XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Newbie Seeking Counsel on X350 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Seeking Counsel on X350 Purchase

Greetings:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I came across an X350 from 2004 based XJ8 today. In short, I have a list of items that will need work on the car from a certified Jag mechanic and am wondering which items require top priority besides the obvious ones. Also, coming from an old Mercedes, I have some idea of costs, just not how much- whatever guestimates you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I value your 2nd opinion:

- cooling system needs attention ( don't exactly know what this means or how to quantify.)
- Upper hose walking off radiator; lower hose soft and swelling at thermostat, plastic coolant tank fitting loose; 1 EGR coolant hose swelling.
- fuel filter needs replacement; ( i understand this is not insignificant?)
- rear brakes starting to hit metal ( how much to do rear brakes in bay area reasonably costs?)
- a possible air leak in suspension. air suspension warning light was on but not during test drive
- found several codes for engine management and seat heater faults ( where are the seat heaters in these things- I could not locate.)
- miss -fire codes were found for all cylinders ( that can't be good)
- probably also needs an oil change and ac pollen and engine filter change.
- brake fluid needs replacement and front brakes have 25% remaining.

Car is otherwise extremely clean- no clear coat peals, no dents, nary a ding.
Interior is near pristine other than what appears to be mold/yellowy coloring around sunroof headliner areas. ( water damage I suspect). 81k mileage. Am going to call the mechanic who did the actual inspection to get his quotes tomorrow. Am a working stiff with little time for petrol pursuits so will have to use a shop for car work. For those of you in the Bay Area, I'd be grateful for any shop recommendations as well; ideally in the East or South Bay.

Should I walk or run away? Seller is willing to part below KBB at $5k. ( I still cannot get over the depreciation on these cars. '94 Mercedes go for this money with lesser technology and twice the mileage. I hope the low price to entry is not a sucker's bait.) Your perspective is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Get a quote first unless you can do the work yourself it sounds like it could be a money pit

Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

From what you describe this car has not been serviced for a while. Any records? How many previous owners?
Does not look good....unless you can get it for a VERY low price and know a good non-dealer Jag mechanic since you will not do the work yourself.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Pass

Originally Posted by milestogo
Greetings:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I came across an X350 from 2004 based XJ8 today. In short, I have a list of items that will need work on the car from a certified Jag mechanic and am wondering which items require top priority besides the obvious ones. Also, coming from an old Mercedes, I have some idea of costs, just not how much- whatever guestimates you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I value your 2nd opinion:

- cooling system needs attention ( don't exactly know what this means or how to quantify.)
- Upper hose walking off radiator; lower hose soft and swelling at thermostat, plastic coolant tank fitting loose; 1 EGR coolant hose swelling.
- fuel filter needs replacement; ( i understand this is not insignificant?)
- rear brakes starting to hit metal ( how much to do rear brakes in bay area reasonably costs?)
- a possible air leak in suspension. air suspension warning light was on but not during test drive
- found several codes for engine management and seat heater faults ( where are the seat heaters in these things- I could not locate.)
- miss -fire codes were found for all cylinders ( that can't be good)
- probably also needs an oil change and ac pollen and engine filter change.
- brake fluid needs replacement and front brakes have 25% remaining.

Car is otherwise extremely clean- no clear coat peals, no dents, nary a ding.
Interior is near pristine other than what appears to be mold/yellowy coloring around sunroof headliner areas. ( water damage I suspect). 81k mileage. Am going to call the mechanic who did the actual inspection to get his quotes tomorrow. Am a working stiff with little time for petrol pursuits so will have to use a shop for car work. For those of you in the Bay Area, I'd be grateful for any shop recommendations as well; ideally in the East or South Bay.

Should I walk or run away? Seller is willing to part below KBB at $5k. ( I still cannot get over the depreciation on these cars. '94 Mercedes go for this money with lesser technology and twice the mileage. I hope the low price to entry is not a sucker's bait.) Your perspective is appreciated.
To me 5K is right where a nice one should be.
Clear codes, drive a few miles and check again. This may be a weak battery issues.
The cooling system is normal maintenance. Those hoses are 12 years old. The fuel filter is easy and will outlast the car once changed.
Also get it on a rack and look at the the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and other rubbers. Ford specified rubber that falls apart. The same vintage T-Birds and Mercury LS use a lot of the same parts and suffer the same issue. A friend had a LS and I told him how my XJR suspension had catastrophic bushing failure and every boot was disintegrated. Told him I purchased new Mercury control arms to replace. He took the LS to get an alignment, saw the same issue and sold the car.
The control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, brakes, and rotors will run you another 5k if you pay someone to do it.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Besides the obvious repairs, the hidden gremlins can be found in the suspension and tranny. You can easily go thru $10k of repairs. As the saying goes, the most expensive Jaguar is a pre owned one that is cheap.
Run do not walk away from this one.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Sorry, I have to agree with mberman. Run, run away fast. This one is a money pit. Be patient, they are out there. 10K in repairs may be a low expectation for this one. Most likely the codes were gone when you tested it because they were cleared prior to the drive (suspension codes after started) All those codes/faults WILL be back, but after purchased. The codes and faults you listed will put you in the poor house. It looks like this car was not maintained AT ALL. Jaguars do not take to this well, unlike Mercs, this Jag may never make it back.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone who responded. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I would not jump into this vehicle without more info. Air suspension can be costly to repair in addition to the other issues. I would want to check out the front suspension bushings and control arms in addition to the other discussed items

RyeJag

Old 06-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

I do *ALL* the work myself and it is still a money pit. Price is right but some of the problems you are describing are scary - especially the air suspension part. That alone will cost you an arm and a leg.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by milestogo
For those of you in the Bay Area, I'd be grateful for any shop recommendations as well; ideally in the East or South Bay.
I can recommend Jaguar Purrformance in Los Gatos, talk to Rick the owner.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mate,

I don't post too often either, but I think you've made a wise choice by seeking council. I've just come through cooling systems problems on my own X350 XJR.

Based on what you are describing, I would walk away. Don't even think twice about it.

Your bullet points 1,2,5 and 6 are enough on their own to make the car an unnecessary risk. All together, why put yourself through it!

The car shows all the signs of a dog.