XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

NEW JAGUAR OWNER PISSED..Propritary? WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW JAGUAR OWNER PISSED..Propritary? WTH?

2008 XJ Base model 4.2 V-8. Whats the deal? "TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, CRAP". Can't I do my own car? A Cert.Mech. Buy's a car, that; "I'm not allowed to work on" ? Sorry I don't get it. Plus I don't do social nothing. Let alone have some, "Oh so called expert" laugh at my= ? Ignorance? I've seen it right here on this web site ! Do I have any options other than sell it? I want to work on it myself, or am I required to have disposable income, an; "TRUST SOMEONE W/ A WRENCH,AN THEN PAY THEM? RIGHT. I don't let no one touch my rides. I've Learned a lot, in college, hands on performance Chevrolet kind-of-guy, Jaguar talks to me like I'm something less than a person w/ a brain. Did I buy the wrong car? If so, some ones going to get a great car. I just want to keep it that way. Jaguar dealerships think their so cool an act like jerks, an there not willing to assist. Not wanting to help or discuss nothing. So wheres the books? That's all I want. I'm not an import. I can read English. Guess I'm not cool enough, I don't have that disposable income. Who in there right mind would take a 70K dollar car to a dealership an trust someone to wrench on it.
No smart A_ses, need to comment. I need to know what the conspiracy is all about... Questioning my ability? That to is BS..
AN THIS BS. W/ A "NON-SERVICEABLE AUTO TRANY? WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA IS THAT? CAUSE THAT TO IS UNACCEPTABLE! SO JUST LET IT BLOW UP FROM LACK OF ATTENTION, TO LINE JAGUAR'S POCKETS FOR THEIR; "BS. IDEAS"?
BECAUSE, I'M NOT CAPABLE? BS. (THAT'S WHAT I GET FROM THEM!) PLEASE, CAN SOME INTELLIGENT PERSON, CLUE ME IN. NO WISE GUYS CAUSE I'M NO SOCIAL NOTHING LET A LONE POST CRAP TO SERVICE MY RIDE? MAYBE I COULD GET BANK AT THE SCRAP YARD.(JOKE) HOW CAN YOU PROMOTE PAWNING OFF (SELLING) A CAR THAT THE MANUFACTURE JUST WANTS YOU TO BEND OVER AN HAND OVER THE CASH AN FIND OUT NOTHING, AN TRUST ?? IN THIS INNOVATIVE WORLD W/ CO.S NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING.
Maybe its me. I'm not into playing this game. Its hard enough to deal w/ the overinflated cost of parts an the dealers BS.("THEIR TO COOL FOR YOU, TYPE OF ATTITUDE, AN JUST BRING YOUR CASH.)
Signed, ONE PISSED OFF OWNER...THAT HATES PROPRIETARY ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WORK HARD TO GET SOMETHING, PAY CASH THEN GET DENIED ACCESS TO WHAT YOU OWN??
CONFUSED ! I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M WASTING MY TIME HERE.. NO ONE WILL EVEN TOUCH THIS PROBABLY CAUSE IT'S THE TRUTH, AN SAD!
WHERES THE WREAKED JAGUARS AT? NONE? RIGHT ! THIS IS RIDICULOUS SITUATION I GOT MYSELF INTO.
IS THERE RESOLUTION?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

TALK about ATTITUDES. I WOULD HOPE I WOULD NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH SUCH HIGHLY ERECTED DEFFENSIVE/OFFENSIVE ANGRY WALLS!!!!
YOUR CAR MAY HAVE BEEN AROUND 70K 10 YEARS AGO NOT ANY LONGER. THIS WHOLE WEBSITE IS ABOUT HELPING OWNERS WORK ON THEIR OWN CARS OR AT LEAST FIGURE WHAT MAY BE GOING ON INCLUDING GETTING HELP FROM CERTIFIED JAGUAR MASTER TECHS THAT WORK AT DEALERS LIKE MYSELF SOOOO. GREAT FIRST POST LETS SEE IF YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE MORE THAN A SELFISH RANT NOW

The following 9 users liked this post by Brutal:
Blairware (08-27-2018), Datsports (08-27-2018), FSULongM (01-23-2019), motorcarman (08-27-2018), o1xjr (08-27-2018), ParrotHead (08-27-2018), Partick the Cat (08-27-2018), rsa760041 (08-27-2018), sklimii (08-27-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Wink

Calm down;
We all seem to have the same love for the dealers as you;
Stop bitching and get busy!!!!!
The transmissions are set up with no dipstick, for a reason think about it.
These cars are sold partly for their SNOB APPEAL, to people with MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS!!!! SHEEP!!!!!!!!
So sell a car to a sheep, what good is it, if you don't FLEECE IT???
That is just the point, we buy great cars for ten cents on the dollar from used car dealers, or even less from their owners. We swap info, get a C D manual, or down load it from this site, then get busy
When were finished we have a beautiful car that we smile every time we drive them.SOOOO many parts are Ford, that they are almost affordable, & not all that hard to repair, if your half the wrench you claim to be!!!!!
Quit complaining and get busy, Think you'll grow to love your cat like the rest of us. We are a community among ourselves welcoming others to join in the exchange of knowledge, to keep these great cars alive, and running strong.

The following 3 users liked this post by Wingrider:
Blairware (08-27-2018), haggis95 (08-27-2018), rsa760041 (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

not sure what issues you are having but you're in the right place to get the assistance needed for you to be able to correct on your own. As Brutal said - this website is all about helping the owner work on the car themselves. Many before you have provided plenty of info and how to's - all easily accessible and free.

Here is a link to the How To's sticky at the top of this forum page https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20085/

Maybe you could tell us what the symptoms are, any error codes, etc and someone can provide guidance to help you resolve the issue or you could continue to rant and get frustrated even more.

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
Blairware (08-27-2018), Brutal (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Slow down Sparky

1) Where is Import Capitol?
2) Have you checked this site for the download of the XJ8/X350 service guide?
3) Do you have an OBD ll code reader? If not, a good one can be had for less than $100USD.
4) Is your CAPS key stuck on your computer? Don’t yell.
5) A Chevrolet is not a Jaguar.
6) Jaguar service departments are notoriously infamous for extremely high per hour rates.
7) Jaguar parts departments are in the business to make money. Lots of money. Seek out reputable third party sources.
8) Take a deep breath and please write coherently.
9) People here are willing to help, guide and provide advice. Please treat all with respect.

Originally Posted by WHY ME?
2008 XJ Base model 4.2 V-8. Whats the deal? "TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, CRAP". Can't I do my own car? A Cert.Mech. Buy's a car, that; "I'm not allowed to work on" ? Sorry I don't get it. Plus I don't do social nothing. Let alone have some, "Oh so called expert" laugh at my= ? Ignorance? I've seen it right here on this web site ! Do I have any options other than sell it? I want to work on it myself, or am I required to have disposable income, an; "TRUST SOMEONE W/ A WRENCH,AN THEN PAY THEM? RIGHT. I don't let no one touch my rides. I've Learned a lot, in college, hands on performance Chevrolet kind-of-guy, Jaguar talks to me like I'm something less than a person w/ a brain. Did I buy the wrong car? If so, some ones going to get a great car. I just want to keep it that way. Jaguar dealerships think their so cool an act like jerks, an there not willing to assist. Not wanting to help or discuss nothing. So wheres the books? That's all I want. I'm not an import. I can read English. Guess I'm not cool enough, I don't have that disposable income. Who in there right mind would take a 70K dollar car to a dealership an trust someone to wrench on it.
No smart A_ses, need to comment. I need to know what the conspiracy is all about... Questioning my ability? That to is BS..
AN THIS BS. W/ A "NON-SERVICEABLE AUTO TRANY? WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA IS THAT? CAUSE THAT TO IS UNACCEPTABLE! SO JUST LET IT BLOW UP FROM LACK OF ATTENTION, TO LINE JAGUAR'S POCKETS FOR THEIR; "BS. IDEAS"?
BECAUSE, I'M NOT CAPABLE? BS. (THAT'S WHAT I GET FROM THEM!) PLEASE, CAN SOME INTELLIGENT PERSON, CLUE ME IN. NO WISE GUYS CAUSE I'M NO SOCIAL NOTHING LET A LONE POST CRAP TO SERVICE MY RIDE? MAYBE I COULD GET BANK AT THE SCRAP YARD.(JOKE) HOW CAN YOU PROMOTE PAWNING OFF (SELLING) A CAR THAT THE MANUFACTURE JUST WANTS YOU TO BEND OVER AN HAND OVER THE CASH AN FIND OUT NOTHING, AN TRUST ?? IN THIS INNOVATIVE WORLD W/ CO.S NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING.
Maybe its me. I'm not into playing this game. Its hard enough to deal w/ the overinflated cost of parts an the dealers BS.("THEIR TO COOL FOR YOU, TYPE OF ATTITUDE, AN JUST BRING YOUR CASH.)
Signed, ONE PISSED OFF OWNER...THAT HATES PROPRIETARY ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WORK HARD TO GET SOMETHING, PAY CASH THEN GET DENIED ACCESS TO WHAT YOU OWN??
CONFUSED ! I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M WASTING MY TIME HERE.. NO ONE WILL EVEN TOUCH THIS PROBABLY CAUSE IT'S THE TRUTH, AN SAD!
WHERES THE WREAKED JAGUARS AT? NONE? RIGHT ! THIS IS RIDICULOUS SITUATION I GOT MYSELF INTO.
IS THERE RESOLUTION?
—————

The following 3 users liked this post by rsa760041:
Brutal (08-27-2018), Samilcar (08-20-2020), wwr (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Easy now. Jaguar's are not "The untouchables"

Yes - you can work on these cars yourself, and I encourage you to do so. I would NEVER be able to afford one of these if I had to rely on dealers to maintain and repair them. That's precisely why I have bought a fair number of "Modern" Jaguars over the years. a) They are quite reliable if you get one that has been taken reasonable care of, and b) They are reasonably easy to maintain and repair if you have the tools, the patience and the willingness to learn.

That said I have learned a hell of a lot right here on Jaguarforums, including things like a guide to replacing the thermostat housing with photos at every step of the way. If you get stuck, this is the place to ask. You may have to have some patience (That's twice I have used the word) because folks on here and mostly people with careers outside of car repair, but are Jaguar enthusiasts and are tremendous resources when you need help. Plus guys like Brutal who bring a pro's perspective (and passion) to the forums out of a desire to help the community. I could cite many examples of guys taking their own car apart to confirm something, doing research into the nightand pointing folks to the right documentation and even offering parts they have on hand for cost or for free to see a fellow jag enthusiast on his way again when stuck.

So sure, I get being angry at the cost of maintaining a Jaguar, particularly if you choose to rely on others to do the work. I like to note how much money I save doing jobs right here at home, with my car and my families cars. NO CAR is inexpensive or simple these days unless you educate yourself on them.

My daughter has a 17 year old Benz C-Class. Spark plug replacement (there's 12 of them on her 2.8 liter V6) is $600-700 dollars at the dealer, and requires unbolting engine mounts and jacking up the engine a bit. Sounds scary, but it was a piece of cake with Mercedes Forum and YouTube help. Took me about 2 hours with zero previous experience. Thankfully Iridium Plugs go 100k miles though. The only time I DON'T do my own work do so is when it involves tools I don't possess, such as a welder, or something I don't have have strong skills with, such as large scale paint work (I painted both of my cars grill surrounds body color, and will paint small parts.

Deep breath man. Take several in fact. You asked if you bought the wrong car. Not necessarily. But any modern car is the wrong car if you don't have the right attitude approaching it. My wife's Mazda Minivan has tested my patience more than the last 3 Jags I have owned. Pulling the intake manifold off and all the associated bits to do spark plug coils or the plugs themselves is no walk in the park, but it's manageable if you stay on task and take a break to yell at the cosmos for the unfairness of life.

It's all good bro.

Last edited by Blairware; 08-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blairware:
rsa760041 (08-27-2018), wwr (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Less rant (much less), more reading the FREE data.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

IS THERE RESOLUTION?
I'm sure there is, first thing you need to do is calm down and explain what your problem is.
That's what this site is all about helping people find solutions for problems with their cars.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Blairware
Thank You Sir, for your reassurance. But @ this age, an the volume of mech. knowledge I retain, is mind blowing. Preliminary judgement/opinion, might come to others as; I'm some kind of "Richard". Generally speaking, this proprietary BS. is unacceptable. I like the car but, little things. that need attention like; WTH is the delay in acceleration after stepping on pedal to take off normally? Is it the cable, that has slack? An these parts, "are way overpriced, an that boat is a slow chicken w/ the delivery of parts.( thought they were on a train.... (not plane).. ( AT LEAST THE LAST TWO FRIENDS I HAVE, THAT ARE STILL ALIVE, ONE IS A "CERT. PPG PAINTER, AT PENSKE HERE IN AZ". BELIEVE IT OR NOT, HE GETS A DISCOUNT ON PARTS, FROM THAT PLACE. HARD TO BELIEVE KNOWING PENSKE. ) "This helps more than you know.. So where are all the wreaked Jaguar's at?" Don't tell me they go to heaven either...! Please.
I thought that it might be a fly by wire car, as is the new Dodge's, etc. that require an aftermarket throttle controller??.
Also, The message center is giving me this BS. that the bonnet is open. Well all I know is that I can see, an it hasn't flew off yet. (joke).. See the simplest crap pisses me off, due to the lack of reference material. ( ? Where in the hell is the sensor for the "bonnet"?) Those "europee-in folks," say that, the bonnet is the name for front hood an rear trunk. In this case I think it's talking about the hood. I looked for pin type switch around the closure of hood. an the latches. The only other place I haven't looked is under dash by the release mechanism.
PROGRAMING THE REMOTE- How hard is it? an where is the instructions?

Old 08-27-2018, 01:55 PM

The hood switch is on the drives side hood latch. And most often just comes loose and you can snap back on once you removed the black plastic radiator cover. If it broken, yeah, youll have to replace it. Common(to me) failure although mine never has broken...yeah fly by wire, but the car like most cars now days are adaptive for both engine and transmission. Clearing adaptations with sdd and then driving the hell out of it relearn your style. Theres a step by step how to program the remote i believe in the first page of this x350 forum with step by step.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Ok we get that you are not an idiot, we get you are frustrated not sure what proprietary BS you are talking about.
Why not take a breath cut all the BS out your posts and just explain what you need help with, it'll work better that way believe me, that's if you can believe a " europee-in"

Old 08-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

Norri,
sounds like a women. (?moderator?) you work here on this web site? Are you from phoenix,az.? I went to school w/ a norri. (excuse me if your a male, no disrespect intended). "and calm down? " wth? The deal w/ no books, *stuck up folks, at dealerships ! Your saying calm down ? For what speaking the truth? I have to socialize, like facebutt? To find documented manufactures recommendations for repair?? Then what if the info. Is inferior then what?
By the way, "since your criticizing my truth", based on factual info. That's one reason i didn't want to deal w/ these issues, this unconventional/inconvenient way. (an trust. You can't even pay anyone that completes the work right, or has pride in there workmanship, these days). Let alone, be directed in a way that you have no clue if the info. Is correct or your going to get bent over. Seems as though, everyone is got this thing for cash. + they don't want to earn it. ?"what ever happen to books"? I'm that old looking for reference material in a book? Dam ! Why did i get left here by myself? I did everything right.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

So tell me, what type of mechanical education do you posses? Any degrees, to be lecturing me? You want to compare credentials?
Are you the professor ?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Banned

State factual truth an i'm being directed to conform? Just looking for a dam book.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Banned

See not to bark . But spark-ie. Now? I'll just do without. Can even be straight up w/ truth an get all this. Ok. I'll leave. If you-all had just a bit of class as did mr. John blair. This would an could be a rockin place. After i read his post i was understanding this web sites purpose. Now i get these folks bringing judgement cause i'm trying to adjust to a non conventional situation, that i knew nothing about now it's my loss thanks for your judgement of my intellect. Grow up an get real i was learning an thanking mr. Blair an i get this. I have to get gone thank you for letting me participate briefly. An no im not butt hurt im just upset that i get all this flak . So i'll leave you creative professors do your magic. I don't have patients for, "rude personal judgemental opinions".
Thanks to: Mr. Blair for explaining an understanding my frustrations an needs. Have a good day. You-all can go back to your social incriminating. I'm done here. I'll find a book. Hopefully i can talk w/ mr. Blair he has heart. La dr on.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

Thank you, brutal. I'm learning. Never to aged to learn. I wanted to say, i thank you for your information. You seem like a good person. I'm new to this jag. Deal. I don't know how this place operates. I overlooked it for awhile an saw people name calling an what not. I've always look for reference material to educate myself. I didn't mean any thing derogatory or bring personal judgement upon any one there. I don't roll that way. I was taught differently, from parents that cared. I respect folks. Feelings aren't on my shoulders, nor am i butt hurt ! I just wanted a bit of info sir. Thank you. I have to figure this out on my own now (figure that) i had no clue about entering my autos info. Nothing. Thanks for the help. Guess these folks w/ personal opinions, going for the throat must just be inconsiderate. Were all here together unfortunately. There seems to be a lot of people there, that must be better? Than you or i, an mr. Blair. I don't need the personal opinions/name calling crap. That i've been tagged with. I'm really lost now. Need to thank those others for calling me a piece of sh_t, happy their "so much better than i ". Does anyone see this except me? I initially didn't direct rudeness . But i got it. Then i found out this place might be the sh_t, (in a great way) i'm through explaining myself. I'm no dumb-***. I don't want any part of rude people. Oh yeah, if anyone doesn't know where i reside. Think about it. Come on down. This isn't any joke. Imports are driving the wrong way killing others. Plus, thinking its racist thing ! An this place truly sucks now, for it all. I lived here since 1961. Every day numerous (people??) are getting killed by cops. That alone and, (a ride i was trying to understand). I'm done. Your a good man brutal, excuse me for intruding. I don't think i fit in here having emotions, an truth. So, i thank you for your considerate class. Peace ! La dr on.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 03:46 PM

fyi there are NO books on repair anymore, nor wiring diagrams. everything is online and small print. Yeah I need reading glasses now at 56. I used to look up the info in wiring diagram manuals faster than most techs could get online. Jaguar shop manuals LOL that funny right there. Over the past few years they have been building but I am always giving them 1 star for ratings with info like "wanna see a great shop manual? Go get a Nissan, Honda Toyota etc manual. They can take you from inexperienced all the way through building a engine to diagnosing all check engine lights. My analogy on work shop manuals is this.
I need to see how to take out a ac compressor on a newer Jaguar. Go to the manual and it shows the engine removed for clarity(3d computer graphic) remove these 3 bolts, lines and electrical connector. To assemble reverse removal procedure. ARE YOU SERIOUSE!!!! I CAN FIGURE THAT OUT. I WANT TO KNOW HOW THE HELL YOU GET OUT OF THE CAR? REMOVE THE AIR CLEANER BOX AND TUBES AND PULL OUT THE TOP, LOWER THE SUBFRAME AND OUT THE BOTTOM? GEEZ ITS NO WONDER WE DONT HAVE GOOD TIME ESTIMATES FOR REPAIRS.. ... SEE I LIKE CAPS TOO LOL and yes that crap still pisses me off. We even have a popular thread on here about LITTLE THINGS THAT **** YOU OFF THAT SHOULDNT...

Last edited by Brutal; 08-27-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Smile

Good luck finding that 6,384 page shop manual. I do understand his frustration, i'm old school myself, & never heard of such a thing B4 these cars. W T F no shop manual available????? Was my first response, then after getting the disk, seeing how many pages were involved, understood the reason why. Then saw the same copy here, the disk was not very much, so no big loss, hope he finds his copy.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

WOW...............I don't think I want to get involved with this.

(chip-on-the-shoulder?)

bob

The following users liked this post:
Samilcar (08-20-2020)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Just looking for a dam book.
As I mentioned it's on here FREE. It's up to you to use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
rsa760041 (08-28-2018), Samilcar (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: NEW JAGUAR OWNER PISSED..Propritary? WTH?