Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   XJ8 Rear Seat Removal (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/xj8-rear-seat-removal-19489/)

mitch.thompson 06-28-2009 02:27 PM

XJ8 Rear Seat Removal

It's me again (Margaret).

Just noticed that the latch for the middle seat belt in the back seat is fallen beneath the rear seat. I tried the "push back-lift up" method common for most U.S. cars, but it didn't work.

I've done Google searches, and searched the archives of several Jaguar forums, but couldn't find how to remove the rear (bench) seat cushion in a 2004 XJ8. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

MarlboroLTS 07-01-2009 11:45 PM

I don't know if we are the same, but I have an '06 XJR....feel around the lower front edge for some plastic triangler shaped "fingers". If you find them, try to move them either left or right. They are latch releases (4 of them). If they won't move, put a little downward pressure on the seat at the same point as the latch. Once you have released all 4 latches, lift the front of the seat up to unhook the rear. Be mindful of any wiring for heated seats or whatever. Hope this helps Bro.

mitch.thompson 07-08-2009 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MarlboroLTS (Post 123425)
I don't know if we are the same, but I have an '06 XJR....feel around the lower front edge for some plastic triangler shaped "fingers". If you find them, try to move them either left or right. They are latch releases (4 of them). If they won't move, put a little downward pressure on the seat at the same point as the latch. Once you have released all 4 latches, lift the front of the seat up to unhook the rear. Be mindful of any wiring for heated seats or whatever. Hope this helps Bro.

Thank you MarlboroLTS, they are indeed the same. The seat came up with no problems, I was able to recover the seatbelt latch, and netted $1.74 in change in the process ;^). Good for a gallon of Premium gasoline, anyway...

magmedia 02-15-2011 07:18 PM

Rear seat removal - 2005 XJ8L

Anyone else successful in removing the rear seat on an 2005 XJ8L?

I have re-read the above and retried to remove the back seat but am unable to move the 'fingers' left or right. Am I missing another bit of info?

EDIT: So, should I be feeling for the levers/latches through the leather or reaching behind and up the seat foam to find the release?

Thanks-

tarhealcracker 02-15-2011 08:27 PM

It is in fact damn difficult on some cars. The key is downward pressure on the seat as you pull the latches down. I had to get the dealer tech to walk me thru it the first time but it is still a 2 man job for me.:icon_razz:

magmedia 02-16-2011 11:03 AM

Tarheal-

Thanks for the response. I will enlist a second set of hands and give it another go.

To clarify, am I reaching under/behind the foam edge of the seat, or should these release latches be able to be reached and moved through the leather on the 'face' of the seat?

Drew 02-16-2011 11:23 AM

They are under the seat of the edge that faces the front of the car, by your feet.

bondman07052 01-23-2013 06:42 PM

I am in the same boat. i bought a 2008 XJ8L and am missing the middle seat belt attachment. I have playd with taht seat for an hor and cant get the middle to release !
RRGGG !

bondman07052 01-23-2013 06:43 PM

thanks for the info on how to do it- I will have my 7 year old sit on it while I try and release it again,

Jag XJ8 Red 01-23-2013 07:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here ya go! Helps to have little fingers.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1358990152

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1358990152

bondman07052 01-24-2013 07:27 AM

thanks- that was so nice of you to post that.

H20boy 06-06-2014 11:49 PM

Jag XJ8...photos were a HUGE help with my rear seat back disassembly. If I could have given you 10 more thank-you clicks, I surely would have. There is no way I would have gotten my seat bottom removed without knowing what I was looking for and where.

gmcgann 06-07-2014 08:44 AM

Hey, what strikes me is that in the original post from 2009 $1.74 was enough for a gallon of premium!
:icon_eddie:

slmskrs 09-02-2017 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jag XJ8 Red (Post 662645)

Great pictures. Gave me an idea of what I was feeling around for. I made this quick video to show how to press the latches to release the seat. I could find them, but about broke a finger trying to push them the wrong way. Once you know which way they go, it is a piece of cake to remove the bottom cushion. I only had one (far right one) that I had to push down a little on the seat cushion while pressing the lever (fingers didn't like that). But I had the seat out in under a minute. I suggest putting a screwdriver or something next to each latch when you release it so that the seat doesn't pop back into the latch while you're working on the next one.

2004.X350.XJ6.Austria 09-18-2017 05:37 AM

Wow, thank you! Only your video really clinched it. I did it in 15 minutes. Thanks!

genec 09-24-2017 06:17 PM

I agree. This was very helpful. Sometimes something that seems obvious to someone isn't obvious to everyone.

If a picture is worth a thousand :icon_pics:...then a video is worth a million "attaboys" :icon_clapclap:.

Thanks again!

abonano 09-24-2017 06:34 PM

And if you need to remove the rear bench just pull the two cloth pulls hanging under the base of the rear bench. They look like seat belts minus the latches but you pull each then pull the bench out.

Took me a while to figure out on a 2005 VP breaker vehicle.

Nautivan 12-13-2021 06:15 AM

Rear bucket seat removal 2006 Xj350 super v8 Portfolio

Anyone have tips on how to remove the rear bucket seat bottoms? Am I feeling for the same triangular levers as in a bench seat? Makes sense that the hardware on body is the same regardless of seat fitment. None of seat controls on side - recline, headrest and lumbar - are operational thus I’m assuming it must be switch. The memory buttons on the door will move the seat ever so slightly. The seat switches on the other side are fully functioning. Can the seat switch be removed without removing the seat bottom?

roviw 12-13-2021 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nautivan (Post 2474675)
Anyone have tips on how to remove the rear bucket seat bottoms? Am I feeling for the same triangular levers as in a bench seat? Makes sense that the hardware on body is the same regardless of seat fitment. None of seat controls on side - recline, headrest and lumbar - are operational thus I’m assuming it must be switch. The memory buttons on the door will move the seat ever so slightly. The seat switches on the other side are fully functioning. Can the seat switch be removed without removing the seat bottom?

When my electric rear seat on one side was not working when i first bought my 2004 Super v8 i also thought it may be a switch, however it was sorted by the dealer doing a software update ! no need to renew the switch after all.
Sometime electronics in cars can be like a computer, turn it off and on again, I dont know whether a hard reset ( disconnect battery for a while and the reconnect ), may help you.

Nautivan 12-13-2021 09:26 AM

Unintended consequences of hard Re-set

Thank you Roviw. Are there potential untintended consequences from a “hard Re-set?” In other words, is there any known reason I should be reluctant to try this?