XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Romroc the module connects to 4 rear bumper and 4 front bumper sensors that give an audible warning when approaching objects.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fixed the rear sun shade

Was apparently just stuck, but really stuck. I put enough pressure on it I thought to break it but it finally went up. I left it there till I got some dry lube and sprayed it. Now hopefully it will stay operational.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Replaced the front sway bar bushings over the weekend. The old ones only lasted 3 years before they started clunking again. Removing the wheel linings and going in from the side made the job much faster than just going from the top alone. I wonder if it would be possible to do the rear sway bar bushings using the same method.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Weather has been perfect all week, sunny. Not bad for our damp climate here in England. And the promised thunderstorms didn't arrive.
So as it was the monthly Jaguar Enthusiasts Club (Cheshire Group) meeting tonight, I washed the dust off the car. We had three X350/358s tonight, all in light blue, and all clean !!

Old 07-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Treated my leather with leather protectant and conditioner. Gotta keep baby shiny and new!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Removed the flap from inside the air filter box. During the surgery on my cat I noticed the Mina gallery elbow had been crushed in by tightening the steel band too much, so I pounded it back out the best I could.

Found a split boot on the PS rear tie rod bush, yep another day another perished bush boot. Think I saw a split in the upper rear PS control arm boot too, needs more investigating.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well today I finally finished repainting the off-side rear door lower front quarter where I had a couple of small areas of filiform corrosion, (or the Creeping Lurgy as I call it). This was my third attempt because two previous aerosols did not give a close enough match. I had similar trouble with the old car which was Jaguar Racing Green, but being dark, I found it was easier to get a reasonably close match without it being too obvious. This later car, being in Frost Blue is very difficult.

I finally sent off for a third aerosol from another supplier, and this time it is a match. The trouble with metallic paints is that you can never reproduce the professional application process when you use a £15 aerosol, so even perfect matches can show variation. HOwever this time the weather was good and the paint matched up, so I was able to get the clear-coat on a few hours before our good old English climate gave us overnight rain.

So this morning, I set to, and flatted off the clear-coat with 2000 grade wet-or-dry followed by paint polish, and the car now looks a treat.

However this was not all !!

I recently discovered at each end of the boot lid, where it closes down by the rear screen, that paint had been rubbed off at the corners on the underside by the action of it closing against the horizontal rubber lip. So I cut the lip off using a Stanley knife, and have primed ready for some top coat tomorrow, weather permitting. This rubber lip does nothing at all that I can see, just act as a nice repository for grit and salt to attack the leading edge of the boot lid. I had it cut off on the previous car, with no bad results, only positive in that the filiform corrosion I had on that car never returned.

SO a complete morning pottering around on the old cat, then obey the Oberkommanderin der Wehrmacht in the afternoon !!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did my first oil change on the new kitty. Took 7 quarts with the filter, of Mobile 1 full syn high mileage 5w30.

Also cleaned up the chrome trim above the windows. Took my drill and meguires DA kit, and first hit the trim with compound and compound pad, then wax. It cleaned up the water spotting pretty well, I can still see it if I look really close, but no one else would ever notice it. So looking much better!

The bad news......found the bumper splash guard and engine under cover had some damage from previous owner. The two pieces were tie wrapped together. So, I removed and changed the oil, and re-tie wrapped them. Unfortunately, on way home from long trip yesterday, two of the tie wraps broke and the tray dragged on the road and broke part of it off. So last night I removed the engine undercover until I can get around to getting a new cover for both of those. Ahh always something! At least in the long run it will be right!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by acetrebo
The bad news......found the bumper splash guard and engine under cover had some damage from previous owner. The two pieces were tie wrapped together. So, I removed and changed the oil, and re-tie wrapped them. Unfortunately, on way home from long trip yesterday, two of the tie wraps broke and the tray dragged on the road and broke part of it off. So last night I removed the engine undercover until I can get around to getting a new cover for both of those. Ahh always something! At least in the long run it will be right!
I threw away my engine tray years ago. All it did was hide leaks until it was nearly too late.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I threw away my engine tray years ago. All it did was hide leaks until it was nearly too late.

Yeah, I'm debating that. My only concerns are a few of the sensors underneath the tranny getting wet, and increased corrosion due to snow/road salt getting into places it did not before. As well as potential damage to AC and brake lines from rocks or other debris.

I live in Ohio so I have winter to consider, although not usually too bad. I see you are in LA, so no road salt there.....

Old 07-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm debating that. My only concerns are a few of the sensors underneath the tranny getting wet, and increased corrosion due to snow/road salt getting into places it did not before. As well as potential damage to AC and brake lines from rocks or other debris.

I live in Ohio so I have winter to consider, although not usually too bad. I see you are in LA, so no road salt there.....
Yeah, I see your point about snow and salt. It would probably be better to leave it on then.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did my first oil change on the new kitty. Took 7 quarts with the filter, of Mobile 1 full syn high mileage 5w30.

Also cleaned up the chrome trim above the windows. Took my drill and meguires DA kit, and first hit the trim with compound and compound pad, then wax. It cleaned up the water spotting pretty well, I can still see it if I look really close, but no one else would ever notice it. So looking much better!

There are challenges to putting Humpty Dumpty together again. Still, a nice ride.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Same day I found a waterlogged sunshade my CD player had a "CDC Error".

Cannot eject cartridge. Bought another for $25 on Ebay and will see about installing that when it gets here.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Give the end of the cartridge a sharp tap with the handle of a screwdriver (for

example) and it should pop out like mine did.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meirion1
Give the end of the cartridge a sharp tap with the handle of a screwdriver (for

example) and it should pop out like mine did.
I will give that a try. Just did and it worked! I will now have a spare CD changer.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

I set my sunroof in place after braking the slider mechanism when I took it out to replace all of the headliner including the sunshade.

New parts on order but will wait until Winter to repair.

I swapped out all four oxygen sensors while I was in the mood.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

I found a big scrape mark at the rear of the driver-side sill where I seem to have bumped up against a kerb or something,, so over the last few days I have filled the scratches, painted, and then polished. Paint match is perfect so I've saved a few pounds on this DIY job !

Also had the front wheels balanced today. I had noticed some wheel trembling around 45 mph, now it's gone. Tyre fitter said balance was out but not by much.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

I decided to remove my spare tire for weight savings but the ride became really harsh and bouncy. I'm wondering if the extra weight back there helps with stability and I should it put it back.

Also got a Restricted Performance light for a quick second during the morning commute. Code says the ignition coil on Cylinder F is failing. Looks like a trip to Autozone is in order.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glovebox light and power socket...

So, my glove box light and power socket weren't working. I checked the contacts with a multimeter, no power. I then checked the fuses, all intact. So, Googled it and it came back with this site and some options. There is a decidedly fiddly connector that had become disconnected. So, after an hour and a half of investigation, problem solved. How much would that have cost at the main dealer.....

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

WAY MORE than it should!!!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?