XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Trunk wil not open on 08 XJ; actuator engages.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk wil not open on 08 XJ; actuator engages.

I cannot lift my trunk lid (on my 08 XJ) to an open position even though I can hear the actuator engaging when using either the FOB, the release button within the car, or the rear button on the trunk. I even attempted to use my key to open the trunk.

It does appear the trunk releases very slightly; yet, I cannot open/lift it. I can push down on it and then have the actuator lock it tightly again. After attempting (activating the actuator) to open it, I do receive the message on the dash alerting me the trunk is open although I cannot lift the lid.

My guess would be the internal latch itself. This raises the question: how do I get into the trunk since it will not open?

I have seen posts where folks mentioned to put a screw-driver into the right lower license plate hole so as to push in a tab to release the trunk. My car does not have lower license plate holes; secondly, there is a metal plate about 1/2 inch in when I checked the top hole.

I have also seen posts where someone provided measurements as to where to drill a hole behind the center of the plate whereby one can trip a release bar or something.

Anyone know specifically how to open it on an 08 XJ?

Assistance/Advice is appreciated.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It could be that your hydraulic struts might be worn out, and the dead weight of the lid is causing the lid to remain partially latched. Try pressing the trunk button while helping lift the lid open with your hand.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

[QUOTE=Doberman_Fan;1487272 I even attempted to use my key to open the trunk.
[/QUOTE]

Puzzled why you cannot open with the key? How much rotation do you get with key? You will feel resistance but keep turning to ~90 degrees and it should unlock. Depending how good your struts are you might have to assist in raising the trunk lid. Let us know if that works.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 AM

One would have hoped & thought what you mentioned would work; but, the key definitely did not work. There was less than a quarter of an inch of rise & I was able to push the lid back down and see plus hear it lock again.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Want to thank those that replied to my question. I took my XJ to an authorized Jaguar service facility (C & C Automotive in Augusta, GA). The trunk is now open & I will have the new part in hand within 2 days to install. It did require the removal of the rear license plate and the drilling of a few small holes behind it until the correct spot was achieved so as to manually release the latch. The location for the hole for my XJ was not exactly in the same spot as others noted for what I believe was an X-380. Anyway, the problem was the actuator. Even though the motor was operational; something was wrong with the latching mechanism. Purchased a new actuator (Part #: 2W93F43200 AD) for $246 with shipping included from the Jaguar dealership in Columbia, SC. I will attempt to get more specifics from the service person as to where exactly the correct hole was drilled & what was engaged internally to open the trunk. Maybe the info will benefit someone down the road.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Please post a photo of the hole that worked.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Default Picture of Hole Location on XJ to open Trunk

A picture is attached showing the correct hole a technician drilled to get into my 08 XJ's trunk. It is the one displayed in the picture located on the bottom within the green tape. If one looks into the hole with a flashlight, you will see a cable or lever which glows in the dark. It is the cable/lever which feeds from the emergency handle within the trunk providing access so a person can get out if locked within. An L shaped pick was inserted through the hole to pull the lever. It took a few times; but, one will eventually get it.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk wil not open on 08 XJ; actuator engages.-correct-hole.jpg