XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Selling My '04 XJR (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Selling My '04 XJR (maybe)

I'm thinking of selling my 2004 XJR. It's in really nice condition except for some chrome flaking on the Sepangs.

It's got 84,400 some odd miles on it and runs like a top.

The reason I'm thinking of selling it is, my commute to work has become really long, about 70 miles per-day and I don't want to drive this thing into the ground. So my thought was, maybe I should sell it while the mileage is low and it's in good shape and get myself a commuter car instead.

I looked up the value on kbb.com and it comes in around $8,000. So here's my question, since these cars are relatively rare, do they sell for more than that typically? At least in the US? Has anyone bought or sold a similar car recently? If so, what did you buy/sell for?

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth keeping and driving the hell out of it, or if I might make a little money off of it and get a cheap econocar.

Here's a shot of the car:

Thanks

Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Be a shame to sell that beauty, be I see where you're coming from.

As long as you take good care of it ( condition speaks for itself ), keep fluids changed at regular intervals, you should be alright.

If you do decide to sell.... figure out what you want to get, and I'm sure you could get more than 8K, always start high. Don't see many white XJR's around, at least not in my areas.

The following users liked this post:
donniefitz2 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thing is, it came from Texas, which it looks like you're from.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The only savings you will ever see from switching cars is the lack of speeding tickets in the commuter car. Enjoy the XJR. You will get to and from work refreshed and energized.

The following users liked this post:
donniefitz2 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice looking car. In the end you will need to do what’s best for you in your situation.

We were in the same position a couple of months ago. We debated on selling a Jag to get something more “economical” for work, as we run daily routes with ours. After crunching numbers, yes, the econobox came out cheaper, but not as much as you’d thnk. All cars cost money to drive, and in our experience the Jags have been very reliable and haven’t cost too much more than running another type of car. We decided to not only keep it, but added a third Jaguar because we enjoy them so much. Cars are meant to be driven, and life is meant to be enjoyed.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Driving it into the ground might not be as easy as you think. Like stated earlier, keeping up on fluid changes, & maintaining it are the keys to a long life. In your area with the drier, warmer climate, it will last a long time. The drive train parts can always be rebuilt, so it can easily out last you, and still look great doing it. Sell it and you'll most likely regret it, every day going to work, and home. W T F are we working for, if not a little enjoyment along the way???????

Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I purchased my XJ8 in 2016 for just under $7,000.00 with right around 84,000 miles. It has navigation, 18 inch wheels (not the Sepangs though, bummer) heated seats,steering wheel, zenon headlights, premium sound system and a few other things. I am the 3rd owner and it is well documented. It needed a new front shock and now a headliner and a few minor things that I will fix myself. I would say keep her and take care of her. I had a new Ford Focus a few years ago for economy driving. However in the long run the short driving mileage offset the highway mileage and the average just was not that great. Especially considering the other aspects of the small cat vs the Jaguar. I think you will regret selling it but think if you are the original owner it is worth more, or easily close to KBB. Insurance will probably say your car is worth well the KBB value and find a dozen comparable cars for $6,000 in your area if they total it for any reason. Most new cars are well built and reliable but there is no comparison to knowing what you have and what to expect for problems to watch out for. Although that can also be a reason for selling. Tires for my current car are more than double what they were for the Ford and even changing the oil costs twice as much. The Focus cost me nothing except maintenance costs until it was totaled in a wreck after more than 50,000 miles. It was even rearended once and cost over $5,000.00 to repair (I know an insurance company would have written it off). But the comparison of even sitting in this car while not moving is priceless. While sitting in a Focus, even though it was "practical" was always boring. It is not my decision but I would keep it. Be prepared to wait a long time to get the money you want as you will get more lowball offers than good ones but do not sell it for less than you feel it is worth. I plan on keeping my 2004 forever probably. There seem to be a lot of 2004 Jaguar owners out there, maybe it is the 6 speed.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it possible for you to have two cars? maybe you can keep driving the xj until youve saved enough for another car. does it have to be a nicer commuter car or can it be an older but nicer beater?

its too bad that finances may sway us one way or another in terms of what we want to keep in our stables. i personally dont drive the jag too much since my commute is only 10-15 minutes so i dont want to start it up only to shut it down before its had time to fully come up to temperature.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my 2004 XJR in perfect condition for about $7000. The resale value is extremely low on Jags because of their poor reliability stigma. I highly suggest keeping it because there aren't going to be any cars *of the same caliber* for the price you would be selling it for.

Last edited by squanchy; 01-18-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: for the same caliber
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

There are a couple low mileage XJ's up here in MN for sale for more than 2 years and they look pretty clean. They're both overpriced @ around $10k. Buyers won't pay up and sellers won't come down. Both are lower mileage than yours.

It's a niche market and the right buyer has to come along. Here's a tool that you can use that might help take any emotion out of the equation, which it looks like you're doing.

The car's a beauty but the cost to maintain them (maintain alone, not getting into repair costs) is relatively high. My SV8 was as expensive to maintain as my wife's MB S430. That's the price of owning a luxury car.

Give this a look see and maybe it will help you.

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Buy or Keep Calculator

Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you could probably get more for it. I bought mine in April of last year with 130,000 miles for $6,700, and it needed a lot of work. I had to travel pretty far to get it, too. When I was looking to buy, there was only one car advertised for cheaper within a 5 hour radius from me, and it looked like a junker.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I've never seen chrome Sepangs before. Were they chromed or did they come like that from the factory? Either way, they look awesome.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Unhappy

Been told by a guy that buys & sells high end used cars. They ofton buy off the web, then pay to ship them north, as well as east, adding to the cost of your purchase, in this area of the country. You are living in a prime area, where one goes to find a deal, on such a car as yours. Lot of wealthy older folks getting something newer as these get older, with typical wear items, that cost way too much to put in such an old car that is not worth much, in the retail, or resale, scheme of things. Leaving great deals to be had for people that could not think about such an automobile as these new.