 mph with the window/windows down. Nothing separates cloth from old glue like buffeting air.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM

HA HA Tarheal. For now, my headliner is doing great. It's just the moonroof liner that has separated on my car. When I bought it, it was fine. I like to ride around with the moonroof cover open, to let more light into the car, especially as this car has dark tinted window. Well, the previous owner most likely hardly ever used the moonroof, so the thing was holding together, probably just barely. Now, I'm riding around with the moonroof cover open all the time, which hides the sag.

I'm still very interested to know if anyone knows of even the general procedure to get an unobstructed crack at the entire moonroof cover. I've looked at and thought a lot about how that might work. My conclusion so far is that one would need to lower the headliner. So, I've further concluded to just let this issue ride until if and when the headliner itself starts to sag, necessitating lowering the entire headliner.

Maybe this bump will bring a viewer that knows a thing or two about this.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
HA HA Tarheal. For now, my headliner is doing great. It's just the moonroof liner that has separated on my car. When I bought it, it was fine. I like to ride around with the moonroof cover open, to let more light into the car, especially as this car has dark tinted window. Well, the previous owner most likely hardly ever used the moonroof, so the thing was holding together, probably just barely. Now, I'm riding around with the moonroof cover open all the time, which hides the sag.

I'm still very interested to know if anyone knows of even the general procedure to get an unobstructed crack at the entire moonroof cover. I've looked at and thought a lot about how that might work. My conclusion so far is that one would need to lower the headliner. So, I've further concluded to just let this issue ride until if and when the headliner itself starts to sag, necessitating lowering the entire headliner.

Maybe this bump will bring a viewer that knows a thing or two about this.
Hi Trav....

Unfortunately the only safe way to get at the sunroof sliding shade is to remove the entire sunroof tray. Something will get broken if you don't.

There are also some suggestions for the rear power shade in this other thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issues-62530/

Hope you are enjoying your new Super.....

Cheers,

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks Steve. I'll start looking at how to remove and re-install the sunroof tray. This is the kind of work I've been good at in the past, as long as I know where the right place to start is.

On the sunshade, I haven't even worked on it yet. I believe it's just stuck and could use a little silicone lube. I've been following that other thread very closely indeed.

AND, I am most certainly enjoying my new XJR, thanks for the well-wishes.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Default I repaired the Roof Panel Shield Liner

Update: I thought and thought and thought about how an upholstery shop would tackle a simple reattachment of the "Roof Panel Shield" liner, and then I did that.
1. closed the shield and pulled the liner all the way "down", to where it was hanging down in front of my field of vision as I sat in the driver's seat, like a curtain, dangling vertically.
2. sprayed http://www.camie.com/images/pdfs/365.pdf, the best spray adhesive for such applications I've ever come across, on both the liner and the substrate of the underside of the shield.
3. As per the directions on the can of Camie 365, I let the tack set for around a minute or two.
4. I carefully lifted the liner material up onto the substrate and smoothed the wrinkles out.
5. I took a dull, flexible butter knife and slid the excess material up under the shield's edges all around. This process is difficult to explain, but anyone who's done this kind of work before will understand what I mean. (A butter knife is a VERY useful upholsterer's tool ).
6. I let it dry overnight and checked the work in the morning.
7. I set about removing the overspray from my car's high zoot interior. No, I didn't mask off or set up shielding. I didn't think I needed to. That was a mistake. Not a bad one, as I have the right materials to remove adhesive overspray (leather/vinyl cleaner and fingernails), but if I had to do it over again, I would lay down protection beforehand.

I will try to post pics later. The job isn't great. I may do it over again. There are some wrinkles in the liner. However, I may wait and get some new material, as the liner itself is somewhat discolored.

Edit: Hey, it's darned straight better than before. Before was keep it hidden by never closing the shield. The discoloration of the liner itself looks worse the the small wrinkles in my less than perfect work output.

There you have it. My first DIY project on the Gray Goose.

Last edited by SuperTrav; 04-25-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: content addition
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

My headliner is starting to sag as well. A few days ago I closed the sunroof cover and the lining detatched and dangled down from the front edge. I'm hiding it by keeping the cover open. It's been my experience in the past that regluing the liner to the old foam won't last very long at all.

I also had the same problem with the rear sunshade when I bought the car. Tugging on it while pushing the button got it working.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM

gmcgann, I hope I don't have similar experience with detachment. The adhesive I used SHOULD prevent that. It a very strong adhesive. It's performed very well for me with other applications over the years. I highly recommend it.

I will try to update this thread if I experience any issues. Again, though, I recommend you seek out Camie products, especially the 365, for this application. My studied opinion is that it should hold where others haven't. THat's my $.02.

Quick Reply: Moonroof cover/liner sag and rear power sunshade