XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parkbrake fault xj8x350

Old 01-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parkbrake fault xj8x350

I'm still fighting a parkbrake fault. After reading the last information on OBD II scanner/readers on this forum, I purchased a Foxwell NT520 Pro Multi-System Scanner with 1 Free Car Brand Software+OBD NT510 Firmware Updated Version Free Update Lifetime <http://www.FOXWELLtool.com/ ...>. I'm hoping to get more complete scanner data to make it easier to move forward. I've included some photos of the right rear brakes and suspension. I've circled a couple of areas where I think I need replacement parts. I'm hoping these can be done without removing anything else, and without changing the allignment. Lastly, I shot the first photo labeled Right Rear, the wire coupling, full of brake cleaner. I flushed it out with electric parts cleaner, but didn't get it dry enough before I put it back together and now have an ABS light. If you see anything else I need to visit while I'm here. My Foxwell scanner should be shipped any day. Thanks, Streamsaver

Old 01-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

The sensor is the Right Rear photo is indeed one of the ABS wheel sensors. You could try cleaning and drying it again but you may have already messed it up. If it's just the sensor, then it should be easy to replace.

The second circled item is the sway bar link, which is pretty easy and cheap to replace and should not affect your alignment.

I have no idea what the third item is, the ziptied black box. My old XJ didn't have that.

As for the Parking Brake Fault, try to disconnecting the parking brake module in the trunk, clean the connectors with electronics cleaner, wait til they dry, then reconnect. That solved a Parking Brake Fault I once had.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parkbrake fault xj8x350

XJ8JR Thanks. I'm ordering new sway bar links today. I'll try a 2nd repair on the ABS. I just received my Foxwell 520 and it's updating. I'll shoot a photo when I take the zip-tied leather pouch off. I've tried all the remedies for the parkbrake fault except attaching the test leads to the green and red wires and running them directly from the battery. I'll try that this weekend if the 520 doesn't direct me to a specific error. streamsaver

Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll tell you the tale of my little darling's EPB and you can judge if any of this is worth trying.

The EPB decided to fail in the engaged mode.
Whilst my wife was using the car
In a supermarket carpark miles from home
In the dark
When it was raining.

So I got it recovered home, read all the threads on the EPB (on the UK Forum) and set to work the next morning. I made up a pair of test leads rather than mess about back probing the plug with a pair of random wires.
I released the EPB by removing the plug and powering the motor directly. Re-assembled and all was well for all of one day.

Cue repeated 'locked on' failures and me becoming quite adept at accessing the black box and powering the motor directly. I was rather pleased I had made up those leads!

More in hope and desperation than any logical fault finding process I removed the battery and put it on charge on the bench.

It's an elderly Jaguar so when it doubt blame the battery.

I disconnected the EPB control box and removed it completely.
I left the battery charging and the box 'resting' for 24 hours or so.
Used a slave battery to power the EPB motor directly on-off many times.

No other electrical components were powered up.

Reconnected battery. Refitted the black box and plugged it in. Searched for and eventually found the safe place I had written down the PIN code, started the car and followed the reset instructions on the dashboard.

I have had no repeat of the problem for the last month.

I now hold my breath as my wife is out with the car all day!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

What was the PIN for?

Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The 4 digit PIN was for the all the functions controlled by the centre screen - radio, SatNav, telephone, air conditioning etc.

It wasn't with the car when I bought it. In the past I hadn't checked the handbooks for its presence before disconnecting the battery. It became a saga finding a dealer who would look it up for me.

I then wrote it down in large red letters in the 'Handbook'. Except it turned out I had written it in the Service Book.

EPB behaved all day yesterday much to my relief.

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (01-11-2019)