XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking assist back up speaker replacment 2004 xjr

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Parking assist back up speaker replacment 2004 xjr

I have had lots of running around and chasing partial information regarding why my parking assist didn't work. Background on my car, was it was a salvage and unbeknownst to me the front end had the damage.When the bumper was replaced they didn't replace it with the parking sensors in it. There are 4 on the front and or the rear. I replaced the parking module( back left of the trunk tire well if I recall) with another one that was an 8 circuit as that was there and I presumed didn't work. What was there was an 8 circuit( as the car originally had front and back parking assist) and if you don't have the front inputs the module doesn't work. Had also heard the speaker goes out. My car has a touchscreen but this parking assist(must have been a relatively new automotive advancement in 2004) only has an audible 2" speaker, which is located on the top of the deck lid, behind the headrests in the back seat.

The rear seat bottom has to be removed first. It has 4 sort of vertical "u" shaped pieces of metal that are held in place by a plastic fastener that is mounted to the interior body. You have to feel under the front bottom edge of the seat to find these little levers that are spring loaded, and push them back and pull the seat up. You work from one side of the car to the other. Best to have the front seats all the way forward.Using a mirror and flashlight to see where they are, is helpful.

The seat bottom( toward the rear of the car) hooks under a round metal rail so you lift the front and then push down in the back. There are two electrical connectors on each side of the seat that you have to unplug and then you can remove the portion of the rear seat that you sit on.

Push the headrests down in to their bottommost position. The next step is to slide the seatbelts( one on each side) to the outside of the vertical portion of the back seat. At the base of this seat, which has pivot points, there are two nylon straps that you have to pull simultaneously and the vertical seat folds forward. You can leave it in or take it out. In retrospect, it is probably easier to remove it completely from the car because of the following steps.

Next is to pry off the side quarter panels that cover the rear pillar and abut the rear deck lit. One has to feel and peel the door moulding to get the bottom edge and start pulling that out. Once you get that edge out, you'll find it will pop out a bit and then, you'll find a black plastic connector that slides into a groove on this quarter panel cover. Use a long screwdriver to slide that downward and the panel can be slid down the seatbelt to the base area of the seat.

Under the front edge of this parcel shelf panel are 3 push in plastic screw fasteners. Best to use a flashlight to see where they are. Unscrew and pull these out completely. There are 3 plastic trim pieces( bezel )around the child restraint( seatbelt receiver like) that need to be pulled out. They may be brittle as the sun beats on them. They are best extracted with either a small shaft straight blade screwdriver or one of those small hook tools and you have to push the plastic tabs in towards the center. I started at the top and got it to pull up a bit, then did each side.

Next is to lift the parcel shelf out- with the seat totally out you could squat on the rear seat area and lift it out, but I had to go to one side and then the other to work it out then set it on the bottom, at the base of the seat.

Next you will find the parking back up assist speaker on the passenger side of the rear deck lid. You'll need to pry up two plastic rivet pins( reusable) and an electrical connector. Swap out and install in reverse.

I needed long needle nose pliers to put that black strap connector onto the quarter panel covers. Install the rear vertical seat portion making sure to have the seatbelts on the front of the seat before you latch it in otherwise the get hidden behind.

Once I figured out the whole job, it is probably about 30 minutes to an hours work. Back up the car and hear it beep. The speaker is about $70 at a dealer and probably half that in ebay .

I will post photos later.

The following users liked this post:
cooldood (02-06-2023)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default parking assist photos for 2004 xjr

Originally Posted by Grio

I have had lots of running around and chasing partial information regarding why my parking assist didn't work. Background on my car, was that it was a salvage and unbeknownst to me, the front end had the damage. When the bumper was replaced they didn't replace it with one that had the parking sensors in it. There are 4 sensors on the front and or the rear. I replaced the parking module( back left of the trunk tire well if I recall) with another one that was an 8 circuit as that was original to the car and I presumed didn't work. The car originally had front and back parking assist, and if you don't have the front inputs the module doesn't work. Had also heard the speaker goes out. My car has a touchscreen but this parking assist(must have been a relatively new automotive advancement in 2004) only has an audible 2" speaker, which is located on the top of the deck lid, behind the headrests in the back seat, passenger side.

The rear seat bottom has to be removed first. It has 4 sort of vertical "u" shaped pieces of metal on the bottom of the seat that are held in place by a plastic fastener that is mounted to the interior body. You have to feel under the front bottom edge of the seat to find these little levers that are spring loaded, and push them back and pull the seat up. You work from one side of the car to the other. Best to have the front seats all the way forward.Using a mirror and flashlight to see where they are, is helpful.

The seat bottom( toward the rear of the car) hooks under a round metal rail so you lift the front and then push down in the back. There are two electrical connectors on each side of the seat that you have to unplug and then you can remove the portion of the rear seat that you sit on. If you don't have heated seats, maybe you won't.

Push the headrests down to their bottom most position. The next step is to slide the seat belts( one on each side) to the outside of the vertical portion of the back seat. At the base of this seat, which has pivot points, there are two nylon straps that you have to pull simultaneously and the vertical seat folds forward. You can leave it in or take it out. In retrospect, it is probably easier to remove it completely from the car because of the following steps. You may have to unbolt the seat belts though.

Next is to pry off the trim panels that cover the rear pillar and abut the parcel shelf. One has to feel and peel the door moulding to get the bottom edge and start pulling that out. Once you get that edge out, you'll find it will pop out a bit and then, you'll find a black plastic connector that slides into a groove on this pillar panel trim cover. Use a long screwdriver to slide that downward and the panel can be slid down the seat belt to the base area of the seat.

Under the front edge of this parcel shelf panel are 3 push in plastic screw fasteners. Best to use a flashlight to see where they are. Unscrew and pull these out completely. There are 3 plastic trim pieces( bezel )around the child restraint( seatbelt receiver like) that need to be pulled out. They may be brittle as the sun beats on them. They are best extracted with either a small shaft straight blade screwdriver or one of those small hook tools and you have to push the plastic tabs in towards the center. I started at the top and got it to pull up a bit, then did each side.

Next is to lift the parcel shelf out- with the seat totally out, you could squat on the rear seat area and lift it out, but I had to go to one side and then the other to work it out then set it on the bottom, at the base of the seat.

Next you will find the parking back up assist speaker on the passenger side of the rear deck lid. You'll need to pry up two plastic rivet pins( reusable) and an electrical connector. Swap out and install in reverse.

I needed long needle nose pliers to put that black strap connector onto the pillar panel covers. Install the rear vertical seat portion making sure to have the seat belts on the front of the seat, before you latch it in, otherwise they get hidden behind.

Once I figured out the whole job, it is probably about 30 minutes to an hours work. Back up the car and hear it beep. The speaker is about $70 at a dealer and probably half that in ebay .

Photos are below.

There are actually 4 of these seat bottom keepers.You push the black lever and pull up on the seat.

You will have to remove 2 connectors on each side of the bottom seat in order to remove it from they car.

Rear pillar cover with seat belt coming through. Seat belt must be held to the front of the seat back vertical on installation.

This is the strap that sits below the rear seat. Pull both- one on each side and the vertical seat back comes forward

Seat back on pivots note seat belts still attached and the pull release straps in the foreground

This is the bottom of the vertical seat back where it pivots

Vertical of back seat left on pivot points of 2004 xjr Headrests all the way in otherwise you'll have no room to work.

These are called bezels I believe and you'll need 3 that look like these if yours are sun baked and brittle

This is the parcel shelf that may have the sun shade built in. Unscrew the 3 plastic captive screws and pop the bezels out and it slides down. The bezels have been removed though only two show in this photo.

This is where you can use a small hook to pull in the tabs on this bezel trim that is on the parcel shelf

This is where you start your finger in the door moulding to get the rear pillar trim off. That tab there slides onto a plastic post mounted on the body

These are where your speakers are if you have to remove them. Parking assist speaker is on the far left of this picture.

This is a front and back view of the beeper- speaker for the parking assist.

This is the pillar cover with that black squarish piece which is mounted to the body.It slides in a captive groove just below where that yellow plastic piece is protruding. Use a long needle nose to slide it in. Then the pieces snaps back onto the black mount.

The following 5 users liked this post by Grio:
cooldood (02-06-2023), Don B (06-22-2016), Lagonia (06-22-2016), tmt96111 (10-31-2017), wwr (01-30-2018)