XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

NEWBIE Parking Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE Parking Brake Fault

Hey guys new to the forum. I recently got my hands on a 2004 Jaguar XJR for a great deal. A big part of why I got a good deal on the XJR is because I was told it needs a new Electronic Parking Brake Actuator/Motor. The EPB is in the unengaged position so luckily I am able to drive around no problem. The only thing is I would be concerned about parking up or downhill as this may damage whatever it is that holds the car in place inside the transmission. As soon as I start the car a "Parking Brake Fault" message appears. the EPB does nothing when I try to pull the switch up or push the switch down. Now I plan on replacing the EPB actuator/Motor unit but am in the process of trying to determine if indeed that is what is causing the issue.

So what I have done is unplugged the EPB actuator 4 wire plug bypassing the EPB module located inside the trunk passenger side. I then went ahead and supplied power directly to the EPB motor using the car trunk battery and as soon as I touch the two wires to positive and negative there is a rapid loud clicking/ratcheting sound that continues nonstop until I disconnect the power to the motor. Kind of sounds like a motor gear skipping teeth. When I reconnect the EPB motor 4wire plug back into the EPB Module and get back into my car and start it, the message "Parking Brake Fault" is gone but when I go to engage the EPB switch I hear the loud clicking/ratcheting sound again but it stops after like 3 seconds and then I get the "Parking Brake Fault" message again. At this point trying the engage disengage the EPB switch does nothing and back to square one.

So Im thinking my EPB switch, EPB Module, EPB Fuse, and wiring are all good since I know that there is power getting to the motor. I believe whats happening is either there is a malfunction inside the EPB motor or perhaps the EPB cables are maybe stuck somewhere in between where it comes out of the EPB motor and where it attached to the calipers on both sides?

I just don't want to replace the EPB motor if that's not the problem especially since it requires lowering the rear subframe. Has anyone had this issue before? Is there anything else I should check? Anyone had this loud clicking/ratcheting sound before? Any possible binding issues with the brake cables? Anyone have a known bad EPB motor? If so how did you determine it was bad?

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I apologise for appearing to treat you like a simpleton (not my intention) but did you try putting your foot on the footbrake and at the same time pulling the parking brake lever upwards - to see if that cleared the fault message?

Also, have you got any DTC Codes?

Last edited by EsRay; 12-08-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you plug it all back together you could read the codes in its module to see what it sees the fault is. First you may need to clear its codes as you may have caused many more by your actions, then see which come back.

The following users liked this post:
englishdan (04-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The year of the car means the EPB motor and cable assembly is likely knackered, and the noise when power is supplied indicates that may well be the case. Unfortunately the EPB motor assembly is really buried up underneath the car and is a very labour-intensive job to replace.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys

esray - yes i did try that. It was the first thing i tried but no luck with that. As for the codes at the moment i only have a generic code reader so i dont have the abilility to pull epb specific codes.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Jagv8 - i might look into getting a jaguar specific code reader eventually. I do believe this may be an issue with the epb motor.

Fraser mitchell - my thought exactly. Im going to go ahead and lift the xjr up and pinpoint where exactly the clicking/ratcheting noise is coming from. I’ll keep you guys posted

Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I have the same problem, clickety noise, park brake fault, no DTCs. Much trouble shooting done already. Did you ever manage a solution?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had same issue. Park brake engaged and disengaged normally, clickety noise when disengaging, no DTC, Park Beake Fault message. Scanning the EPB module, test 7 showed Lever Position failure.

Changed the Actuator, issue remained (even the clicking noise) until I disconnected the battery and shorted +- cables (disconnected of course). I had disconnected the battery with the original actuator and that didn't help before so it all indicates that the actuator was the problem.

I removed the plastic cover of the old actuator and noticed that the lever was unscrewed from the warm screw so may be that was the issue although it was engaging, so not sure... Resistance of the hall effect sensor was the same in old and new actuators.

To replace the actuator I decided to cut on the spare wheel well. Not the best option but didnt want to mess with the rear sub frame.

The clickety noise is not indication of a faulty EPB actuator as my new one did it until I reset it through battery disconnection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Martin Geler; 07-29-2020 at 08:58 PM.