XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Winter is a doozy for fender benders

Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Winter is a doozy for fender benders

And to think that I was just having a good chuckle at the fact that both my wife's friend and her friend's father both got hit within the same week in their cars.

Well, it finally happened. After over two years of ownership I had someone hit me. I have no clue who, and it wasn't terrible, (scrapes and a minor dent) but it'll require body work and a respray, or possibly another fender.

I used to be a rearend magnet in my younger years. I have never been at fault and seem to always get hit for some reason. I was actually doing pretty good with this car. The car before the last I had for a total of two weeks before a semi truck bumped me. The one before that I had for about a month before a ding from someone caused the whole side to be repainted. The worst was when I was a teenager out in my dad's 55 Chevy Bel Air street rod (why he let me take that out on my own I'll never know) and was rearended by a truck full of, well, we'll just say I wasn't even sure if they were legal citizens that hardly spoke English. I was just naive enough not to call the police to file a report, and took their information down myself. I still remember the look in my old man's eyes when I related the story...I thought he would have my hide. Fortunately it worked out and their insurance covered it. $6,000+ later in repairs, the car was ready to drive again.

Anyways, any guesstimates as to what this might cost for insurance to repair?

Attached Thumbnails Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_1446.jpg   Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_1447.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Just a quick update on this fender scuff. Body shop quoted $950 for a fender respray (not even a new fender!) and insurance deductible was $300.

Finally had time today to correct the damage on my own. After a wash, clay bar, Flex 3401 using a blue pad with Meguiars M-105, then orange pad with Meguiars D-151, and 20 minutes....

There are a few minor scratches that will not come out, but I can live with them for almost $1000. I expected there to be a few more scratches left, so it came out better than I thought.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_0140.jpg   Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_0141.jpg   Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_0142.jpg   Winter is a doozy for fender benders-img_0143.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

We all have scratches, & scars, so do our cat's.