XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Weird loud droning noise for a few minutes after startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Weird loud droning noise for a few minutes after startup

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? It just started last night and is RPM dependent. It does it even at idle in park. We were out for the night and I noticed it stopped after a couple of miles. I just went out to the garage and started it and heard the noise again. It sounds like it's coming from the lower left hand side of the engine bay when looking under the hood from the front. No warning lights and the car drives normally.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM

Did some digging and it sounds likely it's just the idler pulley. I'll replace it this afternoon.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Actually still need some advice here. Got it replaced but that wasn't the problem. Something is up with the alternator. It must be close to seizing up because it keeps kicking the belt over two ribs and continues to run, but makes a horrible howling sound and smells burnt electrical. I guess it's time for a new alternator.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default my wife's car was water pump

Originally Posted by Torrid
Actually still need some advice here. Got it replaced but that wasn't the problem. Something is up with the alternator. It must be close to seizing up because it keeps kicking the belt over two ribs and continues to run, but makes a horrible howling sound and smells burnt electrical. I guess it's time for a new alternator.
squealing on startup. Thought the tensioner or idler. Water pump was covered with red crystals.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 PM

I did think so too. The noise was coming from from the lower left hand side near the idler so I went for that. After replacement I started the car and saw the belt wasn't seated on the alternator pulley. I couldn't believe I would have messed that up. I shut down and realigned the belt. Started and it happened again. Water pump is fine, no leaks to note and no temp issues. Alternator smells terrible when running. I'm not feeling up to the swap after the idler replacement. What a pain. I thought it was straightforward until I realized there was an A/C line dead center in front of the idler bolt since I have 4 zone climate control.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:54 PM

The dealer will be doing this job. After seeing it requires loosening a motor mount and lifting the motor a bit to replace it I don't trust a regular shop or myself to touch it. Also the part wasn't cheap because I didn't want a rebuilt alternator. Early year ouch. I thought there was supposed to be a benefit of not having a car payment.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you found the problem. For future noise diagnostics I have found an automotive stethoscope invaluable for tracking down noises.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-M.../dp/B0002SQYSM

Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM

I'll keep that in mind next time. All is well now. I had an under hood rattle that made me think my previous detonation issue was on its way back and that noise is now gone too. Anyone in Vegas that needs service I highly recommend Jaguar Land Rover Las Vegas. They were phenomenal. Service was fast and excellent. Labor cost wasn't completely crazy, but the alternator wasn't cheap. I found a lot of cheap rebuilds but I didn't feel comfortable going that route.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-19-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Would you mind sharing the exact cost and amount of labour time?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Labor was $495 which I didn't find to be too bad considering the work involved. List price for the alternator was $837, but if you wish to shop around, this is the spot where you could save some money. Total time the dealer was working on the car was about 2.5 hours. I believe it's listed as a 3 hour job.

RoonieQ (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? It just started last night and is RPM dependent. It does it even at idle in park. We were out for the night and I noticed it stopped after a couple of miles. I just went out to the garage and started it and heard the noise again. It sounds like it's coming from the lower left hand side of the engine bay when looking under the hood from the front. No warning lights and the car drives normally.
Well first thing I would have done is check to see if my wife was in the car.
Glad you got it sorted out Torrid.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM

Well it looks like the car is still attempting to toss the belt. All sounds are gone though. I'm going to go ahead and replace the belt.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Labor was $495 which I didn't find to be too bad considering the work involved. List price for the alternator was $837, but if you wish to shop around, this is the spot where you could save some money. Total time the dealer was working on the car was about 2.5 hours. I believe it's listed as a 3 hour job.
Cheers Torrid. And you weren't kidding about that alternator price...wow.

Last edited by RoonieQ; 01-22-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:17 PM

I think my belt trying to slip off is actually from the new idler pulley. I think I overtorqued it. I'm going to back it off and lightly resnug it and see if that fixes my belt jump. The pulley rotates smoothly but I think it's pulling it off center.

Don B (02-08-2017)