XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

water pump bolts (2) don't come out, 04 Jaguar XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default water pump bolts (2) don't come out, 04 Jaguar XJ8

Hi guys I need help,

My water pump was leaking and I decided to replace it myself since the Jaguar dealer was charging me $695 for parts and labor. I got a new one from advance Advance Auto parts store brand carquest for$80. No a difficult job but I encounter a problem that is time consuming. Two of the water pump bolts don't come out, I tried a bolt extractor socket # 8 mm and the screw extractor to drill it which by the way does not penetrate the bolt also I cracked to 8 mm sockets in the process getting the other ones out and it is frustrating. My next step would be using a chisel to try to cut the bolt's head off or an electric cut off tool. I must say that I have removed the cooling fan so I have room to work.

Any advise will help me, Please see picture attached

Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I may be wrong here however the black bolts on my water pump were to hold the two piece water pump together and do not go thru to the engine block.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

There are a total of 5 or 6 bolts holding the water pump to the block. Match up the holes on your replacement pump to the one currently on the engine.

One or two bolts on the bottom are hard to see from the top. There is one bolt bottom center.

If the bolts your referring to are indeed bolts holding the pump onto the block try not to round those heads off.

Put some heat on them and use a 6 point socket.

I rounded one of mine off and luckily I was able to get my Dremel in and cut the bolt head off, which heated the rest of the bolt up when I removed the pump assembly I was able to twist the bolt out by hand.

Bolt out kit will not work.

Torque is 8Nm + 90 degrees on V8

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Don B (02-13-2019), rf69 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by abonano
There are a total of 5 or 6 bolts holding the water pump to the block. Match up the holes on your replacement pump to the one currently on the engine.

One or two bolts on the bottom are hard to see from the top. There is one bolt bottom center.

If the bolts your referring to are indeed bolts holding the pump onto the block try not to round those heads off.

Put some heat on them and use a 6 point socket.

I rounded one of mine off and luckily I was able to get my Dremel in and cut the bolt head off, which heated the rest of the bolt up when I removed the pump assembly I was able to twist the bolt out by hand.

Bolt out kit will not work.

Torque is 8Nm + 90 degrees on V8
Yes, same here,, I had to use my Dremel in and cut the bolt head off and I was able to twist the bolt out by hand. Now my new pump came with a gasket but not an O-ring and people are saying that the O-ring it's not necessary with the new pumps

Old 02-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Correct if you have the metal gasket no need for an o ring. Ensure the block surface is clean and dry. Some say use sealant on metal gasket surface for extra protection but is not necessary.

Be sure to torque bolts to correct spec.

Don't force the bolt +90 deg.

Actually +30 to +45 deg turn is sufficient once you get to the 8Nm spec.

Whoever installed the pump over torqued the bolts, hence why they didn't come out. I personally used a small dab of anti seize when installing mine and another reason why I tended not to over torque the bolts as anti seize can mimic lowered torque values making you over tighten

Last edited by abonano; 02-14-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Don B (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Correct if you have the metal gasket no need for an o ring. Ensure the block surface is clean and dry. Some say use sealant on metal gasket surface for extra protection but is not necessary.

Be sure to torque bolts to correct spec.

Don't force the bolt +90 deg.

Actually +30 to +45 deg turn is sufficient once you get to the 8Nm spec.

Whoever installed the pump over torqued the bolts, hence why they didn't come out. I personally used a small dab of anti seize when installing mine and another reason why I tended not to over torque the bolts as anti seize can mimic lowered torque values making you over tighten
I have a new problem !!!!
I have installed the pump, no leaks but now the car temperature goes up and the radiator fan did not stop for a while after I turned off the car.
Whats going on ? Is it the thermostat or the fan or the water pump

Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Thermostat & housing, fixed mine when it did the same thing.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Did you purge the cooling system of trapped air. There is a procedure for that...

Don B (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Did you purge the cooling system of trapped air. There is a procedure for that...
No I didn’t, I just replaced the water pump and serpentine belt , and added 50/50 antifreeze.
i also took a look and the engine cap and it looks like oil but something else is going on .

Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by rf69

No I didn’t, I just replaced the water pump and serpentine belt , and added 50/50 antifreeze.
i also took a look and the engine cap and it looks like oil but something else is going on .
Thank you for all your advise, now I need to know how to fix that overheating problem, I am frustrated so far.

My thermostat was fine before replacing the water pump I don't see why it is bad now if that's the case.

I noticed that my antifreeze do not change the color to orange like it used to do.

I think there is an air lock in the system, I will try to bleed the system through the plug on top of the coolant reservoir and see what happens

Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Thank you for all your advise, now I need to know how to fix that overheating problem, I am frustrated so far.

My thermostat was fine before replacing the water pump I don't see why it is bad now if that's the case.

I noticed that my antifreeze do not change the color to orange like it used to do.

I think there is an air lock in the system, I will try to bleed the system through the plug on top of the coolant reservoir and see what happens
I bleeded the coolant fluid through the plug on the coolant reservoir , no more overheating so far , I’ll buy a thermostat to have it handy .

Now I see a little leak coming down from the water pump on the engine wall behind the water pump pulley so I don’t know why , it’s not a running down leak but it’s a little wet spot .

Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

They are best bought already installed in the housing, not easy to install like many other cars.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM

I have a new problem !!!!
I have installed the pump, no leaks but now the car temperature goes up and the radiator fan did not stop for a while after I turned off the car.
Whats going on ? Is it the thermostat or the fan or the water pump
temperature is back to normal, I bleeded the system through the coolant reservoir plug

Don B (02-19-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

When all else fails, read the instructions.
Glad things cooled off