Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   Restrictive Performance DSC not Available P1338 Fuel Pump Driver Module (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/restrictive-performance-dsc-not-available-p1338-fuel-pump-driver-module-164157/)

annamiata 06-09-2016 08:19 PM

Restrictive Performance DSC not Available P1338 Fuel Pump Driver Module

My wife was driving on the Interstate and the Jaguar suddenly shut down.
Restrictive performance and DSC not available shown as warnings. I had it tow home. Immediately, without any diagnostic, I knew it was bad fuel.
My neighbor happened to fill up from the same gas station and he told me there were multiple complains and the gas station owner actually had a tanker truck extracted entire 3,000 gallons from the gas station's underground storage tank.

My guess was corrected. I removed the fuel pump and drain all fuel from the gas tank; changed out the fuel filter; refilled with good gasoline; and bench test the fuel pump. The fuel pump was fine.

OBII read P1338 for fuel pump driver module communication circuit. I can not reset P1338 from OBII reader.

What would be my next step to reset the restrictive performance? The ECU and fuel module would not send voltage to fuel pump.

I did used fluid starter and the car started and died immediately.

Unfortunately , I live 70 miles from the nearest Jaguar.

I do have clone Mongoose version V138.2 but appeared it not working properly. I went into diagnostic mode but nothing shown.

annamiata 06-10-2016 04:24 PM

fixed.

Its good to have brother that is a 20 years plus seasoned Jaguar mechanic.

I hate to bother him but after trouble shoot , pinned down the issue that caused the Restrictive Performance. Called my brother and in a minute, he pointed to the fix

Mac Allan 06-10-2016 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by annamiata (Post 1478920)
fixed.

Its good to have brother that is a 20 years plus seasoned Jaguar mechanic.

I hate to bother him but after trouble shoot , pinned down the issue that caused the Restrictive Performance. Called my brother and in a minute, he pointed to the fix

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Could you post the fix so that when someone searches the archives, they'll see the solution?

JagV8 06-11-2016 01:05 AM

Normally if you fix a fault then the PCM will clear the code(s) after 3 warm ups or you can do it via an OBD tool.

If the codes don't clear then you haven't fixed the engine fault(s).

annamiata 06-14-2016 01:23 PM

7 Attachment(s)
All photos were downloaded from google search. I did not take any photos. I am no Mechanic but I do have good trouble shooting skill.
I got an OBII loaner reader for a local auto part store and only code registered was P1000 which was useless.
I check all fuses and the fuel control module 20 amp fuse was blown. (see photo/F33,20 amp yellow) I installed new fuse, started engine, which it started for couple seconds and died. I checked the same 20 amp fuse and it was blown again.
I used starter fluid and the car started with starter fluid. I concluded that restrictive performance was related to fuel system. In addition, the battery was registered at 12 volts which potentially from me kept cranking try to get it started.
Possible cause from the symptom related to fuel.
1. ECU was damaged and not sending instruction to Fuel control module.
2. Damage fuel control module not sending voltage to pump.
3. Clog fuel filter from bad fuel
4. Damage fuel pump.
5. Low battery voltage
Corrective actions that were taken from most obvious with less time consuming.
1. I hook you a trickle charger to charge the battery over night
2. Replace fuel filter ($15.00 and took less than 30 minutes). My jaguar clocked less than 50K miles but the fuel filter was very dirty with black sediments.
3. I tried to start but it still had restrictive performance after fuel filter replacement and a fully charged battery; fuse blown again and it would not cranked.
4. Fuel pump. I googled and found couple articles and photos the location of fuel pump. Fuel pump and fuel sending unit are located under the rear seat. Jaguar fuel tank is consisted of two connect compartments (not two tanks). The fuel tank situated below the passenger and driver side rear seat. Removing the rear seat was easy. Four latches located at the bottom at rear seat and can be reach by hand. Latches looked like plastic gun triggers. I removed two snap on plastic 6 inch diameter black rubber caps to access the fuel pump and sending unit. The fuel pump is located on the passenger side rear seat and fuel sending unit is located on the driver side rear seat. I used a mallet and wooden 1x1 by 10 inch long stick and applied force counter clockwise along the edge of 6 inch in diameter ring caps. The fuel pump and sending unit are connected via two quick connects hoses and they were easily removed. The fuel pump filter and sending unit filter looked clean but there was black sediment settled at bottom of fuel tank. The removed fuel pump was bench tested by connected to a portable 12 volt battery. Pump was working fine.

I turned the ignition key on and there was no voltage from harness connected to pump. (I did not tested with new fuse after fuse blown (Duh me). All fuel from tank was pumped out and bottom was rinsed with fuel and wipe dried.

Finally, I was able to borrow an expensive OBII reader from a friend and I did get a P1338 code. P1338 is for fuel control module low voltage. I attempted to reset but the P1338 immediately came back.
Putting back the fuel pump and sending unit took me 30 minutes just for installing the fuel ring caps. I was difficult to align the two seal gaskets to the two ring caps. I was difficult to tighten and align the two ring caps by hand. I was worried to cross thread two ring caps since they are made out of plastic.
I refilled ten gallons of new fuel and installed a second 20 amp fuse. Voila, it started and all code and restrictive performance warning disappeared.
I did call my brother which he is a veteran Jaguar Master Mechanic. These were his concerns from diagnosed over the phone.
1. ECU damage and did not send signal to fuel control Module.
2. Fuel control module damaged ($2,000.00) plus had to be tow to Jaguar dealer for reprogram.
3. Weak fuel pump which will cause fuse blown and or future restrictive performance.
4. Clog fuel filter due to bad/dirty fuel.
5. Weak battery causes multiple issues.
Before I took steps above, I was able to locate a 2005 jaguar parts car. I went and purchased couple used spare parts. 1. Used fuel pump and sending unit ($50.00), 2. Three Denso coils over plug ($10 each). 3. Throttle boby with all sensors ($60.00). 4. Not working for rebuilt Compressor for air suspension ($20.00). These parts are just for spare since it was so cheap.

Attachment 151763
Attachment 151764
Attachment 151765

Attachment 151766

Attachment 151767

Attachment 151768

Attachment 151769

annamiata 06-14-2016 03:11 PM

please noted that the photo of fuel tank does not appeared to be from 2004 XJ8. Top connections are different. There was only one exterior fuel line quick connect located op top of fuel pump on passender side rear seat. The two inter quick connect fuel lines from fuel pump to sending unit are internal.

Mac Allan 06-14-2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by annamiata (Post 1481341)
please noted that the photo of fuel tank does not appeared to be from 2004 XJ8. Top connections are different. There was only one exterior fuel line quick connect located op top of fuel pump on passender side rear seat. The two inter quick connect fuel lines from fuel pump to sending unit are internal.

My guess is the photo is the XJR fuel tank. The XJR tanks has two fuel pumps and two level senders, whereas the non SC ones have one pump and two senders.

Sochi2014 10-17-2016 08:21 PM

annamiata,

I could not get from your description what caused the problem in your case and how you addressed that.

Seems I also have some fuel delivery issues with codes
P1236 - Fuel pump not working when requested
P1235 - Fuel pump control out of range
P0231 - Fuel pump secondary circuit low
Car starts fine at any time. However it runs like a cow and not a fast jaguar. Sometimes when I push wot it starts to hesitate heavily that feels like fuel starvation.. it shows Performance Restriction on dash. If anyone experienced that please advise the way to find the problem.

Datsports 10-18-2016 05:23 AM

I think your secondary fuel pump has died .

Sochi2014 10-19-2016 05:06 AM

Did anyone disassemble pump modules to see which pumps installed inside these plastic canisters?

Sochi2014 10-19-2016 05:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It seems that pump assemblies are made by airtex. It shows in their catalogue E8577M + E8574M for supercharged application. If just to know which pumps are actually used inside..

paddyx350 05-14-2019 04:35 AM

''Seems I also have some fuel delivery issues with codes
P1236 - Fuel pump not working when requested
P1235 - Fuel pump control out of range
P0231 - Fuel pump secondary circuit low''

I have some similar problems, getting code P1235.
Did you solve yours?

meirion1 05-14-2019 06:51 PM

Looks just the same as the Airtex one:

Amazon sell a Pierburg pump also and recent thread re that pump on the forum.

paddyx350 05-15-2019 04:53 AM

Yes,

That airtex part is the right one.
The problem is the price if it!!

meirion1 05-15-2019 06:10 PM

But will the Spectra one do the job for ~$300?

https://www.spectrapremium.com/en

paddyx350 05-16-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by meirion1 (Post 2071189)
But will the Spectra one do the job for ~$300?

https://www.spectrapremium.com/en

Clicked on the link but can't find a fuel pump for the xjr?

meirion1 05-16-2019 06:10 PM

I e mailed them and asked about a pump for my X350 XJ8 and they said no.

Do not need it now but am coming up to 100k miles.

Answer here for an XJR?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...solved-153085/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-153085/page2/

Datsports 05-26-2019 04:41 PM

I believe this to be the oem pump here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-f...edirect=mobile

meirion1 05-26-2019 08:41 PM

Correct!

Works on an XJR too so that 51 psi quoted for this pump must be wrong?

An N/A needs 55psi and an Xjr even more.

Plenty of Chinese clones about for 25% the price but are they any good?

Datsports 05-26-2019 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1 (Post 2076426)
Correct!

Works on an XJR too so that 51 psi quoted for this pump must be wrong?

An N/A needs 55psi and an Xjr even more.

Plenty of Chinese clones about for 25% the price but are they any good?

it will be the BMW's target pressure .
between the jags fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump driver it will aim for 55psi .

as for the XJR & STR they too run on 55psi , and the higher fuel pressure you speak of is only for under boost conditions ,
and is achieved via a second fuel pump driver and a second identical pump that kicks in under boost conditions . to combat boost negating the fuel pressure at the injector .