XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault'

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air Suspension Fault'

Guys I'm sorry I haven't been active lately, been busy with moving and stuff, but now that I'm settled down I'm back to our super awesome forums, anyway I hope everyone's great! And missed me, joking lol. I've been okay but since I moved to Virginia I started getting the Air Suspension Fault n front left shock makes the strange noise so it's time to replace it for the second time, but the problem is there are no Jag dealers where I moved, if someone can help me I'll be really happy, I'm located in Charlottesville,VA now, let me know if you know anybody that can help me! Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to inform you guys that I've been a safe driver, in fact I only got one speeding ticket for the past 3 months so it shows how careful I've been!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to see you back

I presumed you traded in the Jag for other vehicle , may be I am wrong lol
Happy safe driving

Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Just take it to a good import shop, changing the air shock is an easy job. There is a dealer in Richmond (Browns), about an hour away if you are worried.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Good to see you back

I presumed you traded in the Jag for other vehicle , may be I am wrong lol
Happy safe driving
Lol never! I'll make my Jag an antique! Haha joking, thanks for your warm welcome, and Richmond is too far I'm looking for someone closer than that!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

If you can't find someone in Charlottesville, Richmond isn't that far. Replacing a shock is a "while you Wait' job to a cooperative shop.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
If you can't find someone in Charlottesville, Richmond isn't that far. Replacing a shock is a "while you Wait' job to a cooperative shop.
Yess but still, anyone can help me with getting the shocks at least?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
Yess but still, anyone can help me with getting the shocks at least?
You can mail order from Arnotts Inc at Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries if you're willing to have recond air-shocks with a life-time warranty, but be aware that some Jag dealers may not be willing to install for you though.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by klfong
You can mail order from Arnotts Inc at Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries if you're willing to have recond air-shocks with a life-time warranty, but be aware that some Jag dealers may not be
willing to install for you though.

Thanks so much! And I ll see if my friend can put them on for me.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks so much! And I ll see if my friend can put them on for me.
You may also want to check up on the intricacies of trying to put on new shocks without the help of a Jag workshop diagnostic computer system. This is with regards to the recalibration issues and how to minimise the requirements when the suspension is disturbed. There are many threads about this in this web-site.

It is a PITA if this is not done properly and you'd be forced to go back to someone who has the computer system to correct the ride height calibration issues (hahaha... don't ask me how I know this....)

Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Ugh maybe I better go to Richmond lol

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's going to be a keeper, you may want to consider converting to coil springs. It's expensive to do, but it will cut all the future costs as the air springs fail time and again and you continue to pay labor to have them replaced.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey ken , good to see you back

I think you also sell conversion kits ,I had got a newsletter about it

Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

It's been awhile. One of our parts guys went on to open a new service shop here in town so we've been trying to catch his stuff too.

We've finally have the kits. It sure took awhile to get it right. We even have a YouTube video for them: Jaguar XJ8 Air Suspension Conversion (pt 1) - YouTube

There are actually 3 parts to it. That's the link to the first one.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
If it's going to be a keeper, you may want to consider converting to coil springs. It's expensive to do, but it will cut all the future costs as the air springs fail time and again and you continue to pay labor to have them replaced.

Wow! That's amazing! How much would it cost me?! I just need the front ones n my friend can replace them! I am really interested

Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I've been following the deployment of these kits for the past few months. I have still not seen any follow up on how the modified cars ride or handle.

Have I missed it?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd love to see a follow-up as well. If there's not a big difference in how the car rides and handles, I will definitely consider the conversion when the time comes.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Grab Brutal for an unbiased opinion. I took our test car down to his dealership for a drive. He may be a little biased, I bought him lunch. I do think he will tell you the truth though. I haven't driven an air spring car, so I don't have a good field of reference. I've only been in converted models.

All four wheels must be done at the same time. It is pricey, but if you are going to keep the car, it's worth it.

The following users liked this post:
general specific (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! That's amazing! How much would it cost me?! I just need the front ones n my friend can replace them! I am really interested
Looks like the parts are around $2600.
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/jaguar-xj8-air-suspension-fault.html.

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Grab Brutal for an unbiased opinion. I took our test car down to his dealership for a drive. He may be a little biased, I bought him lunch. I do think he will tell you the truth though. I haven't driven an air spring car, so I don't have a good field of reference. I've only been in converted models.

All four wheels must be done at the same time. It is pricey, but if you are going to keep the car, it's worth it.
Thanks, Ken!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Uhhh $2600 plus labor.... guess I'll stick to stock suspensions lol

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I thought this might be food for thought on the Arnott Remanufactured:

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Forgive the intrusion here guys, but on another forum I belong to, a member inquired at Arnott Industries about what exactly is done to a completely rebuilt air shock. The answer from Arnott will shock you:

"Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers

This information was discussed in recent postings about OEM shocks but since the title didn't mention Arnott or their products, I think it's worthwhile to post separately. I was interested in Arnott's rebuilt rear OEM air ride shocks but the description in their catalog made my very curious due to what was not mentioned - anything about rebuilding the actual shock absorber. I called Arnott and got a sales person who really didn't know anything other than sales pitch stuff. After many question and getting nowhere, they took my tel number and said the engineer would call and he actualy did. Here's the facts - The OEM rear air shocks they state in their catalog and on their website are "COMPLETELY REBUILT OEM Air Ride shocks are actually well worn used shocks from other customer's cores with new air bags. They DO NOT rebuild the shock absorbers in any way and do not have the capability to do so. The engineer said "it is the luck of the draw" as to what you get as far as how used the shocks are - does anyone send in nearly new shocks as cores??? The OEM shocks they sell as completely rebuilt may have 50,000, 100,000 miles or more on them but do have new air bags. The engineer said they do a test when they get cores and do discard some of them but all they do is paint the exterior and replace the worn airbag with their new airbag. The worn out shock is what make the vehicle ride like crap, all the airbag does is keep the rear from sagging under load. Arnott also sells brand new Bilstein shocks for Escalades that do not work with the Electronic Ride Control but eliminate it instead and these probably ride very well. My feeling is it's pretty misleading to have everything in print say "Completely Rebuilt OEM shocks" and sell well worn used shocks as such. Make your own decisions."

Copied from original thread from that forum, **unedited**.

Maybe one of the members here can call Arnott Industries and see what they are are calling a "complete rebuild" entails. As I am not to familiar with the XJs air ride suspension.

Although I have purchased thier "completely rebuilt air shock" for another vehicle of ours (Cadillac), I am skeptical of the companies ad wording. Are you getting what you paid for(?), in our case $400.00.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Fault'