Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   SDD Caution! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/sdd-caution-164675/)

kbeachy 06-19-2016 08:28 AM

SDD Caution!

I was in the SDD (Mongoose) dealer options trying to instruct my car to not automatically engage the park brake if the ignition key is removed, when the software blanked out on me and wouldn't move. I instructed it to escape, and I was given the customary warning that doing so might cause damage to the car. I didn't know what else to do, and the result was that I got a "config f" flashing error message on the instrument panel. And any subsequent attempts to change ANY of the settings in the dealer options resulted in a message that I hadn't selected anything.

My research didn't reveal what the config f was even referring to, but possibly the FETM or the FEM. I ended up in an email conversation with jlrsupport for a fix. They asked for my session files, which I sent. Next thing I knew they remarked that my session files were old, they couldn't find my username registered with TOPIx, and therefore I am not authorized to use the software. Busted.

Since I have the Chinese knockoff version of the Mongoose, I told them I'm using an outdated version (and hence the older date on the session files since I set my computer's date back in order to avoid updating conflicts) that is not supported by TOPIx. Haven't heard back since.

So I made a visit to my Jag dealer for a diagnostic. It turns out I must have scrambled the software in the Front Electronic Module. The dealer didn't think it's possible to reprogram the software (trying to reconfigure the FEM using the SDD fails), and Jaguar doesn't even stock the module anymore, but plenty of used ones are available on eBay for about $60 and up. So I'll buy one and run it through my SDD configuration protocols once it's installed.

Caution to anyone using the SDD that it can blink out on you and cause damage to electronic components.

Lagonia 06-19-2016 09:03 AM

Thanx for the warning! I have the SDD setup and use it sporadically. Keep us updated on what the resolution ends-up being.

Mikey 06-19-2016 09:22 AM

Just curious as to why you would want to turn off the EPB.

jackra_1 06-19-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lagonia (Post 1484147)
Thanx for the warning! I have the SDD setup and use it sporadically. Keep us updated on what the resolution ends-up being.

Same with me and the possibility of bricking something does worry me.

Cambo 06-19-2016 09:53 AM

Most likely what's happened here is the VID block has been corrupted when the flash failed & everything froze up.

The VID Block needs to be re-loaded to the master modules in the vehicle, it's not possible to reflash the FEM if the VID Block is corrupted.

This is probably the result of your junk clone Mongoose, and hacked software, not working correctly. That's always the risk of using dodgy equipment.

Putting in a used FEM won't help either, as it would also need to be programmed to the car, which won't work until the VID block has been rectified. Your existing FEM can be re-flashed, it's not dead.

The dealer should be able to fix this, but first they have to rectify the VID Block.

VID Block was replaced by CCF Car Configuration File in Jags nearly 10 years ago now, so the techs that weren't around back then may not be so familar with it...

Maybe they need to use Legacy IDS to resolve this, or an old version of IDS, or maybe even a WDS. It could be that the routine is buried somewhere in SDD and they aren't familiar with it.

Good luck.

kbeachy 06-19-2016 03:38 PM

I'll ask the Jag tech about that, Cambo. Thanks.
Mikey, I wanted to turn it off so that I could control its application because I suspected the park brake had something to do with my calipers not releasing correctly.

plums 06-19-2016 03:53 PM

There is a specific TSB on this or at least closely related.

You have to treat the corrupt unit as "new" and grab the
VID block from one of the other units containing the VID
block. By this, I mean that multiple units already installed
in the vehicle contain backup copies of the VID block.

34by151 06-19-2016 05:28 PM

Another ting to remember is to always have the car connected to a power supply when using WDS/IDS

You need to have a power supply of at lest 30A.
It should also have at least 3 charge modes (bulk,absorb,float)
You should also wait till you are on float before programming

Also check out this TSB
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...ID%20block.pdf

Cheers
34by151

kbeachy 06-20-2016 05:28 AM

Plums, using SDD do you know how to grab the VID block from one of the other units containing the VID block? It sounds as if you're saying I should be able to reflash the malfunctioning FEM using this method. Thanks.

dsetter 06-20-2016 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by kbeachy (Post 1484128)
Caution to anyone using the SDD that it can blink out on you and cause damage to electronic components.

I concur but doubt modules were damaged. I know of three cars that were affected due to use of 4 different mongoose or VCM clones. In no case were any modules damaged and were all recovered by using an authentic mongoose and programming as a replacement module.

My understanding is that many reconfigurations require an update to the the VID block. Most updates are done on one comms bus, but the ECU requires a different serial programming, and none of the clone mongoose or VCM programmers support this protocol.
Some ads correctly mention this limitation, some...

ryejag 06-20-2016 07:51 AM

Are the any non dealer Mongoose software programs that are recommended? At this point I am reluctant to utilize any software programs beyond ODBII and Torque.
RyeJag

Don B 06-20-2016 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1484160)
Just curious as to why you would want to turn off the EPB.

That's a good question, Mikey, but there is a valid reason one should consider disabling the automatic application of the EBP. There have been many reports of X350 owners who have started their car, put the transmission in Drive, only then to discover that the EPB actuator has failed in the ON position and cannot be released without cutting one of the secondary cables (see page 8 of the TSB at the link below):

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...ng%20Brake.pdf

Cheers,

Don

plums 06-20-2016 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by kbeachy (Post 1484587)
Plums, using SDD do you know how to grab the VID block from one of the other units containing the VID block? It sounds as if you're saying I should be able to reflash the malfunctioning FEM using this method. Thanks.

It's detailed in the TSB where it explains using SDD and setting the
configure module to "new module" so that it treats it as requiring
the VID to be copied from some other module. SDD then does
what needs to be done.

There are manual ways to edit the VID on older vehicles but I
do not know your specific vehicle.

Sorry to be vague, but I will add that the TSB was one posted
by Motorcarman multiple times. Other than that I can't really
point at the exact TSB.

One thing a lot of people miss in addition to the external battery
backup is setting all devices including USB ports to full on, no power save.
This prevents the session from going to sleep just because there has
been no action at the keyboard.

The Panasonic specific batch file that is run on the factory authorised
real deal units sets those power saving settings but no one ever thinks
to do the same thing on a compatible unit.

plums 06-20-2016 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsetter (Post 1484590)
Most updates are done on one comms bus, but the ECU requires a different serial programming, and none of the clone mongoose or VCM programmers support this protocol.
Some ads correctly mention this limitation, some...

The difference can be divined by reading the Drew Tech documentation
and noting the differences between the JLR specific mongoose model
and the other models in their line. There are a couple of signals that
appear in no other mongoose variant.

There are full clones that do reproduce all functions.
In the earlier days, this was almost a given. Several
members have them. Things must have changed in the
last couple of years.

There are also some preferred versions of clone VCM's.

Of course buying a genuine item is not completely out
of the question. Compare the cost of fixing/replacing
a bricked module with the cost of purchase and it begins
to seem cost effective.

Even then, IDS/SDD in the hands of the inexperienced
and impatient can be a fast road to misery.

kbeachy 06-21-2016 05:36 AM

I checked back with the Jag technician who looked at my config f issue. He confirmed that he believes the problem is a bricked front electronic module, and not with the VID block, that needs to be swapped out.

He had tried to reconfigure the original FEM and couldn't. When I've tried to reconfigure it using my clone SDD as a new module, it goes through all the protocols, including grabbing VID, but then on the very last screen says programming failed.

So, there are several used FEMs available on eBay. I made an offer on one that was accepted for $45 and will attempt to swap it out. Not much invested if it doesn't work and a good test case.

Cambo 06-21-2016 07:31 AM

Ask the tech which interface he used with SDD. It sounds like there is a problem with programming on the SCP bus, and the VCM is the only interface that does SCP well. If they don't have a VCM you will struggle here...

Some of the "JLR Approved" interfaces do have issues with the SCP bus, even genuine MongoosePro or the JLR-VCI which they had especially made for them.

You can't "brick" a module really, 99% of the time they can be recovered unless there is some physical damage (or bad wiring), but you have zero chance of recovering them if your interface is not communicating with the car perfectly.

This is the problem with a lot of clones, they can read on a bus, but writing is where they fall over. Or some will not even read a bus correctly.

You can't just plug in any old FEM and hope for the best, it will be mismatched to the vehicle, wrong VID, etc...

Panelhead 06-21-2016 10:34 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 1485260)
Ask the tech which interface he used with SDD. It sounds like there is a problem with programming on the SCP bus, and the VCM is the only interface that does SCP well. If they don't have a VCM you will struggle here...

Some of the "JLR Approved" interfaces do have issues with the SCP bus, even genuine MongoosePro or the JLR-VCI which they had especially made for them.

You can't "brick" a module really, 99% of the time they can be recovered unless there is some physical damage (or bad wiring), but you have zero chance of recovering them if your interface is not communicating with the car perfectly.

This is the problem with a lot of clones, they can read on a bus, but writing is where they fall over. Or some will not even read a bus correctly.

You can't just plug in any old FEM and hope for the best, it will be mismatched to the vehicle, wrong VID, etc...

I am going give away my clone before it causes grief.
The iCarsoft does a good job of reading codes and clearing them. The limited functionality is a blessing.

philwarner 06-21-2016 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Panelhead (Post 1485343)
I am going give away my clone before it causes grief.
The iCarsoft does a good job of reading codes and clearing them. The limited functionality is a blessing.

Agreed. I spent several months trying to get a clone Mongoose set up with Xp pro and the older versions of SDD without success and I probably saved myself some future grief by not being able to use it. My i930 serves my purpose now without the risk of fowling up the car's setup. I didn't think I was dumb, but I guess I was just not smart enough to use the SDD.

kbeachy 06-23-2016 06:38 PM

My $45 replacement FEM arrived today. The hardest part of the installation was getting enough flexibility from the firm, thick padded floor mat underneath the pedals in order to get at the FEM bolts.

The replacement FEM immediately removed by "config f" message, and without going through a reconfiguration routine at that. I checked all the functionality physically and then with my SDD. Everything checked out, including access to my dealer options menu.

Needless to say I'm very pleased! Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments and advice. I think I'll either give up completely or be very selective when it comes to doing anything more invasive with my SDD.

paydase 06-30-2016 06:48 AM

Thank you for this instructive thread and feedback.

Up to now I have used my IDS-SDD/Mongoose set up to read codes only.
It's a dedicated Panasonic Toughbook with v131.3 and calibration files downloaded from 2 CDs purchased separately on ebay from UK, and a clone Mongoose bought from China (Cardiag) early 2014.
For this task it seems to work well.

I was always reluctant to go beyond code reading as I am not an IT expert. Already having IDS-SDD proprely downloaded and operating on the laptop was not easy.
For eventual programming, reading the warnings concerning battery backup during programming, I purchased a Chinese stabilised 50 A power supply that would seem to make the job.

But reading the experience above, I am not very keen anymore to engage in reprogramming...

@plums: Is it possible to know if a clone Mongoose is able or not to reproduce all functions so as not to corrupt files or bug a programming?