XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

I started thinking of all the jobs I'd done on the car since buying it 18 months ago...
Not all essential by any means. It turns out to be quite a long list; The job I've just finished is fitting new rear shocks;

Replaced all the headlamp washer pipework, one broken jet and pump
Cleaned out windscreen washer bottle and filter which was completely blocked/full of crap
Replaced both HID bulbs after one started flickering
Replaced front and rear cracked bumper blades
Replaced inoperative drivers side wing mirror motor
Replaced both wing mirror puddle lamps with LEDs when one side went out
Replaced front side lights with LEDs
Replaced broken front fog lamp
Replaced cracked rear lamp cluster
Replaced wheel locknuts with standard
Replaced supercharger cooler water pump that started making a very nasty noise
Replaced all brake discs and pads
Replaced all three behind the headlamp earth points
Repaired the left hand side wheel arch liner
Repaired the front under tray
Replaced the main under engine under tray which was beyond repair
Replaced all the under tray/wheel arch liner fixings
Resprayed the front bumper
Replace front ARB bushings and drop links
Replaced front shock absorber bottom bushings
Fitted four new tyres
Procured new second key/remote fob
Refurbished various scratches to the seat leather and steering wheel
Replaced the front ashtray opening mechanism that was broken
Cleaned fuel pump screen filters and fitted new drivers side fuel gauge sender as part of an investigation into a problem with uneven levels of fuel in either side of saddle tank.. but haven’t got to the bottom of it yet!
Replaced broken rear door lock
Replaced broken rear ventilation centre console/panel
Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, cleaned MAF
Fitted CTEK battery charging plug
Fitted new amp, aux in socket, Bluetooth music connection, phone Bluetooth and all new speakers
Removed the armrest phone and replaced with USB accessory/charging sockets
New carpet matts
Fitted aftermarket heated seats to the front
Finally solved (Hopefully!) an airbag fault/flashcode for the drivers bolster airbag
Repaired driver’s seat switch and height adjustment motor
Fitted new rear shocks

Old 03-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2001, XJ8 - Gave her a nice long bath last night.
2003, XK8 - Last night I installed after market Bluetooth to radio module - works like a champ.
Took it out of the garage and drove it to work to listen to my new Bluetooth. It gets only 2k miles per year
Found out that I need to order 2 new micro switches for the doors.

Last edited by GregCPX; 03-29-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by paddyx350
I started thinking of all the jobs I'd done on the car since buying it 18 months ago...
Not all essential by any means. It turns out to be quite a long list; The job I've just finished is fitting new rear shocks;

Replaced all the headlamp washer pipework, one broken jet and pump
Cleaned out windscreen washer bottle and filter which was completely blocked/full of crap
Replaced both HID bulbs after one started flickering
Replaced front and rear cracked bumper blades
Replaced inoperative drivers side wing mirror motor
Replaced both wing mirror puddle lamps with LEDs when one side went out
Replaced front side lights with LEDs
Replaced broken front fog lamp
Replaced cracked rear lamp cluster
Replaced wheel locknuts with standard
Replaced supercharger cooler water pump that started making a very nasty noise
Replaced all brake discs and pads
Replaced all three behind the headlamp earth points
Repaired the left hand side wheel arch liner
Repaired the front under tray
Replaced the main under engine under tray which was beyond repair
Replaced all the under tray/wheel arch liner fixings
Resprayed the front bumper
Replace front ARB bushings and drop links
Replaced front shock absorber bottom bushings
Fitted four new tyres
Procured new second key/remote fob
Refurbished various scratches to the seat leather and steering wheel
Replaced the front ashtray opening mechanism that was broken
Cleaned fuel pump screen filters and fitted new drivers side fuel gauge sender as part of an investigation into a problem with uneven levels of fuel in either side of saddle tank.. but haven’t got to the bottom of it yet!
Replaced broken rear door lock
Replaced broken rear ventilation centre console/panel
Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, cleaned MAF
Fitted CTEK battery charging plug
Fitted new amp, aux in socket, Bluetooth music connection, phone Bluetooth and all new speakers
Removed the armrest phone and replaced with USB accessory/charging sockets
New carpet matts
Fitted aftermarket heated seats to the front
Finally solved (Hopefully!) an airbag fault/flashcode for the drivers bolster airbag
Repaired driver’s seat switch and height adjustment motor
Fitted new rear shocks
Sounds like you have a new cat now ?

Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Sounds like you have a new cat now ?
Not quite.. but getting there!!

Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

I fit a new license plate frame

Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 AM

When I changed my rear shocks recently both drop link top ball joint boots had gone.
So today I fitted new rear drop links on both sides.

There was a good bit of play at the top;

but both bottom ball joints were still tight;

Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a x358 few days ago

Just bought an 2009 X358 with 46K from down Oxford way, when I say down, I flew from Glasgow to London Heathrow, then a friend drove my to a location not to far from Oxford, looked at the car and bought it then drove it back to it's new home up in Ayrshire, Scotland and what an absolute treat on the motorway this car is. needs a few things but ticks the boxes for what I was looking for, I still have my 2003 S type that I'm going to sell once it's been put through an MOT should pass without any issues (I hope!) after spending just shy of £1600 on brake pipes, suspension arms and bushings and a new park brake motor and associated cables (common issue at 80K miles) with Prestige Jaguar doing an excellent job as always, anyway things I'd like to do is kit out the XJ with LED front and rear indicators (have then on the S type), and would like to get the DAB+ jaguar module fitted, looks doable... anyway only had the X358 for 2 days and love it.

Once I get detailed (done by me) will post some pics.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Congratulations
Sure you will love it

The following users liked this post:
carsos00 (05-04-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On my way to junk yard to finish stripping 2004 XJ8 of every usable part that I missed the first time! Targeting bonnet and boot struts, and rear window blind. Hope they are still there...and I can follow instructions from another thread re removing the rear seat! Most major mechanical and electronic parts have been stripped, but even smaller parts, e.g., clips, pins, etc., can be expensive for what they are!

Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just got back from a 450 mile trip from MA to MD and even tho my GPS is 2012 vintage it was a godsend when everyone was rerouted off of 95 south as they closed all lanes south bound with nothing other than "take rte whatever to rte 40 west".

As usual it was a night time trip and I only used 87 Octane gas and made sure my water/meth tank was topped up. I get the same mpg whether I use 87 or 93 gas.

Just put rear seats back in, took them out to boost junk carrying capability,. Will not do it again as that back section is heavy when trying to maneuver on my own.

Roads everywhere worse than I remember.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Just changed what appears to be the original front rotors, I still hear the ringing in my head the next day from beating them off.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

That ringing is irritating to say the least;
Hope it stops soon.
My front rotors came off easy enough mine.
The front hub, bearing assembly's on the 07 were a different story.
What a royal pain, the 04,s had not been a problem at all.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Fitted XFS front seats for a bit more lateral support in the bends. Job involved transplanting seat loom from the standard seat into the xf seat and changing the seat rails. Managed to find some in the same colour leather as my standards (dove). Also fitted the seat coolers to these new seats and despite not being perforated they still cool down nicely.

Also had a go at plasti dipping my splits to see if I liked copper centres, I did like them however the dip started lifting at the centre of the wheel so had to remove 😫.

Also painted the brake calipers from red to gun metal and did the disc centres black on the passenger side (drivers to do today).

The following 3 users liked this post by caldoofy:
Etypephil (04-25-2019), Geoff_C (03-03-2020), Panthro (08-07-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Single-handedly changed from winter to summer tires. Never again. Any possible position for handling heavy, to me, wheels is not a position where I can see the bolts for aligning the wheel to install, nor any position allowing proper lighting. Otherwise a 4-hour piece of cake.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

@humbug2
"Single-handedly changed from winter to summer tires. Never again. Any possible position for handling heavy, to me, wheels is not a position where I can see the bolts for aligning the wheel to install, nor any position allowing proper lighting. Otherwise a 4-hour piece of cake."

I did mine a few days ago. The key is to lift each wheel no more than one inch from the ground, align them outboard of the hub before attempting to lift them onto the studs, make sure that they are located on the centre lip, holding them in position while the lowest nut is fitted. I'll be seventy next year, and it takes me a leisurely half hour with a mug of tea.

Last edited by Etypephil; 04-25-2019 at 12:16 AM. Reason: The quote system isn't working.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Default Actually, it was yesterday.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New XF seats

Caldoofy, those seats are scrumptious. I've never gotten around to appreciating perforated leather, so those get my vote for best ever. Sad to think of an XF at the knackers, but I suppose it happens. How much did the seats cost? Do you know the donor car's year and mileage? The seats look brand new.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Not a good day!!!!!

Went to the supermarket for some bits and bobs only to come back and find a shopping trolley right up against the passenger side (UK left side) and found this, initially thought it was just a small scratch but NO, further inspection when I got home was a small dent....
Probably done by some knuckle dragging thick as a plank heathen with no self respect and an IQ that barley registers any brain activity...

The thing is as a rule I always park at end or the larger family spaces as was in this case, even after all this care, it's still a smallish dent but still gutted. waiting on a dent devil inspection ..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuhSGYFiJkq4iguAPpHC3RNgCDbo

Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteK812
Caldoofy, those seats are scrumptious. I've never gotten around to appreciating perforated leather, so those get my vote for best ever. Sad to think of an XF at the knackers, but I suppose it happens. How much did the seats cost? Do you know the donor car's year and mileage? The seats look brand new.
Hi Pete,

Thanks.

Got them for an absolute bargain £250 (full interior) from all the date stamps on the seats they are from a 2012 model, don't know mileage. They are in better condition than the ones I removed that's for sure and are the correct dove grey colour to match the rest of the interior. Next job is to see if I can get the rear bench to fit!

As an added benefit I now have a full set of seat motors/ controls and a seat module from the seats to sell 👍

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-09-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by carsos00
Went to the supermarket for some bits and bobs only to come back and find a shopping trolley right up against the passenger side (UK left side) and found this, initially thought it was just a small scratch but NO, further inspection when I got home was a small dent....
Probably done by some knuckle dragging thick as a plank heathen with no self respect and an IQ that barley registers any brain activity...

The thing is as a rule I always park at end or the larger family spaces as was in this case, even after all this care, it's still a smallish dent but still gutted. waiting on a dent devil inspection ..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuhSGYFiJkq4iguAPpHC3RNgCDbo
I couldn't follow your link; commiserations nonetheless. My supermarket actic is either to try to park between two other apparently well cared for cars, or "inadvertently" park in such a manner that it is impossible to park next to my car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?