XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tire Opinion: Michelin AS3+ ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts
Cool Tire Opinion: Michelin AS3+ ????

Anyone tried the new Michelin AS3+ tires on your Jag?

I'm about to replace the tires on my '07 XJR, and have been planning to go with Conti DWS 6, but recently read that the new Michelins are even better. I'm just not sure if they're suited for a big Jag.

Any opinions?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Michelin tyres are perfectly OK, but are costly

The following users liked this post:
hisport (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks, Fraser

Michelin makes dozens of tire types; some are not suited for heavy, powerful touring vehicles

I looked at Tire Rack reviews on the AS3+ (a UHP all season), and - while overall ratings are good - most fitments are on smaller cars

My current XJR tires are Conti Sport Contacts; noisy and worn. I have Conti DWS6 (another UHP all season) on my BMW M3; they are fine, but also a bit noisy from new

Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have just purchased Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. Very quiet with good tread pattern.

Not cheap at $300 a piece.

hisport (07-23-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I have those exact Michelin's and I am very very happy with them. Very quiet and good traction. I would buy them again & again. I have around 5k on them on a new set and they are great. My old set got me 30k mi and I only replaced them bc I hit a pothole and damaged 2 tires so I decided to get a new set. The old set were only slightly noiser than new.

The following 2 users liked this post by pkoko:
hisport (07-21-2017), PeteK812 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks Pkoko

That was just the sort of feedback I've been looking for

I will order a set (about $1050 at Costco)

john

Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm using BF Goodrich g-force comp-2 A/S, they're cheaper than Michelins and have better snow traction, they're better in the dry than the Continental DWS.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagsteRJX:
hisport (07-23-2017), PeteK812 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Thanks Tommy and RJX

The Pirelli all season has v high reviews on Tire Rack, but I've had bad luck in the past with Pirellis; ditto Goodrich. They seem to get noisy as they wear (for me, anyway). I once replaced a set of PZero tires at 8K because they moaned so badly

Also, the AS3+ has a 45K mile warranty. I never seem to get more than 20K out of decent street tires, and Costco swears a straight prorate

There's some interesting things going on right now with tire chemistry/technology. Believe the AS3+ may be one of the newer breeds

I'll post my review on this forum (will be driving cross country next month)

Old 07-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced my tires about 2,000 miles ago with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40 x 19 and have to say they are great. They are great in the dry and excellent in the wet. The ride is good and they are quiet. They were expensive but were less expensive than comparable Conti Extreme Contact DWS and Pirelli Nero's. I was able to get a good deal from my mechanic and the Michelin rep so that also swayed my choice. I have had Conti Extreme Contact DWS on 2 other cars and can not fault them. I have Hankook Ventus on my older MB E500 (140K miles and still going strong) and can testify that they are also a good choice.

Some have advocated using the cheapest tires that can be found. As they only thing connecting us and the road, I think this is an unwise choice. Wet road holding was my first priority and all of the tires I have used are very good at all of them. I think the Michelin's are exceptionally good, but they are the ones on the car now so I might be biased.

I remember having Michelin's on my 1976 VW Scirocco as original equipment. When they wore out, I replaced them with Vredstein because they were much cheaper than Michelins. They were inferior in every way to the Michelins and I regretted not being able to afford better tires. They felt like the road was always covered in butter, especially in the rain. Ever since then, I've made sure I got good rubber that can handle wet roads.

BTW, tires are one of the most efficient fluid pumps ever devised. Good rain tires can move enough water in one minute to fill 600 bathtubs!

The following 3 users liked this post by Dr John:
hisport (07-23-2017), pkoko (11-17-2017), Rudedog (07-26-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks, Doc

I asked a couple of tire shop managers about customer feedback on, say, Michelin vs Continental, and both said that feedback is consistently good on high line (read: expensive) tires, but cheap tires (which many people put on even decent cars) get the vast majority of complaints (esp Chinese tires).

I'm always amused by $5000 worth of wheels with $89 tires on a $1500 beater

Lots of ways to save $ on car ownership (eg DIY repairs), but I've also found that cheap tires are really a false economy. Nothing makes more difference in car performance and satisfaction than great tires, IMHO

Appreciate the AS3+ review: That's what I'm going with too

Rudedog (07-26-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by hisport

Lots of ways to save $ on car ownership (eg DIY repairs), but I've also found that cheap tires are really a false economy. Nothing makes more difference in car performance and satisfaction than great tires, IMHO
I learned that many years ago. I purchased a new 1976 VW Scirocco and it came with Michelin X tires on it. When they wore out I replaced them with Vredstein tires. They were less than half the price of new Michelin's. They were OK in the dry but not as good as the Michelin's but in the rain, it was as if someone buttered the road. It was the worst "savings" I ever made.

Go with the best and you will be happy with them without the regrets.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Same thing is true only more so with motorcycle tires, Michelin Commander II's are the best tires i've EVER had on any of my bikes. Their mounted on all four of my Wings, sadly their made in Vietnam, but they are absolutely the best i've ever seen.

pkoko (11-17-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Time to jump start this thread again.

Following up after 6 months with Michelin Pilot Sport a/s3+ tires. Couldn't be happier with them. Wet and dry traction are great and stopping is sure and direct. Would recommend them to anyone. Michelin didn't get as big as they are without making a good product.

Slightly off topic, I recently put Cooper tires (All Terrain for the snow) on my beater jeep (my winter XJ) and have been very impressed with them. They replaced a set of Firestones and the wet and dry traction are superb. Cooper has been around for a while but I never considered them as "real tires" until I read the Jeep Cherokee forums and high praise for them. They are good and reasonably priced. Good value and good product.

Again, have to praise all of the forums for good advice from lots of people that really care and don't have a monetary interest in selling you something.

pkoko (11-17-2017)