XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear window sun shade issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by USMarshall
My other 2004 xjr had it and this one has the shade because you can see it behind the headrests. I reached out to the local Jaguar dealership yesterday and they said, "it happens. Sometimes the shades were installed with no button to operate them. We have seen it before." They also said that I could simply buy the button, however, it is connected to the other buttons on a circuit board in the overhead console. I then asked if he could order it for me at which time I found out that it would be $1500. So it looks like I'll get my windows tinted for $100 and deal with a shade that I cannot open.
You could also look to find a good used overhead console piece, in your color, that has the button on it. The wire plug will plug right in and you'll be set.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me get this straight.... you have had 2 cars with shades and no button? 1 with no button and they say it happens with a 1500 price tag if too many. I need to go lay down wow.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tips of the arms that lift the shade in my 2004 XJR are broken off. Some believe that the entire shade assembly needs to be purchased although here is a TSB that shows the arms separate.

2013-03-11_0750 - donzidoug's library

Although I have yet to decide whether to attempt this fix or hire it out here is the info for future reference.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Have you tried googling the part number for suppliers?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
Have you tried googling the part number for suppliers?
yep...parts are available from Jaguar...if I recall correctly the one place I checked was 84. for an arm and 260. or so for the motor assembly.

Although I can't be sure it looks as though something may happen to the motor assembly that causes the arms to push out too far resulting in broken tips. This is only a guess based on how far the arms appear to travel now compared to the width of the actual shade.

Again just guessing and having called each shop here in Phoenix I have yet to find anyone who has actually traveled this road. Only one place, Autohaus in Tempe seemed interested in getting to the bottom of this and seriously attempting an estimate and an appointment. Very courteous and professional people there at Autohaus.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
3M makes a product in a spray can called "Dry Silicone". Obtain some of that and get the sunshade extended. Spray the two corners of the cavity it retracts into. Its where the two little wheels that touch the glass slide in. That will keep the shade working pretty well.

Cheers,
That worked for me, I used chain lube, really had to force it up with some strength while someone operated the button, but all seems well now.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After calling Jaguar, they stated that almost all cars had the shade but not all had the button. They could send me a new overhead console for a mere $1400. Uh, no thank you. I finally found an overhead console with the Sun Shade Button on FleaBay for only $50. I installed it and after tugging a little on the shade itself, it arose like Christ on the third day. I'm so pleased that all it was missing was the correct overhead console.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Grab hold of it and tug it loose from the package shelf on both sides. You might need someone to hit the switch to extend it at the same time, but not always. The shade will pull out about an inch or so by flexing the mechanism slightly.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. My rear shade was stuck when I bought my car a couple of weeks ago. I did as you suggested and it works now.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Exclamation Sunshade HELP

I am looking for the clips/slides that go into the arms and allows the shade to slide up and down. Is there a part number for this? I spoke with the dealer and they want to replace the whole shade for $2200, really for a small plastic slide????

Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default I need to know who will sell the arm kit

So my sunshade is completely busted - It was up and functional when I test drove the 2006 XJ8L that I ended up buying. Between my test drive and ownership some %$#@*&^ went and broke it both sliding pieces in the frame (at the tips of the arms) are broken as is one roller that is to prevent hitting and the friction of hitting the rear window. The PDF poste in the beginning of this thread has a part number listed for the ARM kit, but I cannot fond that kit anywhere on the web. Does anyone know of a source?

C2C 40234 ...............Arm mechanism kit (XJ)

This is what I need ^ Cannot find it ANYWHERE!!!

Anyone?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by USMarshall
I just purchased my second XJR. I bought it and didn't realize that there is no button for the rear window sunshade on the overhead console like my last XJR. The car has navigation so I'm thinking that the control might be somewhere in there. Can anyone help?

I know thi9s is way after the fact but the information may be pertinent and current. There is a thread on this forum that discusses rear sunshades that Jaguar installed with no corresponding button in the overhead console. I read it with some amusement when more than one person chimed in, and one guy got a new overhead with a button from a junk yard and guess what: a working sunshade is what. What a colossal screw up for an automobile manufacturer, but I guess it's no weirder than some other things that go wrong.

All I am saying is, if anyone reading the thread has what appears to be a rear sunshade on the parcel shelf (why they call it that, and then emphatically warn you not too EVER put ANYTHING on the shelf less you create a decapitating, scalping or face maiming projectile. I would strongly advise confirming that a sunshade does indeed exist, and then start perusing eBay for consoles with the button.

-John Blair

Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

I had an inoperative sun shade for months now. I really did not care for it anyway since I had other issues with the car to deal with. I stumbled upon this thread and tried what other forum members did - namely, manually pull the shade out about an inch and see if it works.

Voila! It works like a charm now. Up and down w/o problems. I still need to lubricate the two points mentioned in this thread and should be done. This is the cheapest ($0) and easiest fix thus far for me...

The following 2 users liked this post by Lagonia:
joeldietzjr (01-09-2015), Watersidejag (08-12-2018)
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 PM
Default Resolved!

So the tips where the arms slide were broken off on my Sunshade. Fortunately I found a complete package shelf on ebay for $70 and replaced the arms on mine with the ones from the shelf I bought. Fairly big job, including pulling rear seat bottom and back, removal and disassembly of the package shelf and sunshade, but not only do I have a fully functional sunshade, but I have a spare set of motors and parts. Still would have loved to find a source for the arms- part number is listed on the pdf attached earlier in this thread. In any case I am thrilled to have the shade functioning. Its a very cool option and unique to Jaguar and Mercedes. Anyone know of a company making custom side shades for rear door windows? Would love have a set but can't see cannibalizing a Super V8 to get them!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You can get fitted shades for the rear side windows, but they are clip-in ones and only for SWB models. I have a set for my XJR, they are very nice but not cheap!

jaguar interior styling | jaguar shades | jaguar privacy blinds

There was also a factory option for roll-up shades on the rear side windows for both SWB and LWB cars, but I don't think too many had them fitted. Although a friends base-model XJ in Germany had them, without the electric rear blind, which was a bit odd...

I looked into retrofitting them to mine but the door cards are different to allow for the blind, which made it very expensive if you bought the spare parts new, and difficult to find from wrecked cars...

The following users liked this post:
carelm (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You can get fitted shades for the rear side windows, but they are clip-in ones and only for SWB models. I have a set for my XJR, they are very nice but not cheap!

jaguar interior styling | jaguar shades | jaguar privacy blinds

There was also a factory option for roll-up shades on the rear side windows for both SWB and LWB cars, but I don't think too many had them fitted. Although a friends base-model XJ in Germany had them, without the electric rear blind, which was a bit odd...

I looked into retrofitting them to mine but the door cards are different to allow for the blind, which made it very expensive if you bought the spare parts new, and difficult to find from wrecked cars...
Thanks Cambo351,

I spent days trying to find the shades for a LWB but no joy. You would think they would make some for the LWB cars as it seems most of the XJs in my area are LWB cars. I got a little envious of my friend's Super V8 that had the side shades, adjustable rear seat and entertainment system. However, I would only really find the side shades useful. I've never sat in the rear seat while the car was underway.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default rear shade not working properly

i yanked and pulled and shook it side to side and almost tore it out and after hitting the button several times it started working and worked great! i lubed it and then worked it several more times and it worked perfectly.. today i went out and it was stuck again! and i had to pull and shake etc again and it started working perfectly again. so i left it up. there is nothing broken that i can see, there is no noise at all it just pops up and goes down with out a sound.. just like you would think it should.. so does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the issue?? why does it work for several hours and if left down over night jam again?? and it was lubed and there was no dirt etc anywhere that i could see. I wait to hear your excellent answers.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks XJRGuy, my latest baby had the shade stuck in the fully open position. Only one side would try to close while the other side was jammed. After a little "Persuasive Love Tugging" It now works fully as it should. I'll have to let it rise once every few days just because i can.

Now.... If I can fix the broken Ashtray in the rear door (which I'd never use) The weak washer jet pressure on the Wiper blades (already checked the hoses), The slight sound drop in the stereo volume every now and then, the none operative ASL (which I'll never use) ANNnnd the Global Locking and Unlocking of the windows and sunroof(which i might use...) I'll be a purring happy camper... lol

Old 01-30-2022, 09:38 AM

By the way: at first I also guessed that a motor is broken or anything else does not work anymore but when I also tried it with carefull brutal force, at once the back shade worked again: I lifted it with a plastic spoon a little bit left, a little bit right and than with power in the middle as soon as there has been one inch of place to see.
Thanks
Andreas

Old 05-27-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all.
Just bought a 2004 XJ8 with a lousy tint job on the rear windshield to compensate for the blind being stuck.
With my wife helping we freed it in minutes. Now to risk the defrost and antenna installation removing
the crappy tint.

The following users liked this post:
Big Koshka (05-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear window sun shade issues