XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Totaled my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled my baby :(

So I hit a bear last week in my (formerly) pristine 04 VDP, and the insurance company says the repair estimate is too close to allow for any potential hidden damage supplements, and they're totaling the car. It's all sheet metal damage on the driver's side. No airbag deployment, runs & drives fine etc.

I disagree with their assessment, but there is no other option unless I buy it back at salvage value and fix it myself, but of course then I have a salvage title... and even used parts are high here in the states. UGH! so sad

Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

its minor ! buy it regardless . its two to three panels a light , and some trim .
talk to SNG barrot , or jag bits . the parts are priced well .
the tittle is just a pice of paper or a computer note . it means nothing sean as you have photographic evidence of how minor the damage was .
plus you know what you have your self so no purchase surprises .

Old 06-14-2017, 03:50 AM
Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Contact a jag Breakers and get some prices for parts then make a decision but as datsport said I would buy it back and if your handy with spanners this is a relatively simple job

Old 06-14-2017, 04:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how insurance companies work in USA but in similar case I would have negotiated with insurance to keep the car and receive reduced remuneration. If it goes for public sale, you might not be able to predict the price or get it for a reasonable value.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you like the car and want to keep it, buy it back and don't worry about the word salvage on the title. Search Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for used parts preferably in OEM correct paint so the parts swap is easier.

Last edited by 06-XJR; 06-14-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Sucks, dude. I agree with others. Buy it back and get it fixed, assuming no frame damage.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default I would buy it and drive it.

Originally Posted by Jtmears
So I hit a bear last week in my (formerly) pristine 04 VDP, and the insurance company says the repair estimate is too close to allow for any potential hidden damage supplements, and they're totaling the car. It's all sheet metal damage on the driver's side. No airbag deployment, runs & drives fine etc.

I disagree with their assessment, but there is no other option unless I buy it back at salvage value and fix it myself, but of course then I have a salvage title... and even used parts are high here in the states. UGH! so sad

I would gorilla tape a headlight on it and drive as is. When parking at Walmart everyone will give you room to get in and out on the drivers side.
It is sad, the car looks like it was in great condition. Share what you collect from insurance. It may not cover a rebuild. People that can repair this damage maybe can restore for the settlement.
The door damage is troubling, the body may be warped. That is a total.

Last edited by Panelhead; 06-14-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Keep us up-to-date on your progress; I'm sure we'll all be interested to know how you get on.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Have you thought don't go through the insurance company and just repair it yourself

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Oh believe me, I've been shopping for parts... I'd do anything within reason to keep this car because it was in my family for many years and I love it to death.

That said, 2 doors, a fender, a hood, and last but not least, that f***ing $1600 xenon headlight all add up. There aren't many of these cars near where I live and the parts + shipping are high $$.

Insurance payout is just under 10k. I can re-purchase at salvage value for $2500. Parts alone add up to about 5k and that's not including paint or potential hidden damage like busted brackets and wiring harnesses or whatever. It's very close, and I'm sure someone could fix it, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I'm still on the fence, but I'd have to find more reasonably priced parts. I'm super OCD And refuse to half-*** it.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

It a remove and replace job. Unlike rear end damage that requires special repair. Shop used parts. many front end parts available.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 PM

That is a tough choice

Old 06-14-2017, 06:37 PM

The problem is I can't just have this thing sitting in my driveway until I find more reasonably priced parts. I live in a neighborhood with strict HOA rules. All vehicles have to have current registration, which by state law includes insurance. And I can't get insurance again until it has been repaired enough to pass the state safety inspection.

I also can't really move it unless I buy it back. The insurance estimate has the current mileage recorded, and I don't want to risk something else happening in the interim. I tend to be a bit unlucky! So at this point there's no way to get an estimate on potential frame damage, which I doubt it has, but thats still a big unknown with the door damage.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,266 Likes on 7,373 Posts

Something else to consider. ( I have an intense dislike for the cellar dwelling trolls) aka insurance co. adjusters/appraisers. They'll deliberately lowball the value of your car just to get rid of you and go back to their cellars.
Find an experienced auto appraiser and have them do research on the "TRUE" value of your car. Ask if they are court certified professionals who have testified and won cases in court on disputes such as you might have.
You very well could find your car's "TRUE" value higher and it just "may" (no guarantees though) put it over the threshold of the trolls appraisal which could very well end up having it fixed at their expense.

Also, I had a dispute with an insurance co. on their perceived value of my car..(Black '86 Olds 442 fully equipped) They had it at $1,000 value for collision. (My comments cannot be printed here). This is where I got a professional appraiser to do the research and he gave it a value of $8,600. Then the insurance co. had their outside appraiser value the car and he gave it a value of $10,000 which is what was on the policy for collision.

Sooo, if you want to get your car professionally appraised (again, no guarantees) it just may be worth it.
Ask the hoa if they can give you some leeway for a while because of your circumstances.
Good luck

Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try LKQonline for parts, I've used them they are regional to our area and have A LOT of parts. When I used them the shipping was reasonable, for a PS pump anyway.

https://www.lkqonline.com/Jaguar/Xj/...y/+i~153917166
wrong side and not available but just an example, HID in Jenkinsville, GA so shipping shouldn't be bad, $900

Last edited by Muleears; 06-15-2017 at 05:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Datsports (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

So I hit a bear last week in my (formerly) pristine 04 VDP .....
That's not a line you read every day! We've had a few deer strikes but I think you've got the first bear.

Insurance companies are writing off aluminium bodied Jaguars with the kind of damage they wouldn't think twice about repairing on a steel bodied model.

JAGUAR - Aluminium Body Repairs.pdf

Certainly some pressure from Jaguar in these recommendations.

Graham

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default My thoughts

The problem is I can't just have this thing sitting in my driveway until I find more reasonably priced parts. I live in a neighborhood with strict HOA rules. All vehicles have to have current registration, which by state law includes insurance. And I can't get insurance again until it has been repaired enough to pass the state safety inspection.

I also can't really move it unless I buy it back. The insurance estimate has the current mileage recorded, and I don't want to risk something else happening in the interim. I tend to be a bit unlucky! So at this point there's no way to get an estimate on potential frame damage, which I doubt it has, but thats still a big unknown with the door damage.
The 10K payout sounds fair. I missed the mileage on this class ride, what is it?
If not a daily driver, rent a storage building to store car and parts. There are 1,000's here, 150.00/month should get a climate controlled one large enough.
Alternate path is buy another total with other damage and rob parts. That will be way cheaper than individual parts. This removes possible damage from shipping the aluminum body panels. Will require a larger storage shed for two cars. Maybe 250.00 a month.
If you need a car to drive, taking the 10K and buying another is the path of least resistance.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

IMHO, $10K is a fair payoff

You can replace this car for that amount, though you may need to travel to pick it up

I lived in a similar neighborhood in Wilmington (Landfall), and know the drill

Salvage title makes new insurance, etc tough, plus v poor resale value (if you care)

Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I think you were offered a fair settlement. And also from what I see the parts needing replacement are all bolt on. Front panel and two doors. Well worth tearing it apart and seeing what's underneath. I suspect a bit of subframe/light mount or cross member in the front to replace, but after that a fresh coat of paint for all and your good to go.

There should be plently of junkyard parts available at very reasonable prices for your car.

and keep us all informed of your progree
RyeJag

Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlight woes no more

Don't worry about the headlight replacement too much, I recently did a full replacement on both sides of my 07 XJ8. Both ballast units plus two new 6000k Bulbs ran me less than $500 CAD. Amazon is your friend here, ballasts are either LAD5GL or LAD5G for 2004.5 and prior jags (iirc). Best of luck!