XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Polished headlight covers

My wife's /04 XJ8 has been getting a lot of 'love' lately what with suspension repairs and transmission service so as it crossed 120,000 miles this week I thought some cosmetic work would be in order.

I polished both low beam outboard covers with a different product this time as the previous attempts using Maguire's Restoration Plus kit have been good for no more than about 6 months. You'll see what I mean in the attached picture.

The product I used this time is Rustoleum's heavy duty headlight polishing kit available at your local Walmart for about $10 bucks. It contains 4 different 'grit' polishing discs and a smallish container of polishing/buffing compound used only at the last stage. I'll warn you that after you use the first two disc (800 & 1500 grit) you'll believe that you've screwed up royally as the yellow will disappear to be replaced by what you'll believe is a permanent fog. Keep going and after the 3rd disc (2000 grit) things will definitely look much better. The final buffing/polishing disc makes it all worth it I think as the result after maybe 15 minutes or so from per lens start to finish if pretty da*n good consider these lenses are now 15 years old.

I used an ancient 1000 rpm electric drill I've had for decades and followed the instructions to the letter. I also didn't try to use a lot of pressure and just let the equipment do its job.

The following users liked this post:
Etypephil (01-05-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancheroguy
I've programmed it to start the car, now to finish the FOB programing.
Hey Rancheroguy! Could you elaborate what you mean?..

As for me; I had an alternator fail on me a couple of weeks ago; so after calling the dealership for giggles pretty much to see what they’d quote me, I figured I’d try what others here did, raising the engine a bit from the bottom & getting the alternator out.

I had a couple of guys help that wanted to do it; I more so did all the WATCH work! Haha

We removed the Coolant reservoir & hoses, then the radiator fan & harnesses; then the serpentine belt, which had been on there since I got the car 4.5 years ago & much longer than that, all the the shroud from the under body, the right wheel & the wheel well; we were then able to get to th alternator from the front & back underside; we removed the motor mount, stuck a low profile jack under the oil pan & gave her a lift.

We were then able to get to the bolts to the alternator & slide it out towards the front where the gap was via the removed fan...

As for the alternator, I found 1 from a reputable & trust worthy seller on eBay that I’ve purchased from before; it was off of a wreck 2007 XJ8L with only 40,000 miles on it; I paid a mere $59 for the OEM barely (to me) used Alternator! The Serpetine belt was $29; Labor was $12.02 via Pizza

I did have to replace my battery, but that was still under warranty & I had to by coolant, & get that dialed in which took a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, the dealership,,,,,,,,,,,$1380 is what they quoted me for the Alternator & labor. Another specialty shop here quoted me $1,000, so I think I did pretty good!..

ALSO, this was several months ago I had these done, thanks to my guy @Evan Trinh I got some custom LED Fog lights; I wired them to the Park Lights, so they come on as DRLs...

He used my OEM Fog lights to make molds...

He wrapped them in leather, & the LED chips are pretty bright...

Last edited by Marque; 12-30-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: pics didn't upload
Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Etypephil -

I just wanted to write a thank you for your posts and especially the link to the jag chat site - which led to the auto catalog site and all the interesting details regarding my 05 super v8 performance, transmission, and other specs. In addition, posts on jag chat and jag forums led me to go to the ZF transmission site to learn about the ins and outs of this critical auto part. All of this helps a newbie like myself make better decisions maintaining my car. At minimum, I now know the terms and location of ZF transmission parts and can better understand forum discussion regarding the subject.

So - what did I do to my Jaguar today? I itemized the repairs that need to be done, large and small, and educated myself a bit on the more complicated items.
The entire list as I currently know -
Immediate -
Brakes, Rotors, and a sticky caliper on front passenger side.

Suspension - bushings and other parts related (not sure exact, my trusted mechanic reviewed them quickly w me - more education necessary).

Cooling - A/C worked fine this summer.

Heating - Typical common problem of driver side upper vent blowing cool air, rest of vents upper and lower are fine. Car heats up generally so I just closed the cool vents blowing in my face for now. LOL

Exterior - drivers side mirror replacement, rear driver side "rust" repair on back pillar started from a small paint chip at window edge.

Drivetrain - Now have 142 K , decision re transmission oil change at this point needs to be made. Pan has some rust around edges, so needs replacement "soon", no visible leaks at this time. Transmission operating normally. Posts around this point are instructive to say the least.
Advice - Should I change the pan/oil now?

Exhaust - Decent shape but beginning to show signs of wear. Mechanic says will need to be replaced in one entire piece front to back, so it's expensive. True?

General - Fog lights, front parking sensor just went out, driver side lower speaker not working, headliner at rear window corners dropping but otherwise in good shape.

What I've done so far since beginning ownership in April 2018 (6k so far) is a Strutmaster Eibach coil over (sorry purists, it needed to be a problem solved at a fixed price and timeframe), new 19inch A/S tires, new 18 inch rims and tires for summer, and an engine oil change.

Regardless of any market valuation weakness, I don't care - I didn't buy the car for its monetary value or potential - To me, these are just the coolest thing on the road and I want to keep it till it hits 200k. At about 10k per year that takes me to 2024 - at which point my son can chauffeur me around in his i-PACE.

Best Regards
Mike D.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadMaster2:
Etypephil (01-05-2019), MoabUtah (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Gave her a good quick detail!

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Nice work;
Pressure washed mine a few times, as well as vacuumed the carpets.
Nothing like detailing for me, i will be driving, or fixing something.
Working on keeping them running & working like new is about it for me.
Same with my bikes, they may be dirty looking.
But check the fluids, as well as how they start, & run.
These cars look great even when dirty, especially in white.
White looks better dirty than about any other color.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Had fun.

Blew the doors of a Camaro.....he wasnt happy......think it may have been the rain.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

They do like to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can top a hundred without realizing just how fast your going.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Banned

Cool, I have two of those from a Mustang I put into a ditch.....all 4 wheels off the ground......cars do not fly too well.....I’ve had the fans sitting around for a while now and was toying with the idea of putting them on the Jag.....was actually gonna put them on my Roush mounted to the underside of the hood to extract heat.....but I sold it.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wingrider
They do like to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can top a hundred without realizing just how fast your going.

Yea tell me about it.......they handle well to.
The aluminium build helps.....most people see that “big” Jag and don’t realise how light they are.....also what surprises others is how low they actually are .....roof height and sill height are both low.....you notice it when you park up next to small cars....lol

I gotta be careful the cops know me by name round here.......got caught doing a buck fifty a few years back in my Roush but they couldn’t do anything about it.......so I became a project.......I have a vanity plate that isn’t that hard to notice.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Unhappy Body shop visit

Damage to my bootlid on New Year's eve from a wind-dropped tree branch was worse than I thought after washing it off and looking at it in the sunshine. I thought the dents were softer, so might be massaged by a "dent doctor", but I was wrong. Called the insurance vendor, got the approval to head in to my preferred body shop. The estimate was $1008 USD, my part will be $100, but reduced by the fact that I don't need a rental while it's in the shop.
So, dropped it off Friday night for a Monday start date, and my wife dropped me off at my work truck parking location. Saturday I dropped by the parking location of my previous daily driver, 01 X308, discovered my leaper has leapt. Love to stumble across the dumb-*** who took it and rap him upside the head with it.
Sux2Bme.

Softer dents

Paint damage

Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Took a 200 mile road trip and half way through and on the way back, the temp gauge went into the red. I pulled over and checked under the hood, everything seemed ok. Once I got home, I decided to change the thermostat and burp the cooling system. Took it out for another drive and now all seems well.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Default Part-exd for a 2017 XE Portfolio AWD

Finally decided to downsize a bit, and when I saw a superb XE Portfolio in the local dealer a mile from my house, I decided to make the change. With just the two of us now, and my mother sadly passed away in December, we'll only ocasionally need the rear seats. I got a good part-ex value and the new XE was well priced. Of course January is the graveyard month for dealers here, so they were keen to deal.

So no more XJ for me from next Thursday. The two I've now owned have been superb cars but I decided to move on. The current XJ is a bit too large for me now, as we don't need roomy backseats anymore.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The current XJ is a bit too large for me now, as we don't need roomy backseats anymore.
I think under similar circumstances, I might have been tempted to "downsize" to an XK ;-)
Hope you'll continue to dip your toe into the XJ forums Fraser, you're a mine of valuable information!

LC

Etypephil (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Hope to still hear from you Frasier, you have saved my rear many times. We can't afford to lose another veteran.
Mark

Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Mr. Mitchell -
With over 7,000 posts and over 1,500 thank you's - you essentially can never completely disappear from the forums.

I've only been on since April 2018 and can appreciate the expertise you've added over the years.

I learn a lot visiting other areas of the forum and will look forward to learning from your expertise in other Jaguar models.
Best Regards
Mike D.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

I to recently did the Alternator but was able to get it out the back after removing the engine mount and the two bolts holding the steering rack andjacking the engine up. Removed the lower mount bolt and top nut and it slid off backwards and out. all done in about 3 hours.
Alternator had an odd failure, worked oK sometimes, or didn't charge or was putting out 16V. Transmission and other electronics behave oddly at these times trying to protect themselves, They did, all works fine now.

Etypephil (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts
Default 4 branched manifolds fitted

Had the custom four branched manifolds fitted, next stop is Dyno to confirm gains after the obligatory few hundred miles re-adaption cycle.

Tight to fit but went in without removing engine or undoing engine mounts.

Initial impressions are good, different note to the car now and seems alot smoother when driving, hopefully the Dyno run backs up the 'butt dyno'.

The following 3 users liked this post by caldoofy:
jackra_1 (01-22-2019), Panthro (02-06-2019), RDMinor (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow. Well done!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

To those who have thanked me for my contributions on the various Jaguars I have owned, I thank you all for your kind comments. I have not disappeared, and will still be looking in on this forum and passing on my own experience of these cars which was gained from ownership of two of them, a 2003 3 litre Sport, and a 2007 3 litre Sovereign. I only took over the XE yesterday and am still a bit nervous of taking it to our two local supermarkets where the standard of driving is not all that good. This coming weekend I hope to put more miles on the car. Interestingly, my old 1980 XJ6 that I had for 14 years up to 2002 is still around. I suspect all the work I did in those years has proved of benefit, but to another owner unfortunately !

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 01-25-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Panthro (02-06-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?