Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   Sun Screen inop (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/sun-screen-inop-204814/)

Terrific 07-12-2018 09:00 AM

Sun Screen inop

Has anyone had experience with rear window sunscreen on 05 VDP. There is a click when button is pushed but no action. Fuse good. It seems someone has cut an access hole in the trunk forward finish carpeting, maybe to give it a push? I'm sure I can survive without it but would be nice if everything worked. Thamks.

abonano 07-12-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Terrific (Post 1928203)
Has anyone had experience with rear window sunscreen on 05 VDP. There is a click when button is pushed but no action. Fuse good. It seems someone has cut an access hole in the trunk forward finish carpeting, maybe to give it a push? I'm sure I can survive without it but would be nice if everything worked. Thamks.

Two person operation. Have someone press the button on the overhead console while you stick a credit card or pick in between the sunscreen assembly and base to give it a boost out of the assembly base.

Also check the corners for binding.

After getting mine sorted I leave the rear sunscreen in the extended position and cycle it once monthly. That seems to do the trick.

magmedia 07-12-2018 11:11 AM

Yes. Had same issue and solved as described!

Add some light oil at pivot points if so inclined...

ItsMyXJR 07-13-2018 11:41 AM

I did it alone...moving it up and down a bit manually. Now that I use it regularly, no issues.

Terrific 07-13-2018 06:25 PM

Thanks guys; Pried the hell out of it yesterday to no avail. Pushed the button today and it zipped right up. Tom

brian5 07-14-2018 04:59 AM

Mine sometimes would go up no problem other times I'd need to prise it up and press the button at the same time to get it to move, but it has been working flawlessly, since I changed out the battery which seemed to be good, but turned out to have a bad cell.

Brewster411 03-22-2020 09:03 PM

My rear sun blind isn't working. I tried prying up on the ends of the sun blind while I had an assistant hit the button. I lifted the ends up about an inch on either side, but the center of the blind will not pull out of the recess. While I hold the ends up, when the button is pressed, the blind retracts rather than lifting up. I can probably yank it out of there if I pull hard enough, but I'm afraid I'm going to break it. Is this something like you all experienced when pulling out the blind?

brian5 03-23-2020 04:59 AM

If the blind motor is still working, you should hear it and feel it trying to move, when the button is pressed, if there is no movement or sound at all, then there will probably be a fault in either the fuse, switch, wiring, or motor. I don't know off hand which fuse operates the blind, but I would start from there.

Wingrider 03-23-2020 07:17 AM

Mine was like most here, i pulled on it gently, while my wife pushed the button.:icon_steer:
I now also leave it up, putting it down occasionally.:icon_poop:
Otherwise the procedure needs to be repeated:icon_shrug:

Brewster411 03-23-2020 02:01 PM

The motor is working.

Originally Posted by brian5 (Post 2207767)
If the blind motor is still working, you should hear it and feel it trying to move, when the button is pressed, if there is no movement or sound at all, then there will probably be a fault in either the fuse, switch, wiring, or motor. I don't know off hand which fuse operates the blind, but I would start from there.