XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radio on but no sound and no cd player

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio on but no sound and no cd player

04 vdp........last week had substantial amount of water in trunk. eventually causing a restricted performance warning and car dying. well after vacuuming all the water out and drying all the plugs and changing the rear fuse box the car restarted. recalibrated ebrake and windows. radio comes on shows stations but no so sound plus remote cd changer doesn't work. tried the 3 button backdoor with no success. conducted a hard reboot, the 3 button security code backdoor still no sound or cd player. When car stopped running radio was working fine. Help!

Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

A number of people have had this problem (including myself) and I suspect it is due

to a bad connection in the D2B.This is the fibre optic connection between the boot/trunk

and the head unit and with the history of your Jag I suggest that you have a poke

around the connections to the boot unit.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
A number of people have had this problem (including myself) and I suspect it is due

to a bad connection in the D2B.This is the fibre optic connection between the boot/trunk

and the head unit and with the history of your Jag I suggest that you have a poke

around the connections to the boot unit.
Thx, as soon as I get a break in the rainy weather here I'll take look. Will update the results later. As much as there times that I don't mind riding with music off, I prefer it being a choice and not mandatory.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

I have had the problem about 3 times in 10 years of ownership and
the sound came back after ign. off and back on.

I have done a google search for you:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=j...+sound&ie=&oe=

Don B (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if can jump on this thread as a newbie to the forum? have 2004 XJR - purchased last week with no sound! I know... but discounted in the price paid. Have pulled amp from car to try a replacement but before I pull the trigger on a used on Ebay some basic questions from someone with very limited electrical knowledge:

Head does not see CDC in boot, which is powered and working - fuses all ok.
Have tried disconnect of battery and touching of pos and neg ( which did not prompt for radio code on restart?)
Satnav will not allow muting from main screen, but will from submenu but then if mute is selected does not feed into main screen - which I have not seen discussed on any other threads, but satnav otherwise works fine. No sound from satnav.
No phone connected.
head sees single cd, radio and will perform station searches
Steering wheel functions inc mute seem to work fine
Diagnostic memory shows no faults.

Is this a D2B cable error and should one be able to see a light at end of line when disconnected from amp in same way as TV box will send green light down line?

Your support in this much appreciated. I moved to US 2 weeks ago from England and first thing i did was to buy a Jag!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by CambridgeV8
I moved to US 2 weeks ago from England and first thing i did was to buy a Jag!
Hi CambridgeV8,

Welcome to the U.S. and welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I can't offer any simple solutions to your problem but there are several threads on the forums related to similar symptoms, so use the Advanced Search function (in the drop-down menu under the Search link above).

Also, you can download the wiring schematics for your model at this link:

Jaguar X350 Electrical Guide 2004

Also, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM

Thanks Don

And done, as requested. I have some knoweldge of the X300-350 range and wrote a few articles over the years about engine issues - and how we upped the power on one X308 XJR by 25%. However, the stereo on an X350 is a bit of a mystery....

Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Don B (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Thanks....have tried all these options. Now going for replacement amp route...at least eliminate that.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 PM

well....bought replacement amp...tried that - nothing, not a spark. Pulled head unit from dash- wiggled and checked connections. NOTHING! Hmmm.
So there is power going to amp according to circuit tester. The head unit is working in that it lights up, all the functions operate and single CD will play...as do all the steering wheel functions.
SatNav working but no sound or mute option available.
There is a Loop fitted into the rear connections from satnav/cdc which is confusing me A LOT.
Some questions - if there is power to the amp should it not at least fire up with the fan running or does a break in D2B stop it even starting?
Is the next option to replace the head unit with a s/h spare, or do I go direct to the D2B as problem? If so, how is this replaced? Does one buy a new or s/h loom and run through from rear units to head?
Or can we just bypass the D2B with a new head aftermrket head unit and amp?
So many questions....Looking for forum members to put me out of my agony.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:29 AM

UPDATE - NOW FIXED!

After eliminating most of the common error causes, it came down to the D2B being broken - which indeed it was. Pulled out the santav and CDC. Sure enough, faulty connection to satnav. The confusion arose with the CDC not being seen rather than the satnav so I assumed connection was broken there. A visit to local carstereo store, take CDC out of loop, rewire the satnav connection and full sound restored - took 20 mins. Note amp will never work even with power to it if optic is broken somewhere.
I was lucky break was in boot so access easy - otherwise full loop install could have been required.
SO tunes are on...no CDC but not needed anyway. Anyone recommend a good bluetooth adapter for me to play iPhone through head unit?
I currently have a working spare amp if anyone wants it?

Don B (05-27-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Can you give us some more details about you repair.

eg How did you prove D2B was at fault-no light when looking at end?

Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM

Sorry for late reply....we could see a light in D2B - get someone to sit up and retune radio and turn vol up and hold a card in front of lead to see it play out on it...signal was there but amp was dead despite power to it therefore had to be a break in the chain somewhere...as I said, we got lucky and it was in the back of the car, not the front. I had already checked head unit and all connections were ok. The one area i hadnt got to was behind the NAV and CDC boxes...

The following 2 users liked this post by CambridgeV8:
Don B (06-05-2018), meirion1 (06-07-2018)