XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking brake fault - Super V8 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake fault - Super V8 2005

Hi

So I did my 100k tune up. Everything works except.

After replacing pads on Manual Parking Break every time I start the car I am getting "Parking Break Fault". I can hear click sound when pads catch the rotors but I can't release them after that. Light on the dash seems to work and when I try to engage or disengage parking break it lights up and down but no action on calipers.

I followed the brakes replacement procedure that was discussed on forum to the dot. I tried to reset it and go in calibration mode as people on forum and manual suggested. Nothing. Before I touched manual break was working perfectly just pads were wore. What is wrong, what I did wrong?

Please advise.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Default Parking Brake Fault

Sounds like what happened to mine this winter. In my case I parked on a hill and in freezing weather, when I went to move again I got the fault you mentioned and the scratching noise from the locked breaks when I went forward. I tried the reset option in which the battery is disconnected (mentioned elsewhere) but didn't work, still had the same fault.

The result after taking it to the Jag shop was that the parking break motor needed replacing. It cost me around $3700 but I think they also replaced pads and some other things. I'm in Zug Switzerland now with a 2004 XJR and most everything here costs more than I would expect so take the cost with a grain of salt.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Default "Thank you" but "no thank you"

Originally Posted by Burr Swisher
Sounds like what happened to mine this winter. In my case I parked on a hill and in freezing weather, when I went to move again I got the fault you mentioned and the scratching noise from the locked breaks when I went forward. I tried the reset option in which the battery is disconnected (mentioned elsewhere) but didn't work, still had the same fault.

The result after taking it to the Jag shop was that the parking break motor needed replacing. It cost me around $3700 but I think they also replaced pads and some other things. I'm in Zug Switzerland now with a 2004 XJR and most everything here costs more than I would expect so take the cost with a grain of salt.
Hi

Thank you for your response how ether this is forum for DIY. $3700 is way way beyond what I am willing to spend on that. I wouldn't replace brakes myself if I was willing to spend $3700 for this kind of job. I am looking more for points how correctly troubleshoot that and do it myself if it is possible without going to dealership.

kozdi

Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Kozdi, you need to know that Zug in Switzerland, is not just Millionaires Row, it is Billionaires Row, so things there will be very expensive, and if you have a Jaguar, it will have to go to a main agent, there are not enough Jaguars in Switzerland to keep an independent garage in profit.

In addition, the Swiss Franc is an extremely strong currency, so the exchange rate to US dollars is also poor. So don't be disheartened, I am sure fixing your handbrake will be cheaper than $3700.

First off, from your post, you seem to have the Brembo brakes, not the standard ones, as you say you have replaced the handbrake pads. Are you sure of this, and haven't just replaced the rear pads ? Brembo brakes have separate handbrake and mainbrake pads.

The fault has occurred after your work, so although you say you followed the forum-posted instructions, you may have done something wrong without realising it, OR, the instructions have left out a vital step. Unfortunately, my JTIS CD doesn't have information on Brembo brakes, only the standard ones.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Hi

I installed Centrix rotors & Beck / Arnley pads.
I did replace front rotors & pads, rear rotors & pads & manual brake pads which are separate. Engine from parking / manual brake seems to operate. problem is that once it catch the rotors do not want to release it. Should go in calibration mode but wont go and in matter of 2-3 sec Parking Brake Fault message shows on dash. Some people were saying that poor battery can be one to blame. I replace original Jaguar with pretty new from my Land Rover Discovery (got even better parameters then Jags). Didn't help.

Do you know how to troubleshot it. Is it EPB modul or maybe something else? Thanx

Old 06-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Hi Kozdi

This is not a job I have ever done, so hopefully somebody else here will be able to guide you. First thing to investigate is why you can't get it into re-calibration mode.

I found this text in an August 2011 post by BlackX300VDP who is a qualified Jaguar technician: -

Since you have an XJR, I would assume that it has the Brembo brakes with the separate rear parking brake caliper. I have only done one set of those and wouldn't think they need replacing. The pads do have a thinner material on them since they are only to hold the car when parked or during an emergency braking situation when the service brakes are inoperative. If you still intend on replacing them, there is a tool to spin the tiny piston back into the housing like the regular non-R cars. It is spin,push,spin,push,etc.. I have not taken the rear cables off at all. Two bolts hold it on and it just flips up. Now, you do have to be careful not to tug on the cables as the plastic retainers are brittle. Good luck.
YOu could try a PM if there is not further response on this thread.