XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJL 2011 - headlights flicker when turn signal on (intermittent issue)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJL 2011 - headlights flicker when turn signal on (intermittent issue)

Hi,

I, and the mechanics who've been working on my car, have been trying to resolve an intermittent issue with the headlights flickering (cutting on an off constantly at times) while the turn signal is active and we cannot diagnose the source of the problem. I wanted to try posting here before taking it to the dealership and was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar to this and if they have any advice or suggestions to help pinpoint the issue. The steps we've taken to resolve this are:

STEPS TAKEN SO FAR
  1. Basic diagnosis - hard to reproduce no related issues discovered (shop)
  2. Replace headlights and ballasts (shop)
The car was in the shop for nearly the entire month of September because the mechanics were trying to reproduce the issue. They've replaced the headlights and ballasts, as stated above, and the problem seemed to have been resolved but recently (2 weeks after service) noticed it happening again. I've observed this via the headlight reflection on three separate occasions to date while sitting behinds cars in the left turning lane with the left signal light on.

THE PROBLEM HAS ALWAYS OCCURRED WHEN:
  • Car stopped at a light (in Drive)
  • Headlights ON ("On" and "Auto" setting)
  • LEFT turn signal ON
  • During low and good lighting day/night (referring to auto sensor)
I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN WHEN:
  • The RIGHT turn signal was ON
  • The turn signals were OFF (headlights ON only)
Obviously the problem may have occurred at other times that I may not have been able to observe due to no visible indicators being available (i.e. no visible headlight reflection/illumination from drivers seat, etc.). I've tried to reproduce this while idling (parked) but haven't had any luck. If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to share.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have preety much the same problem. did someone fixt it? any ideas? thx

Old 06-22-2023, 10:52 AM

aaaa....and another thing. my lever for the lights, when on off, still has low beam on. how is that possible?
please, some ideas would be great
thx

Old 06-22-2023, 05:14 PM
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

Hi Grussel,
Firstly, your 2011 car is not covered by this forum, which is for the 2003 - 2009 X350 and X358 cars. Yours is an X351, and there is a forum for that car.
Having said that, this issue is a known problem on X350/8. Most people find replacing the turn signal wand and switch assembly solves it. It may be that the X351 has a similar turn signal mechanism. Replacing the turn signal is not difficult, and many owners have carried out this task. I understand that the issue is that a very fine wire in the mechanism gets chafed over time and causes intermittent headlight loss. I am not sure if the mechanism is repairable, but a microscope would be almost certainly required.
Regards
Pete M

Old 06-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

X358 - I replaced the indicator stalk which fixed intermittent headlights. Instructions on Youtube.
I took the risk of a 2nd-hand stalk and got away with it.
I attempted to pull the old stalk apart and got into trouble!
Here's a video

Old 08-05-2023, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pete M
Hi Grussel,
Firstly, your 2011 car is not covered by this forum, which is for the 2003 - 2009 X350 and X358 cars. Yours is an X351, and there is a forum for that car.
Having said that, this issue is a known problem on X350/8. Most people find replacing the turn signal wand and switch assembly solves it. It may be that the X351 has a similar turn signal mechanism. Replacing the turn signal is not difficult, and many owners have carried out this task. I understand that the issue is that a very fine wire in the mechanism gets chafed over time and causes intermittent headlight loss. I am not sure if the mechanism is repairable, but a microscope would be almost certainly required.
Regards
Pete M

I dismantle d the turn lever. You can see the blue wire with problems. And I thing there is another one on the same way. Problem made by choke point where the wires to from the arm to the square part that is in the volume on the steering wheel. At this moment, I think I can resoulder new wires and with a dremel I can enlarge the choke point to solve the issue. Xan someone help me with Info In how to open the switch part? Is there a special way to get in the command area? Where you switch the light? There is a little electronic board Nd I need to solder one end of the wires. In my opinion, with access to that little board and some good eyes you can replace the wires no problem. And a steady hand. I have bought another turn signal, but I want to make this as a spare. Because there aren't a lot of sh parts left ok and I rather have mine redone. For other pictures….. Please ask. So….. How do I open the command end of the lever? Thx