XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by domer94
nice connor, what did you use on your wool mats? I have used woolite in the past , but any special technique? man , these interiors are so refreshing to look at.. like nothing else out there now
Absolutely, these interiors EASILY looked better then any of the non british luxury cars at the time and don't look nearly as dated as pretty much all of them today.

But not particularly I do use "Ammo **** Cleaner" from a detailing brand I found https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-****-fabric-cleaner/
I remember the last time I cleaned the mats I just sprayed them liberally making it more shampoo like and hand scrubbed them then let them air dry.
The stuff is kind of expensive but I always get it as the whole interior kit because for me it's just an easy one stop place to get everything (a **** cleaner, a cleaner for leather/plastics, and a leather conditioner)

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-interiorregimen-kit/

Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Roof over my head

Did a roof headlining refit, again, after doing one 3 years back.
Had issue with 1st lining that was 3/16, rather than 1/8. Not much different right? Well it really affects the person of the sunroof shade that ended up jamming.
It's not too bad a job, after taking out rear seat, front passenger seat, trim, and managing not to stick contact adhesive headlining to itself.
Do have to be careful to leave enough slack to form the shapes in the hand holds, but not so much to allow a crease.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Talking What did you do to your X350 the last 10 days

Over the last 10 days I have:
1. Replaced the valley hose as well as all the other hoses
2. Replaced the Supercharger, with one I rebuilt some time ago, along with all the associated gaskets
3. Replaced throttle body
4. Replaced EGR valve, hose an gaskets
5. Replaced All of the tensioners and pulleys and drive and supercharger belts (Had squeak)
6. Replaced antifreeze/coolant
7. Replaced front and rear air springs with Arnott coil conversions (Rides Great!)
8. Front and rear upper and lower wishbones and all linkage
9. Front headlamps and Ballast (Had flickering lights)
So, you see I haven't done very much at all.
Oh! I forgot to mention, I also replaced the rear rotors, brake pad and parking brake pads.

Last edited by joeleerj; 05-18-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
The following 2 users liked this post by joeleerj:
arnottdoug (05-20-2019), Etypephil (05-23-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by joeleerj
2. Replaced the Supercharger, with one I rebuilt some time ago, along with all the associated gaskets
5. Replaced All of the tensioners and pulleys and drive and supercharger belts (Had squeak)
7. Replaced front and rear air springs with Arnott coil conversions (Rides Great!)
Oh! I forgot to mention, I also replaced the rear rotors, brake pad and parking brake pads.
Y'all, Joe is 1 of the more proactive People I have ever known! He has multiples of everything; I'm surprise he doesn't have 2 XJR's! Hahaha

I was witness to all of his latest en devours!..

Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, since posting the original message I noticed the steering wheel was a little off so I took it to Firestone Autocare today and let them have a go: choosing them based on convenience and price. They did tell me that "...the castors were at the limit" so its not 100% perfect but seems to drive fine. I'll do some research on what that means - the guy did explain it but its difficult without actually seeing it.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Marque
Y'all, Joe is 1 of the more proactive People I have ever known! He has multiples of everything; I'm surprise he doesn't have 2 XJR's! Hahaha

I was witness to all of his latest en devours!..
Hahaha! I looked into a second XJR, but the wife vetoed it! LOL. Don't let Marque fool you, he's no slouch in the fix up department. He sold me on the ARNOTTS. Thanks Bud!!

The following users liked this post:
Marque (05-19-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:27 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Got in, drove it home, loved it!

I don't get to enjoy it as much as I used to, because I need to drive my 4WD tool truck around so much, but tonight I drove home in my Jag and it was peaceful and lovely. We spend so much time and energy with the niggling details, and impending repairs, that we lose sight of the pure pleasure. In my case, it was hitting the country roads toward Brown County in the misty hours near midnight, sunroof open, reveling in the smooth, the acceleration, the ride, the precision. The leather, the glow of the dash lights, LOVE. THIS. CAR.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:21 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by joeleerj
Busy chap!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Etypephil
Busy chap!
Indeed!!!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Decided to treat myself to a week long holiday in Cancun for my birthday, family tagged along too. While away I dropped the cat off with the mechanic for some much needed upkeep/pampering.

Had the following done:
Replaced original supercharger IC pump with Bosch 010 and electrical connection. Nothing wrong with the original, just decided to replace it before it could give out on me this summer.
Replaced leaking main water pump, sourced a new Motorcraft for $130, same part as original.
Replaced driver side shock bush.
Replaced rear lower control arm bushes, purchased original Lemforder from online German site for $30ea.
Replaced upper rear control arms with new Lemforders.
Replaced supercharger IC incoming hose (with T plastic connection), it developed a very small dribble at the T connection.
Replaced original thermostat with new one, nothing wrong with the original.
Brake fluid flushed.

I removed headlights and used Meguiar's headlight restore kit on them, they look better than new now.
I just replace the Xenon headlights (Osram 66043), as they were flickering and had lost their brightness. New genuine Osram 66140 4500k went in ($100 a pair & 4year warranty), so many fakes advertised online!!
Replaced faulty front parking sensor, found shorted out wiring and repaired it too.
Headlight washer had dropped into the bumper, re-seated it in the bumper while restoring the headlights.
While changing the headlights I saw a large screw had embedded itself into the front passenger side tire. Lucky Discount Tire offers free rotation and repair, so had them do both.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:33 PM

I had the same Arnott replacement shock on my XJR when I purchased it, Arnott told me they used the original Jaguar/Bilstein shock and just refurbished the bladder and seals. They stopped doing it as the failure rate was too high.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:39 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
I had the same Arnott replacement shock on my XJR when I purchased it, Arnott told me they used the original Jaguar/Bilstein shock and just refurbished the bladder and seals. They stopped doing it as the failure rate was too high.
That's a really strange thing, in England the original air suspension seems to go forever, just an occasional easy and inexpensive pump overhaul or replacement being required; a climate thing perhaps? One of the many disadvantages of living here is the £104.84 I paid yesterday to fill the fuel tank with 99 octane, our trouble is never having had a successful revolution.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had assumed my "questionable" ride quality on our dreadful UK pot holed roads was down the hydraulic damper part of the air suspension units wearing out (approaching 140k miles) But just replaced my front nearside hub/bearing assembly. The difference in ride quality and handling is unbelievable! Going to have the offside done ASAP. Also replaced both headlamp units (halogen) the old ones were in a terrible state due to water ingress, previous owner hadn't pushed the clips back down properly when installing new bulbs. I got very lucky, found a breaker selling used ones in perfect condition for £80 each. My cat now has a pair of shiny new eyes in perfect working order!

Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Etypephil
That's a really strange thing, in England the original air suspension seems to go forever, just an occasional easy and inexpensive pump overhaul or replacement being required; a climate thing perhaps? One of the many disadvantages of living here is the £104.84 I paid yesterday to fill the fuel tank with 99 octane, our trouble is never having had a successful revolution.
Yeah, the colder winter weather here in the US gets to them. The top seal leaks in freezing temps, I had an original do this on the otherside to the Arnott reman. The next year the Arnott reman was leaking from the bottom of the bladder. So, I now have 4 new Arnott sports 28xx. I know the pain of fuel costs, I moved to the US from Sydney Australia, everything is 1/3 of the price in the US. Usually around $50-60 (winter/summer) to fill her up with Shell V-power.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

There are still a few good things about living in the rust belt.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hard at work

Well done a few things but haven't kept up posts. Last was a thermostat change to 13* cooler with new pure coolant from Mercedes Benz. I work for Benz and have seen their coolant perform better. Exhaust work, see photo. Cold air intake pipe with K&N.

Second coat of this wonderful Topcoat F11 on the original paint. Mounted some 27540R19 to the rear, love the stance and grip. Rebuilt suspension compressor with new piston ring, real breeze and great pressure. Next step 010 IC pump...

Coooooooool

Cat back 2.5" x pipe to dual 40 series flowmasters

The following 2 users liked this post by James Teddy Gillis:
Geoff_C (03-03-2020), Panthro (11-27-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I replaced my driver door weatherstrip seal today.
Bought a used rear door weatherstrip seal, on Ebay, and it is about 6" longer than I needed. So all is good.

Have been watching out for such a seal for quite a while.

The pic is of the original and shows where I have rubbed up against the flimsy rubber getting in and out of tight spaces when in my garage.

The passenger side is worse so now that I know the rear seals fit I am buying the other one the seller has.

Last edited by jackra_1; 05-30-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

I don't know if people are aware of my 'ahem' brilliant solution for worn door seals?

The wear is usually half way up the drivers' side.

Make a pencil sized piece of foam and cover with black tape.

Insert foam into the worn section of the seal so that it is held at both ends.

Now this is the clever bit (this guy really pi....s me off).

Swap the drivers' door seal with the passenger side and the worn bit ends up by the footwell and you never notice it

and the joins are still underneath the kick plate and invisible.

Cover the area which may wear again with a strip of black tape.

Total cost $ nada

Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I paid $35 a piece including shipping for the perfect looking weather strips. Seller came down from $45 each.

As with anything for these cars used on Ebay sellers will usually come down quite a bit especially if the item was sitting for a while.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Last week I came across the first ever Jaguar I owned (1965 Mk10 which my family purchased in 1972 or 7yrs old and sold in 1988). In the For Sale columns...which I peruse...as you do... The owner kindly agreed to a photo op of my old Mk10 alongside my current X358.

Whilst you admire the lines of whichever car you prefer, what struck me is this. I remembered the Mk10 as extremely large. In which case, it is TRUE that the X350/X358 grew substantially from the original XJ6. Coz the X358 looks near the same size as the Mk10 to me apart from width. Just sayin' :-)

From another angle, this captures the very First and Last of that Classic Jaguar front (1961~2008).

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-04-2019 at 08:50 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
Colm O (06-17-2020), jackra_1 (06-04-2019), Panthro (08-20-2019), wwr (06-05-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?