XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Swooshing water noise from passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Swooshing water noise from passenger door

hello,

To my surprise this morning I clearly heard water swooshing from by passenger side. it sounded like water in a bottle being swayed back and forth.

I stopped my car and opened the passenger door, I rocked it back and forth and yes there was water inside. I looked under the door to see if there was a plug. I came across the rubber seals at the bottom and I saw that it was held by I clip. I pulled it out slightly and water poured out like crazy.
my question is how did this happen? I checked all around the door rubber seals and did not see a humid spots , they all look good. is there a drain plug beneath?

I recently replaced my cabin filter and I cleaned the bay area as this tends to fill up with leaves and what not.

Any help is appreciated.

enjoy your day

luigi

Old 07-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The drain holes on the bottom of the door can eventually get clogged with debris. This is rainwater that enters along the bottom edge of the side windows. The drain holes are pretty easy to find and clear. Best to check all 4 doors.

The following 2 users liked this post by rhankey:
Don B (07-08-2015), Louenigma (07-14-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

About 18 months ago I checked my door drains. There are two per door, and they are really very small and easily blocked. Fortunately, mine were clear !

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (07-08-2015), Louenigma (07-14-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello and thanx for your reply,

But for the love of me I cant locate these drain holes. ive checked underneath the door and there is nothing that ressembles a hole or a plug. Can you please tell me where exactly they are ? is your jag a 2005 xj?

thanx again

Luigi

Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If I remember correctly, the drain holes are right next to or pass through the rubber weather seal. As mentioned by Fraser, there are two per door. They were very easy for me to find when a couple of my doors had filled with water.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-08-2015)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me. Its now happened twice. Jaguar tell me its 'an environmental issue' and not a design fault. Clearly there is a problem with their doors that they are refusing to acknowledge. All 4 doors have at some point filled with water. The service centre told me they had to clear the drainage holes.

I have also been told by JaguarUK that this is not a warranty issue and that they may not resolve it next time. One door had to have its electrics rebuilt because they had corroded.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, oh, can I join this club?

I'e spent the last couple of days cleaning, clay barring, polishing and waxing, (which I'm currently in the middle of), my 03 XJ6 and when I opened up the drivers side rear door I noticed that the sill / kick plate was damp with condensation and rocking the door open and shut made a sloshing noise, just as the OP described.

A quick Google search for the drain hole location brought me inevitably here.

Now I've finished my cigarette I'll get down on the ground and see if I can find one of these elusive drain holes and hopefully I'll have a wire coat hanger in the house somewhere.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Three down, one to go, (I had to stop because dinner was ready).

It's a moderately time consuming job, say around 10 minutes per door, but easy enough to do so long as the bright summer sun isn' shining right in your eyes!

I used a thin metal arm from one of my daughter's mobiles, (the baby toys that hang from the ceiling), but the job would have been easier using bendable welding / filament rods, which are of course sort cheap to buy a pack of.

Don't go doing this job in your Sunday best, as you will get dirty. And brace yourself for a face full of dirty stagnant water.

Even if you don' yet have a swimming pool in your doors, I'd definatly recommend cleaning out your drain holes. I only had a swimming pool in one of my rear doors, but the other drain holes in the others doors were all pretty gunked up.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Jaguar /Ford have been making cars for a hundred years and they can't get that right!

Old 04-16-2020, 07:43 AM
Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

Any chance one of you could post a picture of the drain holes? I just have the same problem and knowing exactly where to go would be nice.

Thanks - Randy

Old 04-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Received 148 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by worzella
Any chance one of you could post a picture of the drain holes? I just have the same problem and knowing exactly where to go would be nice.

Thanks - Randy

A little clarity on this

The door weatherstrip in question is the long straight piece at the bottom of the door

The drain holes are at each end of the door. Horrible design since the holes in the rubber are way to small and over time the rubber contracts and the hole in the rubber slides away from the hole

My solution. Clean out the drain hole in the door itself and then with a razor knife and surgical clamp I cut out a big hole on each of the strips on all four doors. Now I can see the hole in the door itself and will add “Clean door holes” to my periodic maint

Cheers. Hope this helps others!

Old 04-19-2020, 10:48 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Its not isolated to Jags, the wifes Mazda 6/Atenza has exactly the same problem, Mazda use a rubber flap inserted into the drain holes, I just removed the useless things a few years ago, no problems now.