XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Updated nav map DVD sources?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Updated nav map DVD sources?

So, I searched the forums (like a good noob should) and didn't find anything... I've been to the Jag site and they're selling a 2011-2012 map disc for $199. Now, since I just bought a lifetime of map updates for the Garmin on my motorcycle and thought that was a good value, it makes Jag's price for their newest map seem a little out of line. I know, I know, it's shocking that Jaguar pricing would be double the market norm...

So, I'm just curious, does anyone know of a source for reasonably priced maps for we Jagonistas?

I know some of you might be tempted to post a link to Rand-McNally's two dimensional map store so, if it makes ya feel better, go ahead

Cheers!
Vance

Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, that is the best price I have been able to find.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Nalley Jaguar 15% off parts + free shipping

Vendor: Nalley Jaguar has a banner advertising 15% off and free shipping, however using the link it appears that they are not selling Jag's anymore. I remember the parts manager posting a message he was moving. Anyone know whats up with that?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

This site has Jaguar discs, but only UK and Europe is listed, but they may be able to help. Give them a call or e-mail. I bought my latest disc from them; service excellent.

2011 - 2012 SAT NAV NAVIGATION DISCS CD/DVD £25

The following users liked this post:
Rojie (04-20-2013)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Default Found Nalley update from July' 12

Nalley Jaguar Gone From Atlanta
Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta (Roswell) was recently purchased by Hennessy Auto Group. The former Nalley operations were moved to the Hennessy NorthPoint Land Rover / Jaguar dealership on Holcomb Bridge Road in Roswell. That's a short distance from Nalley's previous location, which was closed. Some of the former Nalley employees are now employed by Hennessy.

It appears that Nalley's Greenville, SC Jaguar dealership is continuing to offer discounts on parts.

Last edited by edobernig; 07-24-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't looked into my XJ's nav discs too closely, but what I have done in the past with my Volvo's nav updates is: I find someone on the opposite coast that wants to split the cost of the upgrade, I take the west coast disc and they take the east coast disc. Something to think about.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexD
I haven't looked into my XJ's nav discs too closely, but what I have done in the past with my Volvo's nav updates is: I find someone on the opposite coast that wants to split the cost of the upgrade, I take the west coast disc and they take the east coast disc. Something to think about.
Jaguar Nav is one DVD for the whole USA, so not an option.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

seen this for $53

2012 JAGUAR XJ, X&S-TYPE GPS NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DVD for sale

while it looks like you get a 2012 DVD -how Original it might be is another question.......

The following 3 users liked this post by txbrit:
edobernig (07-30-2012), tmurray (08-10-2012), VegasVP (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I gave the iOffer link a try. I'll let you know if it works. I don't know if I've ever been through a more convoluted checkout process. I apparently created an account with iOffer sometime in the past and finally had to create a new one with a different email address after giving up on getting in with my old account. Then there was no way to opt-out of receiving spam at the end of the checkout process, so I had to go back and create yet abnother account with a spam-trap address before I completed the transaction.

Then, the item is advertised as "shipping included." The invoice they sent said the total was $53.10, then they charged me $3.60 for shipping at checkout. Nothing about this seems very legit.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM

I just ordered one too, we'll have fun comparing notes on the results

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Retrofit nab

Just purchased a 2005 jag xk8 with alpine system. Thinking of puting in nav. Any ideas if it should be a jag system or other. Is there a challenge with getting it in my dash (like a factory installed system)? Any cost input would all be appreciated

Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how it goes...

TBH I am torn - my car has the 2009-10 DVD in it, and I loathe to get the update as all the roads round my house are in process of being torn up as part of a long term project that won't complete until next year.

On top of that I have a Garmin that I use for travel - by and large I don't use it when I am local

Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know when the next Satnav update is due?
Milky

Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Default Looks like three of us jumped in

Originally Posted by VegasVP
I just ordered one too, we'll have fun comparing notes on the results
Ordered one Saturday. Another Jaguar adventure.

Regarding removing or changing the radio: Don't think that's possible because the HVAC controls are integrated into the factory unit.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Milky
Anyone know when the next Satnav update is due?
Milky
My best guess is... 2013. Since the disks are 2009-2010 (the one I currently use) and the current OEM update is 2011-2012 (the one I just ordered) I'd guess the next one will be released in 2013.

...on another note, I had some e-mail communication with the seller of the $56 nav-disk and it's a copy of the current update, not a new OEM. He says he owns a small dealership and uses these disks in the Jags he sells that arrive w/o updates and has never had a problem. I believe the disk is a 'bootleg' or other 'ripped' copy of a current update disk although the seller didn't say that outright. He says the disk is new, un-scratched and will arrive in a paper sleve, not the 'jewel box' case that the OEM disk comes in...

Honestly, I don't care what the package looks like, as long as the maps are legit and it doesn't blow up my sat-nav Saving $140 over Mr. Tata's store is more than worth the 'gamble' for me...

Fingers crossed

Cheers!
Vance

Last edited by VegasVP; 07-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vance

I think I will wait until next year to get the 2013 update. I have visited the web page mentioned by Fraser Mitchell and will buy from them.

Milky

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Well, the new disk is in hand and, while I haven't used it to find a destination, I did zoom in on the new bridge which bypasses Boulder Dam and... it was there!

So, I don't know if they're 'authorized' copies (probably not) but the one delivered to me for $56.xx (versus $199+tax & shipping from Jag) looks the part and seems to play the part as well. It honestly looks like a legit OEM disk with the embossed label printed on the face of the disk...

I'd recommend the disk to anybody looking to update their maps for 75% off retail. I'll keep using it and will definitely let you know if that opinion changes but for now, the Guinea Pig has spoken
Thanks to txbrit for the lead on this!

Cheers,
Vance

The following 5 users liked this post by VegasVP:
edobernig (08-04-2012), jeff (08-22-2012), Louis McMahon III (09-15-2013), Rojie (04-20-2013), XJL (08-06-2014)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I also received my disc, but I think I screwed up. I opened the trunk to put the new disc in, but unlike my BMW the key apparently has to be on to eject a disc. I walked up front, turned the key on, walked back and ejected the old disc. Through the glass I saw the nav screen read "Insert Nav Disc." I put the new disc in, walked back and got in the car and for some reasom decided to start it. Right as I turned the key the nav screen flashed "uploading new software." The screen then went blank as the car started and it never came back. The temp display below the screen only shows the right side temp and the outside temp blinks on and off.

Any ideas?

vacmail (11-17-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcgann
I also received my disc, but I think I screwed up. I opened the trunk to put the new disc in, but unlike my BMW the key apparently has to be on to eject a disc. I walked up front, turned the key on, walked back and ejected the old disc. Through the glass I saw the nav screen read "Insert Nav Disc." I put the new disc in, walked back and got in the car and for some reasom decided to start it. Right as I turned the key the nav screen flashed "uploading new software." The screen then went blank as the car started and it never came back. The temp display below the screen only shows the right side temp and the outside temp blinks on and off.

Any ideas?
According to the following site, you'll need to remove the DVD, turn the key off, turn it back on and re-insert the DVD. It's for an X-Type, but hopefully it'll work on an XJ as well.

Jaguar x-type Navigation System Diagnostics

gmcgann (08-04-2012)

Quick Reply: Updated nav map DVD sources?