XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

P050B and stall after ACM installation.(Resolved)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Unhappy P050B and stall after ACM installation.(Resolved)

Yes I installed my audio connectivity module (it works as expected) but I now have idle issues and a check engine light with P050B error code. The idle surges between 500 and 800 rpm. I took it for a drive and it stalled when I came to a stop.

It appears that there is a TSB (30313) for this, I could only find summaries.
Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Okay so I have the best indie mechanic ever (even though he is 800 miles away)...called him after I posted and he answered right away, on a Sunday! Per the TSB the ECM needs to be reflashed (this appears to be unrelated directly to the ACM install but apparently this may have something to do with disconnecting the battery).

So in the meantime he gave me the following procedure. I am sure this is in the forum somewhere but I had a tough time searching.

1. Make sure the A/C is off.
2. Hard reset - disconnect both battery terminals hold them together for 15-20 sec. reconnect the positive, then as cleanly and smoothly as possible connect the negative.
3. Start the car with your foot off the brake (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING) - at this point the car was still idling wildly, continue to let it run for 2 minutes, remakebly the idle smooths out. Again, do not touch anything!
4. When the idle stabalize at a normal rpm reset the parking brake (and windows)
5. Switch the A/C on and do not adjust anything, let it run for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Test drive - everything checked out fine. and so far so good (fingers crossed/knock wood)

I hope the solution to my little episode will help others, I was in a bit if a panic, to put it mildly.

Last edited by MarcB; 06-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MarcB:
meirion1 (06-02-2013), n8ertot (11-09-2015), Petz (05-17-2023), psg (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Yep...... freaked me out the first time I disconnected the battery. As you say just leave it and it eventually sorts itself out. Does your XK not do the same thing if you disconnect the battery ? My '00 XJR used to also do something weird when you reconnected the battery, so I wasn't completely surprised when the '06 did weird stuff too.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That will certainly make you leery of disconnecting the battery. Almost sounds like something you would expect from a BMW

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Any impressions about the ACM, in regards to installation or performance? I hope to move forward with the same in the next couple of weeks so I am curious if you are happy with it. Also, where did you source the module?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sarc
Yep...... freaked me out the first time I disconnected the battery. As you say just leave it and it eventually sorts itself out. Does your XK not do the same thing if you disconnect the battery ? My '00 XJR used to also do something weird when you reconnected the battery, so I wasn't completely surprised when the '06 did weird stuff too.
Totally freaked me out and no, the XK (X100) does not have any ECM issues when you disconnect the battery. Everything is fine as I witnessed on my 730 mi drive to Scottsdale, AZ today. No issues and averaged 24.5 mpg, pretty happy with that.

Originally Posted by HJ808
That will certainly make you leery of disconnecting the battery. Almost sounds like something you would expect from a BMW

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Any impressions about the ACM, in regards to installation or performance? I hope to move forward with the same in the next couple of weeks so I am curious if you are happy with it. Also, where did you source the module?
Installation was straight forward but the glovebox kicked my a**. The bottom line: the ACM iPod connection sounds fantastic. I spent some time and re categorized my music into 5 playlists so I could optimize the limited functionality. As connectivity goes it is the best, as an interactive interface it sucks. As a bonus I rewired the factory sat radio through the ACM's aux input in lieu of the FM modulator. I sourced my ACM from Jaguar of Livermore. FYI A few jaguar dealers confirmed it was available but the price is very hefty, from what i can gather it was double of what people paid just 18 months ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the pitfalls with the glovebox?

I assume that the ACM is the once again available c2c40513. Does it appear that the ACM, now that it has been "re-released" after being unavailable for some period, already has the newest Dension firmware as described in this post from another thread?

jahummer
Veteran Member
2008 Jaguar XK-Series

My Garage

The color change you mention has nothing to do with the ACM. The 2010 NAV disc has a firmware update for the head unit that changed the background color of the home screen and the logo a well as some minor function changes.

The ACM DB2 update is indeed through the USB using a thumb drive.

Download the DB2 version here:

http://support.dension.com/support-c...root=12&id=110

The update is not from/for Jaguar, rather for the Gateway 500 main processor which is also used in other vehicles from Mercedes, BMW, etc. The Audio screen will change slightly with changed functionality of the CD 1-4 buttons and button 6. I have an old iPod, but I have not used it in a while, but I can tell you with the iPhone 4 as well as the iPod touch you can now use the touch screen as well as any music apps, which I was unable to before the update.

This may answer your question with your iPod:
1. Gateway UI (Controls via head unit)
Select disc 6, track 3 and then press and hold FF button for approx. 2-3 seconds.

2. iPod UI mode: (Controls via iPod's touchwheel)
Select disc 6, track 2 and then press and hold FF button for approx. 2-3 seconds.
_

Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB
Okay so I have the best indie mechanic ever (even though he is 800 miles away)...called him after I posted and he answered right away, on a Sunday! Per the TSB the ECM needs to be reflashed (this appears to be unrelated directly to the ACM install but apparently this may have something to do with disconnecting the battery).

So in the meantime he gave me the following procedure. I am sure this is in the forum somewhere but I had a tough time searching.

2. Hard reset - disconnect both battery terminals hold them together for 15-20 sec. reconnect the positive, then as cleanly and smoothly as possible connect the negative.
3. Start the car with your foot off the brake (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING) - at this point the car was still idling wildly, continue to let it run for 2 minutes, remakebly the idle smooths out. Again, do not touch anything!
4. When the idle stabalize at a normal rpm reset the parking brake (and windows)
5. Switch the A/C on and do not adjust anything, let it run for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Test drive - everything checked out fine. and so far so good (fingers crossed/knock wood)

I hope the solution to my little episode will help others, I was in a bit if a panic, to put it mildly.
It is pretty normal for "learned" values to be lost when battery is disconnected, depending upon how far these are from the default will determine the possible side effects, maybe none maybe lots but all pretty normal and will occur on most cars, my old Pug 406 used to idle erraticley after battery disconnect, took around a week to settle, my old C class the gearbox was the biggest sufferer, taking around 2 months and a trip to mainland Europe to sort itself out, the Jag, so far doesn't seem to falter even after a long disconnect.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM

UPDATE: According to my indie (who has the car now) the behavior is not normal and the reflash as prescribed in TSB 30313 is the cure.

As far as pitfalls of the glovebox: It was just physically difficult to remove and reinstall.

It does have the new 1.9 firmware but I do not have control from the iPod. I have not had a chance to reset it nor did I see the instructions about the iPod UI to vehicle GUI switch. I will check it out when I get the car back today.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB

So this is the way to deal with the P050B code? What do you mean by 'reset the windows'?

Is there an official source for this procedure?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HJ808
Disconnecting the battery on my former BMW never bothered me. What bothered me was exposing it to air or gravity because that's when problems occurred the most.

Last edited by Zazzy; 12-14-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by a4500435
What do you mean by 'reset the windows'
Probably to restore one-touch operation. Open fully, hold a couple of seconds (may hear relay click). Close fully, same hold (and click).

Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by a4500435
So this is the way to deal with the P050B code? What do you mean by 'reset the windows'?

Is there an official source for this procedure?
No, this the "work around". The official way to deal with it is Technical Service Bulletin: XJ303-13 ( I have attached that particular TSB for you as a sample but please below for more information about "official sources"). And, as JagV8 stated, reset the windows refers to restoring up and down memory. Technically it is a procedure Jaguar refers to as "Door Window Motor Initialization" in their workshop manuals.

For official sources I suggest you check out http://www.jagdocs.com/. I am not affiliated in any way other than being a customer, but you can purchase workshop manuals, TSBs and other official documents relatively inexpensively.

Attached Files