XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Running rough after overheat…blown engine?…please help?

Old 06-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough after overheat…blown engine?…please help?

hi everyone,

I can use a little help…

I was driving to the repair shop to replace the hose under the intake manifold… Watching the thermostat temperature and stopped whenever necessary to add distilled water

however, on the way the temperature gauge spiked and I pulled over turn the car off… Waited for it to cool… Then when I restarted the car began to miss and run very very very rough

I had it towed to the shop and they informed me that the engine may or may not be… Blown but they would like $300 to take the spark plugs out put oil in each cylinder to determine or possibly save the engine. If I get lucky

I'd really appreciate some help and insight… Thank you very much

I have a 2004 XJ8 V-8 with 117,000 miles

Old 06-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
hi everyone,

I can use a little help…

I was driving to the repair shop to replace the hose under the intake manifold… Watching the thermostat temperature and stopped whenever necessary to add distilled water

however, on the way the temperature gauge spiked and I pulled over turn the car off… Waited for it to cool… Then when I restarted the car began to miss and run very very very rough

I had it towed to the shop and they informed me that the engine may or may not be… Blown but they would like $300 to take the spark plugs out put oil in each cylinder to determine or possibly save the engine. If I get lucky

I'd really appreciate some help and insight… Thank you very much

I have a 2004 XJ8 V-8 with 117,000 miles
Ouch!

You should've never driven the car with a leak.

I would try disconnecting the battery, touch the neg & pos terminals for 30 seconds and reconnect.

Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Start car. If still running rough might be worth having shop do a comp test of all cylinders.

Also, check each coil for coolant or oil penetration. More than likely would be coolant in spark well shorting out the coil from the overheating if coolant splattered on the coil cover. (If your lucky)

Old 06-26-2016, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I would think that you could have blown the head gasket via overheating, A compression check could help determine that. Not a ruined motor, but still a big repair.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (06-26-2016)