XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transmission Fault and Coolant Low, Related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Fault and Coolant Low, Related?

Hello all,
I've been visiting this great information source for about two years. About then I purchase a 2004 XJ8 with 36,000 miles. It may be TMI but a little about my auto history seems appropriate. This is the third Jag I've owned but the only modern. I restored a 75 XJC and a 70 XJ6. I've also owned an Austin Healey Sprite, an Austin Marina and I restored an Austin Healey 100-4. This is my only British car now and so much electronic controllery is a little confounding to me.

I've used the knowledge here to flush the heater core and replace the auxiliary pump in the hopes of warm driver's side air. I have more work to do here but this may come into play with the trouble lights. The "coolant low" light comes on and off randomly both before and after I flushed the system. At first I thought it might be caused by air trapped in the system but I haven't worked and solving that issue.

The bigger issue (maybe) is the Transmission Fault light. It has been appearing occasionally but not often for a year. In the last six months it has been happening more frequently. No just recently, the tranny would not upshift if I stopped. I would stop, turn the car off, restart and all would be fine for the duration of that drive, whether 1 mile or 30. At the same time the tranny situation got worse, the amber engine light started staying on.

Today I checked for error codes on the OBD with a generic tester. The only error code was a 5-6 Shift Malfunction P0829.

So I suspect I need to purchase a more suitable OBD tester if I plan on working on the car myself. I'll scan the forums for recommendations.

My question is, since I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed, would that be a good place to start? Also, would the transmission issue be the cause of the amber engine light?

Thanks for any insight!
Dan
Olathe, KS